Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have Brighton Been Found Out?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
If you substitute 3 points against Southampton for 3 points against Luton - which seems a reasonable comparison - we're actually 4 points down on the number gained in last season's corresponding fixtures, Still not bad considering the demands of the extra matches but I think it does reflect the slight dip in effectiveness that we've all seen.
It's also not right to compare the beginning of last season with the beginning of this season since we started last season under Potter, playing a different style. The "found out" here is obviously rereferring to De Zerbi ball.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Please could someone give me a yes or no answer? Because I'm facked if I'm spending 22 minutes watching all that.

On a separate (maybe) point, this seems to be yet another example of teams being built up by the media, who now seem ready to knock them down again. Most sane people realised that this season was going to have to be BRILLIANT to match last season, for numerous different reasons. Sitting seventh in the table – and with progress in Europe in our own hands – is arguably better than I would've expected after at this stage of the season.
Yes exactly this. There has to be a narrative. We were last year's golden boys so the media either have to build on that or start to find an alternative story to tell.
EVERY team struggles to break a low block, counter-attacking approach, it's not a problem that we are unique in having difficulty overcoming. And as others have noted we aren't doing badly this season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Didn't see this anywhere else:

There was a link to an article on another thread earlier on similar lines. Can't find it now, sorry, but thought it was very good.
We have more points than after this number of games last year, we are ahead on the where we were on the tracker this time last year, we have many more injuries, and are in a European campaign.

I dont think we have been found out as such. Yes teams are more aware of what we are doing, and some have deployed accordingly.........
......with some success! See West Ham and Villa, and possibly AOK too. So to that extent I would say that in some matches we have been found out.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I feel like the whole 'we/they've been found out' is a meaningless phrase uttered by people who want you to think they know more about football tactics and the like than they actually do. I'm inclined to also include 'no plan b' in this.
There’s a particular large subset of these people sitting in armchairs in Croydon

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I feel like the whole 'we/they've been found out' is a meaningless phrase uttered by people who want you to think they know more about football tactics and the like than they actually do. I'm inclined to also include 'no plan b' in this.
Some teams have modified their tactics to counter the way we usually play, especially when we had Mac and Moises, but we have changed our tactics mid-game on occasions to deal with that e.g. Man Utd. We have set up differently from the start in some games to deal with the anticipated opposition approach. For example, we played a back 3 in one match and we are sometimes leaving just the CBs at the back when in possession but other times dropping a DM (usually Gross) in-between the CBs.
I would summarise the video as 1. some teams set up to counter how we usually set up but 2. de Zerbi has plans B, C and D to deal with that, albeit they are not always applied successfully.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
We're playing two fixtures a week with 8 squad players injured after selling £180m worth of talent last year.

To be top ten right now is a bloody miracle and I laugh at anyone who says different.
Are you a Newcastle supporter in disguise ? Smug Eddie gave that excuse for losing last night.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If you substitute 3 points against Southampton for 3 points against Luton - which seems a reasonable comparison - we're actually 4 points down on the number gained in last season's corresponding fixtures, Still not bad considering the demands of the extra matches but I think it does reflect the slight dip in effectiveness that we've all seen.
Yeah we're definitely less effective, but worth noting that those 4 pts are from the draws vs the merseyside clubs.
Both of those teams are more effective now, than they were last season, when we played them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here