Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we had this year's charcoal v gas barbecue thread yet?

How do you barbecue?

• Charcoal

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Gas

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Barbecue schmarbeque

Votes: 5 6.4%

• Total voters

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The boss’s missus is from Texas and barbequing is a religion down there. She’ll be firing up the Weber for their July 4[SUP]th[/SUP] shindig – cant wait

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Gas - though I'm perfectly willing to call it grilling if people object to calling it a barbecue. If I want my food to taste like burnt wood I'll knock back some Bourbon with it... which actually isn't a terrible idea.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
If you haven't got a Pro Q Frontier then you are not living outdoors. Google it it's amazing.

It's more than just charcoal

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you haven't got a Pro Q Frontier then you are not living outdoors. Google it it's amazing.

It's more than just charcoal

Ooh, smoking, nice. I do it a bit on my Weber, hoping to build a combination smoker and wood oven, hoped it would be this year, but maybe for next year.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Dopey c*nts next door to me have got some big f*ck off fancy BBQ set-up which they are always stinking the hood out with, the other week I could hear the f*ckers bitchin' cos I was enjoying a cuban cigar outside!?! :smokin:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Started out with gas....enjoyed this for many years.

Finally decided to go for charcoal to see what the fuss was all about. An hour to light it, then the hot charcoal only lasts for a short while, then you have to top it up to get more heat, meanwhile, in the extra hour it's taken to get the charcoal hot again, your food's gone cold.

Got a new gas one, go outside, turn it on, cook within 5 minutes!!!!!!!!

I like to cook barbeque food slowly so gas is perfect for me and there was virtually no difference in taste between the two

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
prefer the taste with charcoal, but have gas because its so much easier and quicker. No waitng for the coals to be the right temperature and no finishing the food off in the oven because the coals have gone cold. Go outside, turn gas on, ready to cook. I also now use the bbq more often because of this.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I used to be a charcoal man, but gave gas a go last year. There is simply no contest. Gas wins hands down

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Chacoal. Pah! Cooking steak over charcoal is for amateurs. It's all about wood.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Started out with gas....enjoyed this for many years.

Finally decided to go for charcoal to see what the fuss was all about. An hour to light it, then the hot charcoal only lasts for a short while, then you have to top it up to get more heat, meanwhile, in the extra hour it's taken to get the charcoal hot again, your food's gone cold.

Got a new gas one, go outside, turn it on, cook within 5 minutes!!!!!!!!

I like to cook barbeque food slowly so gas is perfect for me and there was virtually no difference in taste between the two

prefer the taste with charcoal, but have gas because its so much easier and quicker. No waitng for the coals to be the right temperature and no finishing the food off in the oven because the coals have gone cold. Go outside, turn gas on, ready to cook. I also now use the bbq more often because of this.

I suspect you're using the wrong charcoal then. Trying to get the briquettes ( sp ? ) to light is indeed close to impossible without petrol. I use the 'flaked' ( I really can't think of a better word ) stuff. Lights immediately with the help of a fire lighter and is ready to use in about 20 minutes. One tray stays hot enough to cook for about 90 minutes.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
In addition to last years wonderful 900lb double walled Buschbeck masonary monster ((charcoal, (gas is an option) AND logs no less ) for this season is installed a 10 person horseshoe seating/table arrangement made from rendered reinforced concrete finished with 3 coats of ex Albion sponsors Sandtex smooth brilliant white & comfy padded seats.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Have charcoal however can see why people choose gas. Easy and quicker to fire up after work. If I has gas I'm sure I would BBQ much more.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I would love to do a sample blind taste test... its only food snobs that think it tastes better! trust me... I have had loads of practice eating both!

Two things here, I can't quite believe you can't taste the difference? It defies any logic that they would taste the same... Secondly, it's not about 'food snobs', BBQing with charcoal is a bit of a challenge, takes a bit of time and practice to get it right and it never quite behaves exactly as you expect, that's part of the enjoyment. I'm sure cooking with gas outside is a great idea, fill your boots, but it's not really a BBQ is it......

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I suspect you're using the wrong charcoal then. Trying to get the briquettes ( sp ? ) to light is indeed close to impossible without petrol. I use the 'flaked' ( I really can't think of a better word ) stuff. Lights immediately with the help of a fire lighter and is ready to use in about 20 minutes. One tray stays hot enough to cook for about 90 minutes.

I use the briquettes. Cheat a little as have a Webber with a gas starter, so load up the briquettes in the tower thing, fire up the gas and 15 mins later the briquettes are ready to go and, as you say, last for ages

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Frying pan or kitchen grill for me.

Why would anyone want to eat food covered with speckles of ash.
Might as well roll a chicken drumstick in an ashtray and fry it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here