Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever sailed passed Brighton on a boat?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Went on one of those tourist boats that leave the marina and go out to the west pier and back, the weather was shocking and they almost canceled it. Was more like a theme park ride than a tour.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Dont remember seeing any in partcularly rough weather...but i remember we were unable to catch a 'trawler' ... thing was motoring...I used to love it when we came across soviets at sea...our officers would be rushing about with notebooks, binoculars, charts, and all manner of nonsense....look at their ship, and see their offficers doing the same... whereas the crew of both ships were down at the back waving to each other haha...

tried to follow plenty of them dave. officer of the watch creaming himself and the secret squirrels with their books out trying to suss out the types of surveillance(sp?) aerials etc on their upper deck. did the odd 'moony' to them too.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
We watched the crew on one exercising one morning...cant be many trawlers with a crew of 50 plus haha Used to be one waiting for the Ark whenever we left harbour, and we had to speak to them over the radio to position them in our group to avoid accidental collisions...think some US Destroyer cut one in half during an exercise, so after that, had to include them on our board.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I paid £15 last year to go mackerel fishing by the Marina, you go out a fair way and get a pretty good view of the City, and I came back with about twenty mackerel.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I'm interested in what else you could sail past on other than a boat?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we are heading from Southampton to the Fjords so technically I will be passing Brighton on Friday evening the 26th july sometime.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
About 4 years ago went on a stag do and we hired one of those speed boats that take you from the Marina to Southwick Power Station. Great fun as they deliberately hit the waves, obviously got life jackets on throughout. They wind in and out to the beach as close as they can then back around the piers etc.. Great fun.

Recommend it.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Crewing a yacht some years ago and coming from the Solent to Brighton Marina (BM) was very impressive considering the seas at the time, such that we ended up stuck in BM for two days as the weather was just so bad.

It looked just as good once we eventually got to sail out again.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No. I don't think you have missed much. I have seen it from my mates crabber in the 80's and a yacht 10 years ago. Brunswick Terrace, Brunswick Square and Adelaide Crescent stood out and that's it. I hasten to add, allegedly, as I do not wish to be sued, if Gus, Tony Bloom or Paul Barber may think it's a great view. Allegedly.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Yes, a few times on HMS Exeter circa 1983/4 and 6. Coming from the West, the shoreham power station was always the first landmark to say we were close, and the cliffs at peacehaven from the east...

goldstonegull

Feb 18, 2009
plymouth
As it happens, yes I've seen Brighton from a boat on two occasions:

a) When HMS Brighton, a Rothsay type anti-submarine frigate, was moored next to Brighton Marina, as a Naval Cadet we were transfered out to the ship on a motor launch and given a tour round.
b) In a small dinghy when sailing off Shoreham Harbour.

I have to say both occasions were a memorable day for different reasons. Sadly HMS Brighton was scrapped just 4 years after my tour round her. Ignominiously she was used as target practice between decomissioning in 1981 ( probably why she was off the Marina ) and scrapping in 1985.

On attempting to return to Shoreham harbour in the dinghy we were caught on an ebb tide and spent most of the late afternoon floundering around in front of the Harbourmasters / Coastguard tower and the RNLI Station, getting absolutely nowhere as the wind was being stolen by a large block of flats every time we attempted a tack. Eventuallly we gave up, pulling up alongside the jetty, clambering up to the tower and requested a tow upstream. After much delay a coaster came to our aid and whilst we were being towed up to the yacht club we passed the club rescue launch heading out to the Channel in the oppposite direction.

I was a crew member (Missileman) on HMS Brighton the time you are talking about, and i did show some cadets around the ship. would have been April 79, we sailed from Brighton after about 4 days for 4 months out the Carribean,

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Passed Brighton many times , on passage between Pompey and Chatham when we still had a naval base there, and funnily enough that was mainly on Rothesay class frigates. I SERVED on three, Yarmouth, Rothesay, and Berwick. The Berwick was canteen boat when one of the bigger ships blew up the Yarmouth, test firing Exocets,so l saw an old ship of my one sunk. Co-incidentally, the last ship I ever SERVED on was towed away for scrap, yesterday,so all my old ships are now razor blades.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yes, went on a boat trip from those rough looking folks down at the Marina. Flown over it too on the way back from Germany. Looks great from above.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Went on a motorboat from Shoreham to Eastbourne once, and tried, and rather pathetically failed, in my one and only attempt at waterskiing in my life, just east of the Pal*ce Pier :lolol:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was on a friend's yacht that we took from Brighton Marina to Littlehampton on a freezing cold February day back in the eighties. Don't remember much about the Brighton skyline but the whisky added to the coffee was memorable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here