Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Have we forgotten Ukraine

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No. media doesn’t control all our thoughts.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The old saying yesterdays news todays chip paper very very sad however it’s not all lost with the Americans bombing Iranian military sites located within Syria we might find Russia starts to be more involved as WW3 moves one step closer

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The west’s media innit? I’m not one of them conspiracy theorists or anything but they are constantly telling us who to side with in any sort of conflict.
Do you think the BBC should have given equal time for the Putin viewpoint, for the sake of balance? :shrug:

And I am not getting any sense that the BBC is telling us what side to be on WRT Gaza. It has been described quite fairly in my view. And it has been done so without allowing too much 'you started it' bollocks from interviewees (albeit the Palestine ambassador was allowed a monumental one-eyed rant the other day). The presentation seems to be along the lines of 'what a f***ing mess and they really should call a ceasefire on both sides and get talking'. They have interviewed grieving Israeli mothers who have spent their lives trying to gelp the people of Gaza, and grieving Palestinian mothers who are bereft, for their vox pops. That the two sides are intractably opposed to any discussions is a fact, not an invention of the BBC.

However, I don't trawl random sites or suck the tit of GB news, the Mail, or the latest public announcement from Momentum, so you may be right that the media at large is busy telling us what to think. :thumbsup:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Then there’s the civil war in Congo, over 5 MILLION people have died and most people have no idea it’s even happening.
… and a war in Sudan between Sudanese military factions - since April, 10,000 dead, over 4 million internally displaced, over million refugees ….worsening civil war in Myanmar, worsening conflict in Afghanistan, etc etc … but these are not wars that directly effect us in the same way as a war in Israel or Ukraine (where either of these wars risk escalating into a much broader regional (possibly global) conflict …. at the moment the one out of the two most likely to do that is the Israel-Hamas War … tensions and the ‘nuclear war’ rhetoric around the Ukraine conflict has dialled back, NATO Countries are loosing their appetite for continued support but it will take over the news headlines again, if there are new signs of regional escalation.

Current conflicts

In addition to the above points, the majority of people now get their news from social media in the form of rapidly changing ‘updates - our attention span is also not what it used to be - IT/internet has meant war news (all news) is constantly exposing us to 5 or 6 times the info we were getting prior to the digital revolution, in times of major conflicts that effect us, probably 100 x that - yet most people just skim over these headlines while multi-tasking through their day. News media is constantly fighting through to reach that fickle audience, which means grabby headlines, less content (unless you look for it beyond the live app updates or 30 minute news cycles).

That over saturation of ‘headline news’ consumption, through the use of mobile devices especially, gives most us a disconnecting series of information through its lack of context/background/analysis which leaves most people not having a royal clue what its all about - no wonder that creates heightened fears, anxiety, feelings of inadequacies and depression- people consume too many hors d’oeuvres, have no appetite for the main course and then just switch off completely because they are sick of eating.

The Palestinian conflict will drag out, there are already signs of news fatigue and, unless it escalates into a broader regional conflict , this too will become an ‘and in other news’ story.

Until then:
The presentation seems to be along the lines of 'what a f***ing mess and they really should call a ceasefire on both sides and get talking'.
and that’s the depth to which the majority of news audiences will process what they are reading/watching - which in it’s over simplified format, has a limited attention span.

IMO - It’s not the media ‘telling us what to think’ - when it comes to the news it’s, more often than not, that we don’t…

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The problem with the Ukraine conflict is with Gaza from a TV side you get angry people on both sides and lots of footage of explosions from the cameras, plus big cities nearby. In Ukraine it’s all now taking place in the more deserted east of the country away from the HD glare, plus nobody serious backs the Russians (at least publicly).

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Then there’s the civil war in Congo, over 5 MILLION people have died and most people have no idea it’s even happening.
Channel 4 news is the worst for focusing 90% of the hour on one news story for weeks on end, ranging from election coverage from a country thousands of miles away (the good ol USA), to war - Ukraine, but now Ukraine's all over (isn't it?), Gaza. Shame, as Ch4 can do news very well, but it does my nut in when they focus on one story for days/weeks on end. There's SO much going on in the world that average Joe will have no idea is happening due to non-existant coverage in mainstream news, like Congo as you mention

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Channel 4 news is the worst for focusing 90% of the hour on one news story for weeks on end, ranging from election coverage from a country thousands of miles away (the good ol USA), to war - Ukraine, but now Ukraine's all over (isn't it?), Gaza. Shame, as Ch4 can do news very well, but it does my nut in when they focus on one story for days/weeks on end. There's SO much going on in the world that average Joe will have no idea is happening due to non-existant coverage in mainstream news, like Congo as you mention

I haven't lived in England for 15 years so my view may be out of date but I always preferred the more in depth approach of Channel 4. I found BBC and, especially, ITV unwatchable.

As a rule though, I'd say if you want to understand anything, read books not news.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I haven't lived in England for 15 years so my view may be out of date but I always preferred the more in depth approach of Channel 4. I found BBC and, especially, ITV unwatchable.

As a rule though, I'd say if you want to understand anything, read books not news.
True - I do too, but I still find it really frustrating when they focus so much of the hour on one story, not just for a day, or week even, but weeks on end sometimes

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Putin is loving the lack of attention.

300K+ Russian dead. We can assume similar or more Ukrainian soldiers and civilians. Countless more wounded.

Look away, look away grins Vladimir.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I think (hope) it gives them some breathing space rather than constantly saying that the offensive is tougher than they thought.

That being said I’m obviously not an expert in world affairs so just go with hope, and hope people stop dying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here