Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Have we forgotten Ukraine

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Main stream media seems to have forgotten Ukraine as it’s no longer the biggest story. But that won’t weaken Ukrainian resolve. Hopefully it won’t weaken western resolve in its support of Ukraine, but unfortunately it won’t weaken Putin’s resolve either and with the Middle East war he might feel emboldened to ramp up his special military operation. There’s an ongoing thread on NSC on Ukraine which provides a lot of insight into latest developments.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Telegraph have a daily pod on Ukraine…. Really worth listening to. Very informed with contributors from Ukraine, Europe and daily updates on what’s happening on the lines- well worth a listen. And don’t give me any of that Tory bollocks….. this is important to keep up with.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Let's get this straight. No one of sane mind will ever forget Ukraine, and the actions of Russia's psychotic nazi tsar. Problem is, we mere mortals are unable to influence either events, or media coverage. The thought of winter returning to the region, tens of thousands of displaced persons - families torn apart. Infrastructure in ruins, whilst the nazis consolidate their illegal occupation. I haven't touched upon Ukrainian women raped by Putin's conquering heroes, landmines laid indiscriminately that will probably never be cleared, and the forced repatriation of thousands of Ukrainian citizens. I haven't mentioned the word 'genocide' yet, have I ? No, I haven't forgotten Ukraine, and never will. Slava Ukraine !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes. And the Ukrainian addition to our family says the same.

This started long before the Kibbutz/concert murders. Brits don’t do ‘bad news’ after a period. Reasons … coping with life themselves, or it’s 1,500 miles away so not bothered.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
TV is right to focus on Israel Hamas War as it has potential to involve all superpowers militarily very quickly. However, the War in Ukraine is going to be attritional and is easily followed on YouTube, with lots of channels reporting on the steady deterioration of the Russian economy. Putin doesn't have the money to fund Ukraine war effort AND call shots in Middle East, but winter will slow things down even more.

I don't understand why Sunak and Biden haven't intervened and told Israel to stop. Yes Hamus launched an indescriminate attack on Israel but what Israel are doing now in Gaza is equally a war crime. They have gone way beyond self defence and likely ONLY because they know US, UK, AUSTRALIA all have committed to defend them. I think I read the biggest worry is Lebanon. If they get involved this could become a world war very quickly. That doesn't necessarily mean nuclear (yet) but it could easily become another false flag operation giving you know who an escusevto escalate.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's not exactly surprising that events in Gaza have pushed the ongoing, attritional Ukraine conflict down the news agenda. It's still righty getting a lot of coverage though, with countless articles, blogs and podcasts every day.

I say not surprising as you just have to look at the death tolls. This year in Ukraine it's been about 150-200 a month. The peak was over 4000 Ukranian deaths in March 2022, after which it thankfully dropped dramatically. I'm in no way downplaying the seriousness of events there but, in comparison, 8000 Palestinians, mostly women and children, have been killed in 3 weeks.

In positive news re.Ukraine, one of my students, a refugee, has flown back home for a week's visit for the first time since fleeing with her daughter in 2022.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
No. But the BBC certainly have.
Other global news stories (Gaza, Maine, etc…) reduces the broadcast news airtime for Ukraine, but they still bring the main stories and progress updates when they happen.

They also have a ‘War in Ukraine‘ page on bbc.co.uk with recent news. This is accessible from the top menu of their main news page.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Disaster Emergency Committee (DEC) has a specific Ukraine Appeal page for anyone able to help with donations.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Mainstream media can only cope with one big story at a time for some reason. It's all or nothing, but one topic only

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Mainstream media can only cope with one big story at a time for some reason. It's all or nothing, but one topic only
And at the moment it is the one that is most threatening to spill out into a regional, even global conflict - and the one most likely to be an existential threat to one side in the conflict - that is the War in Israel and the OPT rather than Ukraine but things could change- if something worse happens somewhere else …

rudolf hucker

Jul 26, 2009
Hove
Other global news stories (Gaza, Maine, etc…) reduces the broadcast news airtime for Ukraine, but they still bring the main stories and progress updates when they happen.

They also have a ‘War in Ukraine‘ page on bbc.co.uk with recent news. This is accessible from the top menu of their main news page.
I do use the link on their website but not seen anything on the daily news where so many get their information

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The BBC news content that I watch is The Context. That's got loads of Ukraine content

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Covered on R4 this evening …. “War Fatigue”.

