Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hate

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Politics impacts people's lives. Football doesn't. I'd certainly go on a political demo or meeting but I would not pay £40 to watch Leeds versus Brighton purely because I hate Leeds.

Football impacts millions of peoples lives on an emotional level and motivates people to go to demos and meetings (Archer Out!). On the hate question ....

hate

noun
intense dislike.
"feelings of hate and revenge"
synonyms: loathing, hatred, detestation, dislike, distaste, abhorrence, abomination, execration, resentment, aversion, hostility, ill will, ill feeling, bad feeling;

verb
feel intense dislike for.
"the boys hate each other"
synonyms: loathe, detest, dislike greatly, abhor, abominate, despise, execrate, feel aversion towards, feel revulsion towards, feel hostile towards, be repelled by, be revolted by, regard with disgust, not be able to bear/stand, be unable to stomach, find intolerable, shudder at, recoil from, shrink from;

Most of the above covers my feelings about CPFC

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Hmmm, good subject to bring up. I don't really understand what hate is. I don't like intolerance towards disabled or gay people or someone who chooses to be different or is naturally different. Do I hate people who are intolerant in this way? No, this makes me sad and frustrated that there are people like this in the world today.

I've quite often SAID I hate Palace but what do I really feel? I'd miss them if they weren't there and as someone said, the 5-0 and the play off defeat was the worst I have ever felt. Truly affected my life for many weeks. I don't want them to do well and can only watch them on MOTD when they lose. My boss's boss is a Palace fan and he's a great bloke and we have great banter. And one of my best mates is Palace.

I can't look at Smellhurst when I go past on the train and the sight of a Palace shirt makes my s**t itch. But hate them? No. It's rivalry and I'm now 54 so have been through all the history. I've seen the punch ups and believe me, back in the day it was just awful and even then I couldn't understand the violence and that was when it was encouraged.

I really hate Leeds though :thumbsup:
youre 54 and you call it smellhurst :facepalm:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Disagree totally. Whatever people say about "they are all the same", the party in power makes an enormous difference to the lives of millions of people - particularly at the moment the less well off in society. Try finding something about Question Time last Thursday and the woman who voted Conservative in May but who now seems to be an ardent Corbyn supporter.

Just added a link to something about her.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34552721

Agree with the party in power makes a big difference bit but possibly not a great example.

Ms Dorrell, 35, told The Telegraph that despite her passionate intervention she did not know how she was likely to be affected by the reforms.
She said runs a nail salon from her home in Folkestone but does not make a profit and relies on £400 a week worth of tax credits, child benefit and child maintenance.
She said that money is so tight that she sometimes goes without heating and has lost more than seven stone in the past three years because she can't afford enough food.
However, the Institute for Fiscal Studies suggested that because Ms Dorrell does not make a profit she is unlikely to be hit by changes to the income threshold for working tax credits, which is being almost halved to £3,850 a year.
She will also not be affected by the changes to child tax credits, which will only be restricted to the first two children for new parents from April 2017.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...edit-cuts-may-not-be-affected-by-reforms.html

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Football without hate will be like rugby..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Less than three pages for this to degenerate in to yet another politics / Tories / Corbyn thread. FFS. *yawns*

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Coming from Manchester and born in 1970... My experience was that Man U were the team that the "non-football kids" said they supported whereas the ones who actually knew about the game followed City or one of the smaller local sides. I spent many saturdays on the terraces at Maine Rd, so will always have a soft sport for City despite their sell out.

"Anyone but Man U" is therefore my motto for all things Premier League and do genuinely hate everything they stand for especially post-Glazer. As for other clubs... I feel an irrational animosity for Leeds but have some good friends who support them so its very much at club level not the fans but its the opposite for Millwall. I do hate them... scum of the earth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Football impacts millions of peoples lives on an emotional level and motivates people to go to demos and meetings (Archer Out!). On the hate question ....

hate

noun
intense dislike.
"feelings of hate and revenge"
synonyms: loathing, hatred, detestation, dislike, distaste, abhorrence, abomination, execration, resentment, aversion, hostility, ill will, ill feeling, bad feeling;

verb
feel intense dislike for.
"the boys hate each other"
synonyms: loathe, detest, dislike greatly, abhor, abominate, despise, execrate, feel aversion towards, feel revulsion towards, feel hostile towards, be repelled by, be revolted by, regard with disgust, not be able to bear/stand, be unable to stomach, find intolerable, shudder at, recoil from, shrink from;

Most of the above covers my feelings about CPFC

Fair enough. But would you go out of your way for this though? Some students paid money as neutrals to watch Leeds get beat. I find this a bit weird; especially as they're all supposed to be skint.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Agree with the party in power makes a big difference bit but possibly not a great example.

