Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have You Ever Lived Near A Football Ground

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Lived in goldstone lane pretty much could see the whole pitch:moo:

Golly, those are horrible pictures. My old man was in Mill View for a while last year, and I walked from there to Hove Station to get to the Reading game after dropping Mum off to visit him. The wall along Goldstone Lane has been rebuilt in the old style and it brought all the old memories flooding back. In fact, driving down Nevill Road to get to Mill View was a horrible experience. It was bad enough going to visit Dad in that hole (which we did every evening when he was in there), but having to retrace it over an area that gave me some of the happiest days of my life made it even worse.

Talking of living near football grounds, as a student at the University of Buckingham, my first year hall of residence was just a few hundred yards from Ford Meadow, then the home of Buckingham Town (you could see the ground from the refectory). It is yet another closed ground (BT now play down in Winslow, about 10 miles away). I broke in and took a look the last time I was up there, and the place was lying empty with the grass about two feet tall. A Project Manager at the university told me they were thinking of bidding for it to extend the campus. @Whing for President will know where I am talking about.

Last edited:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I used to live about 200 yards from the Valley, in the street round the corner from the home end.

Our house was also next door to a pub so matchdays my front wall became a bench for Charlton fans to sit with their pints. All good fun but it was a pain having to move your car on matchdays because it became a no-parking zone.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I lived in the Dell for a year, albeit obviously after it was knocked down and turned into flats. They did leave a little bit of turf about where the centre circle would have been.

I lived on Wilton Avenue for 4 years whilst at and after uni. The ground was gone but there was still some graffiti by away fans dotted here and there.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I was brought up in Goldstone Crescent. Often watched the team training in Hove Park. Can't remember why they used it sometimes but they did. It just seemed normal to have football at the end of the garden. Floodlights and distant shouting meant the reserves were playing. We've got dozens of reserve 'programmes' somewhere ("price two pence"). Mum used to guess the crowd by how far along GC cars were parked. If they got past the end of the park, it usually meant 20,000. Always got home in time to hear James Alexander Gordon reading the results :thumbsup:

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I used to live within a minute of Selhurst Park.

Not once did I go there apart from seeing us play.

Used to see some sights.

Palace 'lads' chasing QPR down the road..then double backing and being chased by QPR re-enforcements.

Palace 'lads' chasing Swindon, only for the leading 'lad' to slip on horse poo with the rest tumbling over him. oh for mobile phones with video recording and youtube in those days.

Also being sent back home to Brighton. Croydon OB did not believe I lived in Selhurst Road!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I remember there was always a really old couple who lives above the West stand and would watch every game. Can recall them retrieving the ball from their garden on several occasions!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This was the view from the end of my street for a year.

56be615d27a746539231af561f3deebe.jpg

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
looking through the book 'football grounds from the air' today and can't help but think how Lucky it would be to live near a football ground
Liverpool with all those terrace houses being a good example,imagine living there when they we're in their pomp

my only claim to fame is living in Mercread Road,Seaford back in the 80's,watching Brighton play Seaford at the crouch in a pre season friendly from my bedroom window,very surreal after all those years going all over following the Albion,still remember a Doug Rougvie bullet header

did those houses over looking the chicken run ever come up for sale and if so we're they more expensive than usual?

whenever I was on my travels around Britain I'd always make sure to visit football grounds,they're all special in a way,even Plainmoor!

The last time i saw a Brighton team play Seaford, one of the team was the then manager Russell Slade. It was noticeable at the time that some of the other players, Oatway, Carpenter and co. out of a "BHAFC all-stars" side, were not speaking to him much. About four days later he was sacked.

One of the young Seaford FC football team up front tried to get clever with Charlie. He clogged him in a manner as to say "Don't mess with ME son."...

Seaford FC could do with Charlie right now, even at his age. their record is played 23 lost 23. Goals for 12 again 67 or so.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I lived a hazy life behind the away end at Withdean for about a year (the house sold for more than a million a year or two ago). This was during the rotten end of old whiskey face's reign, and the "clique" had more or less stopped talking to me, so I didn't go very often and only occasionally heard a celebratory roar emanate from the ether on a Satdi. It was good for picking up spare tickets outside the ground when the fancy took, and funny to watch one or two neighbouring prudes watching hawkishly for cars parking, which I occasionally set up, with big Albion stickers in the windows, for a brief laugh.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
For a few months in 1993 I lived about half mile from Selhurst Park. I didn't have a lot of money so would sometimes goto the ground about 20 minutes before the end behind the Holmesdale End where the exit gate was. It used to open to let spectators leave early, so I could get in and watch the last few minutes.

Once I went to Craven Cottage (about 2000) and there was a train hold-up. I didn't get to the ground until half-time. Fortunately someone wanted to get out then at the away end, and some of us were able to get through in the opposite direction. So I really owe Fulham half an entry fee. Is this a football equivalent of tax evasion?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I lived in Cranmer Ave which is a turning off Old Shoreham Road almost opposite the Homebase complex. Was perfect distance from The Goldstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here