For every obsessive over Gaza, the vast majority of the British public don’t want to see/hear/read ‘bad news’ 24-7, so switch off entirely. Whilst take a couple of weeks off of news altogether for their wellbeing, tune into keep abreast, then time out again.

They said this applies to the Middle East, Ukraine, Climate Change.

Explaining that the Pandemic was different, keeping our attention, as it was here.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't understand why Sunak and Biden haven't intervened and told Israel to stop. Yes Hamus launched an indescriminate attack on Israel but what Israel are doing now in Gaza is equally a war crime. They have gone way beyond self defence and likely ONLY because they know US, UK, AUSTRALIA all have committed to defend them. I think I read the biggest worry is Lebanon. If they get involved this could become a world war very quickly. That doesn't necessarily mean nuclear (yet) but it could easily become another false flag operation giving you know who an escusevto escalate.

What’s that got to do with “Have We Forgotten Ukraine?”?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
And at the moment it is the one that is most threatening to spill out into a regional, even global conflict - and the one most likely to be an existential threat to one side in the conflict - that is the War in Israel and the OPT rather than Ukraine but things could change- if something worse happens somewhere else …
The war in Ukraine IS an existential threat to the country of Ukraine. Putin wants to totally eradicate the Ukrainian people. His military hasn't been up to the task he set so far but that doesn't mean his aims are different.

This tweet brought it home to me again yesterday :

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The war in Ukraine IS an existential threat to the country of Ukraine. Putin wants to totally eradicate the Ukrainian people. His military hasn't been up to the task he set so far but that doesn't mean his aims are different.
I didn’t say it wasn’t, just that it isnt at the moment and the War in Israel is more acute in that regard - and more likely to spill over into a regional conflict at the moment- I did say, if that changed, then the news focus would with it. The war in Ukraine started in 2014 with the invasion of the Crimea - and escalated with the invasion 22 months ago - unless Russia starts using tactical nuclear weapons (in which case the news will revert back to Ukraine) there is absolutely no indication that Russia will be capable of wiping Ukraine off the map or annexing the rest of Ukraine at this moment …there is every indication after 3 weeks of war, Israel could achieve that with Gaza and the rest of the Occupied Territories, prompting a very dangerous escalation from the Arab world …the Hamas-Israeli War is also impacting on Britain more directly …the situation is the Middle East is extremely precarious and rapidly changing - of course it is the main news focus.

This isn’t a competition to see which people are suffering more -and this thread shouldn’t be about that - people suffer in all wars on both sides - it’s just that the news will focus on the biggest stories and for the moment , whether you think it right or not, the Israel-Hamas War is the bigger story until people get tired of reading/watching it - which usually happens after a story moves from covering an acute situation to a chronic one - when that happens, people switch off - there are already signs of news fatigue setting in with regard to Israel-Hamas which I also stated in my post above.

Last edited:
Reactions: A1X

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I didn’t say it wasn’t, just that it isnt at the moment and the War in Israel is more acute in that regard - and more likely to spill over into a regional conflict at the moment- I did say, if that changed, then the news focus would with it. The war in Ukraine started in 2014 with the invasion of the Crimea - and escalated with the invasion 22 months ago - unless Russia starts using tactical nuclear weapons (in which case the news will revert back to Ukraine) there is absolutely no indication that Russia will be capable of wiping Ukraine off the map or annexing the rest of Ukraine at this moment …there is every indication after 3 weeks of war, Israel could achieve that with Gaza and the rest of the Occupied Territories, prompting a very dangerous escalation from the Arab world …the Hamas-Israeli War is also impacting on Britain more directly …the situation is the Middle East is extremely precarious and rapidly changing - of course it is the main news focus.

This isn’t a competition to see which people are suffering more -and this thread shouldn’t be about that - people suffer in all wars on both sides - it’s just that the news will focus on the biggest stories and for the moment , whether you think it right or not, the Israel-Hamas War is the bigger story until people get tired of reading/watching it - which usually happens after a story moves from covering an acute situation to a chronic one - when that happens, people switch off - there are already signs of news fatigue setting in with regard to Israel-Hamas which I also stated in my post above.

I wonder if recency is the factor here.

Plus cameras are everywhere in a tiny piece of land. Whilst Russia can commit genocide, rape, operate torture chambers far from prying eyes in a remote and dangerous place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here