Ms Dorrell, 35, told The Telegraph that despite her passionate intervention she did not know how she was likely to be affected by the reforms.
She said runs a nail salon from her home in Folkestone but does not make a profit and relies on £400 a week worth of tax credits, child benefit and child maintenance.
She said that money is so tight that she sometimes goes without heating and has lost more than seven stone in the past three years because she can't afford enough food.
However, the Institute for Fiscal Studies suggested that because Ms Dorrell does not make a profit she is unlikely to be hit by changes to the income threshold for working tax credits, which is being almost halved to £3,850 a year.
She will also not be affected by the changes to child tax credits, which will only be restricted to the first two children for new parents from April 2017.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...edit-cuts-may-not-be-affected-by-reforms.html
so if I've got this right ms dorell gets over twenty grand a year in tax credits , might I suggest ms dorell counts her fvcking blessings the whining cow, getting that sort of money for nothing and whining about her lot is a symptom of everything that is wrong with the welfare system in this country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
so if I've got this right ms dorell gets over twenty grand a year in tax credits , might I suggest ms dorell counts her fvcking blessings the whining cow, getting that sort of money for nothing and whining about her lot is a symptom of everything that is wrong with the welfare system in this country.

I think you've answered my "hate" question :lolol:

I have always felt football "hate" is a bit pantomime. But then I read on here some lads actually paid to watch a team because they hate Leeds so much. This seems a bit weird to me. But I've just read in the Giggs thread that someone hates Man U and everything they stand for. Do folk genuinely hate other clubs? Or is it just a bit of pantomime to facilitate the tribal nature of football? And if you are one of the haters what lengths have you been to because of your hatred?

The whole football thing is a pantomime Frauline twanky! Oh yes it is!:wink:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I recall but not very well at all, an early season game circa 1975. Palace had been up to the first division and now found themselves in the 3rd division. Brighton had lost Clough but I think still had Taylor and were going through an extended 'transitional' period. About the only thing I recall was a kid shouting out 'you lost to the Wombles'. Think Palace had lost to non league Wimbledon in a friendly. A very low key affair.
Most of us saw that clip of Alison questioning Mullery's international ability in 1970.
By chance they became our respective managers, promotion rivals and FA cup opponents when the FA Cup was massive. Bad luck and bizarre refereeing did for Brighton in those series of matches. The rest is history.
Anyway. My point is, you can question whether the Palace rivalry is truly traditional. I'd say it's more down to a sequence of events and the fact they were out nearest club as the crown flies.

Palace are locked into their shitty little bubble and are, currently, going through a purple patch for them but it WILL end as they lack the fan base and financial stability for long term survival in the premier league.
They have watched us slide down the football pyramid only to rise again in terms of financial and long term player development to a point where we are demonstrably a longer term threat than they could ever hope to be.

Take heart my boys. We will soon eclipse them and their feeble achievements. And it can't come soon enough.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I "hate" Chelsea; mostly because of the way they've bought success. The same can be said for City. And Pompey, although they failed spectacularly so that offsets it somewhat.

I think hate is the wrong word though. It's disdain more than anything. They haven't worked for their success. They've just spunked more money than the other teams.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Point taken, but it's her perceptions which matter in changing her mind.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It must be a terribly negative thing to carry with you. I am sure it must hurt the hater more than the hated.

Very wise. Hate seems to me to be destructive, but destructive to the hater.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Fair enough. But would you go out of your way for this though? Some students paid money as neutrals to watch Leeds get beat. I find this a bit weird; especially as they're all supposed to be skint.

After staying overnight in London at a party I did go to watch Arsenal v Palace on the expectation of seeing them humiliated. As I recall they were 3-0 down by half time marvellous experience.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
youre 54 and you call it smellhurst :facepalm:

It was just a little joke. Am I not allowed a little bit of childishness at my ripe old age? Sometimes I refer to them as Palarse for which I apologise. Whoops titter and all that.

And my mate, roughly same age, refers to us as Seaweed. I'll tell him off for you.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I am happy & comfortable that the only thing I hate in the World is Palace and everything about them.
Long may it continue & I hope to go to my grave with us being the most recent winners of a fixture

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Point taken, but it's her perceptions which matter in changing her mind.

True which is partly why Corbyn is getting constantly hammered/portrayed as a dangerous loony lefty etc etc

I can understand her fears if her situation is as described and at least she runs her own business. The tax credit system needs reforming and there will always be losers when changes come how this is implemented is the issue.

Topics for another day/different thread perhaps.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

How can you fail to make a profit running a business like that from home? And if that really is the case, why is she even bothering? Something doesn't seem right.

Back on topic: There are teams that I enjoy watching us beat more than others - e.g palace - and I'll always support whoever is playing them if on telly, but hate is far too strong a word. I've known and been mates with a few Palace fans over the years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here