Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have this feeling that all will not be well in summer.........

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
We need to sign at least 12 quality players.
If we don't Hughton will walk, simple !
These players have to be rounded up now not the usual
week before the season starts then get shit loans in.
Only problems with this is I suspect are as follows.
A: No players really want to come here
B: The wages Brighton are prepared to pay compared to other clubs
are almost certainly one of if not the lowest in the Division.
C:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Goodness I think I'm pretty critical and have sever doubts about Hughton's ability but there are a right bunch of misery guts on here that seem to enjoy wallowing in the negatives.

Generally I think Bloom has shown a good level of financial support to his managers, the money we spent on Baldock, O'Grady and Stockdale last Summer was not to be sniffed at I'm sure there weren't many teams spending 3m +/- last year. The trouble is spending it wisely and at least Hughton has a good knowledge of Championship players to make that a bit easier.

Hope Leicester stay up so we have a bit more spending money.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The recruitment department has fallen well short to what is required for a reasonable shot for premier league status.However the stark facts are that Mr Bloom would have to finance 2 teams if we gained promotion .Looking at the success rate of promoted teams it could be just too much investment for him,and an habitual resident of the championship,may be all that he can achieve alone.And lets face it,when managing expectations,when can anyone remember us.....so high for so long !

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A: No players really want to come here
B: The wages Brighton are prepared to pay compared to other clubs
are almost certainly one of if not the lowest in the Division.

B) In 2012/13 our wage bill was 8th highest of all 24 Championship Clubs.
The accounts for 2013/14 published earlier this season and public statements about 2014/15 football costs since by Bloom and Barber in several interviews indicate this hasn't changed much as football investment has continued to increase. For more info see
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/brighton-and-hove-albion-love-at-pier.html
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/22/club-by-club-guide-championship-finances-2012-2013

As for A) - then we'll see won't we but the training ground, living in Brighton, playing to 25K+ crowds every week and the chance to read reviews of their performances on NSC every week must surely be enough to attract more than just "no" footballers to the Amex during the close season.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im severely disappointed that a team that looked could finish comfortably mid table when CH took over has pathetically limped over the line. Ok mission stay up accomplished *tick*

However it would have been nice to have has a bit of positive momentum into the summer (remember Adams first season at Withers where we had that 14 game unbeaten run to the end of the season then stormewd the league or the run towards the end of Gus first season where we then stormed the league again) and not scrape (one?) point in the last 8 games and conspire to lose to Rotherham, Wigan and draw with Hudds at home. So for me the jury is still OUT on CH. SORRY

Of course its also a big summer, one crumb of comfort is that our squad (bar Dunk and Beram) is so ****ing poor that we wont be having to brace ourselves for any bids for our crown jewels. If a bid did come in for Dunk then CBs are relatively cheap and easy to find unlike 20plus goals a season strikers.

Its recognised that players are ONLY interested in the wonga. Not training facilities or crowds or whatever BUT MONEY. So I dont doubt that with wages freed up from some of the other players (CMS, KEMI) we should be in a position to get those strikers.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The recruitment department has fallen well short to what is required for a reasonable shot for premier league status.However the stark facts are that Mr Bloom would have to finance 2 teams if we gained promotion .Looking at the success rate of promoted teams it could be just too much investment for him,and an habitual resident of the championship,may be all that he can achieve alone.And lets face it,when managing expectations,when can anyone remember us.....so high for so long !

Sorry, why would Tony have to finance 2 teams were we promoted?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Hmm can't quite make my mind up yet.

Do you know what, I am going to give this thread a miss and gamble that there will be another one along before the season starts. Crazy I know, I could look really stupid come August, if someone doesn't start another transfer thread.

It's going to be a long summer. :ffsparr:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Making predictions is fun and this is a football message board. What would you like to discuss?

I agree that making predictions can be fun ... but not when they are totally negative and often serving someone's anti-club agenda.

If we make predictions based on the players we have at the start of next season, that will be fun. If we do so now, not having a clue what the budget is or who any of our targets are, that's just a meaningless waste of time, in my opinion.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I agree that making predictions can be fun ... but not when they are totally negative and often serving someone's anti-club agenda.

If we make predictions based on the players we have at the start of next season, that will be fun. If we do so now, not having a clue what the budget is or who any of our targets are, that's just a meaningless waste of time, in my opinion.

Stop being rational. It's not allowed round here.
The Albion are either the Giant of the South who will never have to play tinpot clubs like Reading etc. again once we have taken our rightful place in the PL.
OR
We are a shambles, run by the evil Dr Barber, that exists to sell all our better players and have a squad that have the ambition of Kemy.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I believe that Tony Bloom's company would have studied all Championship fixtures between January and next weekend and come to the highly-informed view (consider how it makes its money) that we would survive without major spend in January, thus clearing the decks for large scale summer investment to transform our fortunes in the crucial Amex season five. We shall see.
I tend to agree with this. The aim this season after Hypia was to survive, and spend as little as possible on later loans-which has clearly worked, albeit after a few scares. Assuming this is true, the club could not have admitted this to the fans of course, who were paying hard-earned cash. But the fans won't tolerate this indefinitely if in September they see little precious little investment, more cheap loans etc. In theory a settled summer at last awaits us, but then in football . . .

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The second spend would be for keeping us in the premiership.QPR/Leicester have spent heavily . I would like Burnely to survive,but i fear not for long !!

Have you seen how much money Premier League teams get given for just 'turning up'? It's ridiculous. It's well within the realms of possibility that Tony and his crack recruitment team can put together a competitive team in the Prem, whilst actually making a profit!

Dec 15, 2014
Here
How much does Tony Bloom "pocket" each season after he's told Barber, Hughton, and the recruitment team to target 20th place in the league. Can you let the NSC know ?

other than a lot of lint probably nothing. His bank account grows, though. Does he reveal his personal finances?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Blimey !

I am deeply saddened that an ownership group is taking very loyal fans for a ride and plans only to stay in the bottom of the championship for as long as possible without spending enough and pocketing the fees paid to them .

How much does Tony Bloom "pocket" each season after he's told Barber, Hughton, and the recruitment team to target 20th place in the league. Can you let NSC know ?

other than a lot of lint probably nothing.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No one ever gets promoted with the quality of loan players we have though, we'd have to raise our sights and wages massively to get the quality of players listed in your link. Same again next season then :down:
Quality of loan players we've had? We nearly got promoted with Bridge, Upson and Ward. Tex would have been even better playing in a better team. We don't have to raise our wages as we'd only be paying a proportion of the player's wages.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I’m looking forward to a summer of cricket and wild Albion-related transfer speculation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here