Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever sailed passed Brighton on a boat?

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
I steamsd past Brighton a few times 30 odd years back on small coasters , the most memorable being on the bridge in the early hours and seeing Brighton marina on the radar , after a year away in Africa it was a grand view - not much sleep till discharge at Ipswich !

Arnois2

Apr 15, 2011
Sirindhorn, Bangkok.
I spent 10 years in the Navy and only sailed passed Brighton once when I was on HMS Sandown in 1996, I think we were on our way to Pompey for some reason even though we were based in Rosyth and then Faselane. Could only really make out the Palace Pier and a few lights as it was poor weather.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Used to go out from near the Marina in kayaks often when I was at 6th form (every Wednesday) and we often went a long way out. I also went in the speedboat rides they used to do off the pier when I was a small child.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I was a crew member (Missileman) on HMS Brighton the time you are talking about, and i did show some cadets around the ship. would have been April 79, we sailed from Brighton after about 4 days for 4 months out the Carribean,

It could well have been April '79 but that would have been a little too early for my stint in the school CCF as I would only have been 12 at the time, my recollection is that it was a year or two after that when I was between 14 and 16 and actually in the CCF but it's possible some of us younger pupils were invited along as they probably knew which of the pupils were going in which section ( Army, RN or RAF ) of the CCF (or OTC if you will) by that point in the school year. Time can play strange tricks on memories.

Strictly speaking, as cadets we were only ' Wavy Navy ' anyway. Some got a chance to go out on the Minesweeper based at HMS Sussex in Shoreham harbour but I wasn't one of them. What really killed my thoughts of a Naval career was doing the Cliff and Chasm run at HMS Royal Arthur on one of our annual camps - never, ever, ever again thank you. ( For those of you who don't know, think of it as a version of the Royal Military Tattoo Field Gun competition but without the gun, just the limber and a large heavy trunk of wood ). Unbelievably hard work, whilst being harangued from all sides by maniacal Chief Petty Officers.

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Warspite came with our taskgroup to the far east, and didnt surface until Cape Town... pretty easy to spot the pasty faced members of her crew ashore haha..

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I did Brighton Regatta between the piers in the coxed fours circa 1979

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Actually, some old sub surfaced next to the Ark in mid Atlantic, and the crew came on board for showers,...jesus....I understand you can just get posted to these deathtraps now? Was a volunteer service still, when I was in RN

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Actually, some old sub surfaced next to the Ark in mid Atlantic, and the crew came on board for showers,...jesus....I understand you can just get posted to these deathtraps now? Was a volunteer service still, when I was in RN

modern subs are like home from home now Dave. the older diesel boats etc were the death traps and they earnt their 'submariners pay' even though they never purchased dhoby gear with it :)

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I didn't volunteer for the things as it was in the small print of my Naval Contract !!!
Was a skimmer first on HMS Antrim, Ulster and Rame Head then got drafted to boats and ended up on Bombers on HMS/Revenge (Port)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here