Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we had this year's charcoal v gas barbecue thread yet?

How do you barbecue?

• Charcoal

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Gas

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Barbecue schmarbeque

Votes: 5 6.4%

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No self-respecting real man would use anything other than Charcoal

Although i do have a chimney starter

500-511-bayou-ceramic-grill-charcoal-starter.jpg which has the coals ready in 15 mins :blush:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Have always used charcoal. Had to buy a new BBQ this year after our old trusty one finally succumbed to rust at the end of last summer. Was thinking of getting a gas one but couldn't make myself do it so stuck with the coals. If your going to cook on gas you might as well do it indoors. Have to say the chimney starter works extremely well.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Charcoal is always best, but there is a thought that the coating it leaves on the food could lead to cancer over time.
I have a gas one here but I put lava rocks over the gas jet area, when they glow red with the heat it is like coals and when the fat drops onto it the flames from it gives a really good flame grilled taste.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Charcoal is always best, but there is a thought that the coating it leaves on the food could lead to cancer over time.
I have a gas one here but I put lava rocks over the gas jet area, when they glow red with the heat it is like coals and when the fat drops onto it the flames from it gives a really good flame grilled taste.

Have you been reading The Daily Mail?

It's not a PROPER barbecue unless it's charcoal, and the meat isn't cooked unless it looks like charcoal.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Have you been reading The Daily Mail?

It's not a PROPER barbecue unless it's charcoal, and the meat isn't cooked unless it looks like charcoal.

Have I been reading the Daily mail...........................not very likely is it, just my informed opinion and I like my steak medium rare, 3mins on each side thanks very much.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I bought a new state of the art, all singing, all dancing, gas barbeque a couple of summers back. Have hardly used it though, due to it being so fiddly to operate. It's back to a basic charcoal one for me next summer l think. Does exactly the same job, at a fraction of the price.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Ooh, smoking, nice. I do it a bit on my Weber, hoping to build a combination smoker and wood oven, hoped it would be this year, but maybe for next year.

Scary, I will be building something similar. Pizza in garden.....can't wait

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Dont get gas barbecues. I have an indoor one, commonly called a hob, and it pisses on any outdoor version.
Also gas ones don't get hot enough for me. One firelighter, massive cone of lumpwood charcoal on top. Have a drink or two. Knock cone flat. Do some steak and get some char on some big hunks of meat. Eat steak and have another drink. Push all the coals to one side and use combination of indirect heat to the side and the direct heat above to cook everything else.
Only problem is you have a meal that starts with steak and finishes with a leg of lamb and some ribs and took in a mountain of dead animal parts inbetween.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here