Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we ever looked less likely to score against 10 men?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree with you my problem is the complete lack of ability to finish when these player deliver the final ball, we still end up with not scoring. I suspect there is an element currently that Kaz and Will drift inside in a effort to score as we have nothing else to threaten the goal

Fair enough but how many times did they actually get behind the last man and cut it back. I was amazed Oscar subbed Barnes. The hardest ball to defend is one cut back, the Crofts and Andrews should be running onto it, with Ashley occupying the CBs.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Depends how long youve been supporting the Albion?

Walsall 9 men off of the top of my headvwas worse..

That's what I was going to write. Either supporters on here with short memories, or quite new to the Albion..

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Fair enough but how many times did they actually get behind the last man and cut it back. I was amazed Oscar subbed Barnes. The hardest ball to defend is one cut back, the Crofts and Andrews should be running onto it, with Ashley occupying the CBs.

I think he subbed Barnes because most of our attacks ended with him losing the ball, one way or another?

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
We made lots of chances but with out a big forward we had little hope of scoring Its a tall order asking Barnes to lead the line alone he is not that sort of player

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It's odd 2 games on the trot, we've been under pressure, Will & KLL have started on the touchline, made some inroads, but after 15 minutes given up.
Then played half an hour edging nearer and nearer the middle with ever decreasing levels of success.

It looks like part of the game plan to me.....not one that works, but that's three games in a row it has happened.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It looks like part of the game plan to me.....not one that works, but that's three games in a row it has happened.
I can understand the frustration of doing the hard yards, looking up and seeing nobody.
It's only natural to think 'well I definitely can't score from here, I need to be there'.
But as some as they move in, we completely lose our attacking threat.

We had an opportunity, what with them pulling the drawbridge up, to ping 20+ decent crosses into the box, and didn't.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think he subbed Barnes because most of our attacks ended with him losing the ball, one way or another?

Perhaps that would be because the quality of ball to him was completely wrong. Being marked by two 6'4" centre backs, so we go airborne?!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Perhaps that would be because the quality of ball to him was completely wrong. Being marked by two 6'4" centre backs, so we go airborne?!

The quality wasn't that bad to him. He's just not good enough to lead the line. Every time he lost the ball he would throw his arms upin he air complaining he was fouled. What nonsense. Hes not strong enough to led a line.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The quality wasn't that bad to him. He's just not good enough to lead the line. Every time he lost the ball he would throw his arms upin he air complaining he was fouled. What nonsense. Hes not strong enough to led a line.

Agree about him going down to easily. But it is difficult to remember more than one decent ball to him. If you call, clipped, floated balls by Lopez and Buckley quality, then we are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Agree about him going down to easily. But it is difficult to remember more than one decent ball to him. If you call, clipped, floated balls by Lopez and Buckley quality, then we are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Is he wearing the wrong stud, he kept slipping over and in a goalmouth scramble early in the second half slipped when his presence was needed only a yard away. he knows how CMS felt last year up there on his own. Barnes is a supporting player and not a target man, not his fault we are where we are but he is just not the man to lead an attack.

I don't mind losing to 10 men - IF you give it a go !

FFS don't let Lopez continually chip the ball up to the edge of the area , or wider, were we are out muscled to the header. Needed someone to be direct and have a shot - only LuaLua seems capable of this.:rant:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Barnes is unable to lead the line on his own,but this would not have happened if another striker had been signed in January,little improvement can be expected until our walking wounded return,hate to think how Watford are going to inflict on us.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

These clipped, floated balls are no good to man or beast. They are easy for the centre-backs to attack. Lopez and Buckley must have thought Ulloa was playing, the number of times the ball was floated in.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Chalobah was class last season for Watford at the Amex but I thought he was very poor today and a red card waiting to happen. Maybe he started to believe his own hype or is just unfit but he looked a shadow of the player who ran the game last season.

He did look a bit of a show pony - its been reported that at Chelsea he's on £30k per week, and Forest are paying all his wages.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Have we ever looked less likely to score against 10 men?.

Albion v Darlington at Priestfield. Goalie sent off, so they put Carl Shutt between the sticks. Don't think we had to make a save.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here