Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have You Ever Lived Near A Football Ground

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Lived in Luton for a year and the ground was right at the end of the street, never went though :)

Mid eighties I lived in Downs Road (about 5 minutes walk away) and went to quite a few games. I was even caught up in the legendary "Millwall riot", I hadn't been to the game I'd gone to see a band play at The Wheatsheaf in Dunstable and was walking home from the bus stop when world war three broke out and I had to duck and cover.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
After being expelled from Brighton College I ended up living my Nan in St Albans for 6 months, a spit away fromClarence Park which is the ground for St Albans City. Ate my sandwiches on the terrace during break time at the college and took in a few games. Saw them play Lewes away some years ago. Incidentally they play Whitehawk next weekend (Whitehawk's ground was our brighton college pitches so I've seen a few games there too. Gutted we are at home next weekend to be fair. Quite fancy the Whitehawk/snorbans game!!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

This is a fantastic photo Rev, also a very sad sight.

There was something very special about seeing the Goldstone floodlights.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I remember there was always a really old couple who lives above the West stand and would watch every game. Can recall them retrieving the ball from their garden on several occasions!

Do you mean the East Terrace at The Goldstone?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Absolutely. I love the Goldstone flood lights, something amazing once you saw them on the horizon

What photo can you see in my post?
I posted one of Rev's photos of a Goldstone floodlight taken during the demolition.
I can now see a photo of Sheebo's avator :shrug:

Edit- I can see a floodlight again now.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Did you go to the pub last night? I noticed that was posted very late :)

If I told you the truth you'd prob not believe me ... I went Curling :lol:

I remember there was always a really old couple who lives above the West stand and would watch every game. Can recall them retrieving the ball from their garden on several occasions!

My parents bought the house after me so could well have been my uncle and mum.Bottom right hand corner of the picture below shows my uncle second one in holding rolled up paper. Picture from the 1930's:thumbsup:

Attachments

• scan0039.jpg
    scan0039.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 170

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I was brought up in Conewood Street, right next to Highbury. All I remember was the steaming piles of horse-shit and my mum jumping every time they scored. Ironically, I never went to a match there.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
My first place away from family was opposite the Blues ground in Small Heath, for those who know as you walk up the hill towards the ground on the right side behind what is now McDonalds (was a pub then).

Thankfully could see none of the pitch but saw many a fight on the Coventry Rd outside the Bingo hall which is now empty and a parking spot.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was brought up in Conewood Street, right next to Highbury. All I remember was the steaming piles of horse-shit.

Sounds a bit like what it must be like for people living near our Lancing training complex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here