Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have Brighton Been Found Out?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I must have missed the bit where we 'got found out'. It was very interesting and a good analysis of how we play. It also highlighted the need for us to have a quality right back in the team.

I've no doubt we've been weakened by the loss of Caicedo and Mac Allister, but I'm not sure the title of this film is correct. It should really be called "How Brighton Play And What Teams Should Consider In Advance." As the analysis shows, we are still pretty adaptable.

Great film though.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
We have more points than after this number of games last year, we are ahead on the where we were on the tracker this time last year, we have many more injuries, and are in a European campaign.

I dont think we have been found out as such. Yes teams are more aware of what we are doing, and some have deployed accordingly, but as shown in the video with the increased scoring at the start of the second half, and improved second half performance, De Zerbi figures out how to change play to counter teams .

Had we been truley "found out" we certainly wouldnt be where we are, the high risk, high reward style we play means that we will get trounced occasionally, I think we were lucky it didnt happen more last season, and that this season is more representative of the risk/reward ratio. The fact that De Zerbi can change things enough during the game (as seen in Marseille for example) shows that we have some way to go before we can say he and the team have been found out

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Didn't see this anywhere else:

I hadn't seen that, very informative.... I think we all know the fullback positions are our Achilles Heel compared to last year... but I was surprised he didn't mention the loss of Enciso who drove many a game from the attacking midfield perspective, keeping the opposition occupied, or at least generating enough awareness of his dynamic approach to limit some of the midfield squeezes we have experienced since his injury.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I feel like the whole 'we/they've been found out' is a meaningless phrase uttered by people who want you to think they know more about football tactics and the like than they actually do. I'm inclined to also include 'no plan b' in this.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Last year after 11 games we were 9th with 4 wins 3 draws and 4 defeats for 15 points. So we are actually slightly better this season having played quite a few of the top 10.

Last season at this point we'd just gone through the transition from Potter to RDZ. This season we are adjusting to losing probably two of the best midfielders the club has ever had and we are having to bed new players in while trying to compete in Europe with a horrific injury list. If this is being found out it isn't actually that bad.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Please could someone give me a yes or no answer? Because I'm facked if I'm spending 22 minutes watching all that.

On a separate (maybe) point, this seems to be yet another example of teams being built up by the media, who now seem ready to knock them down again. Most sane people realised that this season was going to have to be BRILLIANT to match last season, for numerous different reasons. Sitting seventh in the table – and with progress in Europe in our own hands – is arguably better than I would've expected after at this stage of the season.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Last year after 11 games we were 9th with 4 wins 3 draws and 4 defeats for 15 points. So we are actually slightly better this season having played quite a few of the top 10.
If you substitute 3 points against Southampton for 3 points against Luton - which seems a reasonable comparison - we're actually 4 points down on the number gained in last season's corresponding fixtures, Still not bad considering the demands of the extra matches but I think it does reflect the slight dip in effectiveness that we've all seen.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
in actual fact more teams are now playing our style. You can see it in some elements of Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and many many more. Some of those with the takent on display are doing it better than us. Not sure this has been picked up by the pundits too much and they still talk about our style which isn't as unique this season vs last.

Being found out? Sitting back and countering us. Very effective actually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here