Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has to be done - Potter In or Out?

Potter in or out

• Total voters

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It's weird how some fans obsess about and think these press conferences and pre/post match interviews have absolutely relevance to the team's performance at all. The managers don't care about them, they are an unnecessary distraction that they just have to get through in as bland way as possible and no player is ever going to watch or take interest in one of them.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
[emoji115]I think some just want a Mike Basset type of manager.

Who only plays 442, regardless of situation or opposition.
And “who always knows their best eleven mate”. Ie. Limited tactical flexibility.

It’s genuinely confusing to them that a modern manager can be flexible in formation, systems and personnel: “This Potter bloke don’t even know his best 11 wtf?”.

And they want their man to rant and rave and swear on the touch line and to single out players in post match interviews.

Well, Graham Potter is none of these things. And thank goodness for that. Let’s trust Tony Bloom and the club.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
So the players want to hear that it doesn't matter if we lose to Fulham Or that if we lose the next ten it won't have much significance. Ah, OK, think I've got what you're saying now :thumbsup:

:wozza:

I think you are mis-reading that.. He actually says winning the game on Wednesday is of little significance if they go and lose the next 10 - He's not saying it doesnt matter if we lose the next 10 ! The same point : Wednesday is a chance to get 3 points no more or less. Because its Fulham losing (or winning) has no more bearing on the season than Leicester. Likewise, we can lose to Fulham, and if we then beat Sheff Utd, West Ham and Arsenal, the whole picture is more important than one game in isolation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least the Albion are in good company:-

differential.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All of this back and forth, whist entertaining enough has no real merit. Potter will be here long term unless he decides to leave. Strap in folks.

I think that's largely but not completely true.

Many, me included, said that about Hughton after we got promoted, but it didn't actually stick. We've seen TB be incredibly loyal to people he believes in but also ruthless when the belief runs out. If he thinks it's not working, he'll change it.

Ashworth leaving would also be interesting, though if he took Potter with I guess that is strictly Potter deciding to leave.

It won't be today, it won't be after Fulham or after Sheffield Utd, even if we lose both. That's for sure. In that respect my "fence" vote is really just saying "can do better" in terms of results. I don't believe for a second that Potter is in any real trouble,

However, if we DO lose the next two and not get points from our other easier games to make up for it, the noise on here will grow from a hum to a crescendo. That'll be an interesting background for games.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Does ANYONE believe that Potter is as non committal in team talks? Keeping the pressure off the team and not giving the journos anything to sensationalise. Boring as feck, which is why I seldom listen but much better than Poyet saying how he could manage any big team we played imo.

Much ado about nothing

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
It won't be today, it won't be after Fulham or after Sheffield Utd, even if we lose both. That's for sure. In that respect my "fence" vote is really just saying "can do better" in terms of results. I don't believe for a second that Potter is in any real trouble

I think this is a superb summary of why I voted 'fence'.

There have been a couple of substitutions this season that have made me think really? One of those being the Connolly off for Lallana against Liverpool and leaving Gross on the pitch - admittedly, I'm glad he did because Gross is great at pens! But Connolly was causing their defence problems, it's just unfortunate we have a forward line that seems to just aim at the goalkeeper for every shot. As well as the persistence of White in midfield and leaving out Alzate is a bit of a head scratching one at times.

However, I personally think a large issue is in our back line and goalkeeper. I genuinely think we could do better than Ryan and felt he should be dropped to kind of remind him that his position is not guaranteed.

Personally, I think what we really need to do is bring in a decent attacking coach and get our team to practice shot placement and finishing and then maybe bring in a no2 who we genuinely think could challenge Ryan for a place in the line up.

Midfield wise I think we're lower-mid quality, Bissouma is just wonderful to watch.

Defence wise, I think Dunk's dip in form has been a worry but a back three of White, Dunk and Webster should be adequate enough. March has been great at LWB, but it's a weak position in terms of depth so it would be great to find an adequate no2. Lamptey won't be with us for long, but think Veltman's good enough to cover; obviously just not as good as Lamptey.

In all, i think we have the resources to stay up - just not really improve upon last season. COVID has really changed Potter's progression IMO, the reality of relegation is terrifying if we cannot have fans back in their entirety.

Potter needs to show a bit more pragmatism and less 'ideology' in playing style at least for the time being.

pigcity

Dec 1, 2020
Think things went south to me when after getting 4 points last Xmas against Chelsea and Bournemouth he radically changed the team for the FA Cup game (not like we were in Europe and didn’t even start Murray?) and lost that momentum (and feel good factor with Ali’s goal we had). We were pretty bad from then on until the Covid break with allowed us to regroup and salvage the season. This season the second half against WBA was a shocking slow motion car crash. Maybe behind the sciences he is inspiring but you don’t get that from any press conference. Should have gone mental and riled the team up about the Southampton penalty but did nothing and now is hoping Welbeck can get Maupay (rather than the coaching staff) to get Maupay scoring again if I read that right?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Don't get me wrong, I think if we fail to beat either Fulham or Sheffield United people will really start to turn. And I think they'd be well within their rights to.

But ask yourselves: what are our options if we sack him? Just look at the shortlist for the WBA job, it's enough to send shivers down your spine.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
After that performance, I’m even more sure he has to go. We were shite for 65 minutes.

People have low expectations if they think that was anything other that shite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So the players want to hear that it doesn't matter if we lose to Fulham Or that if we lose the next ten it won't have much significance. Ah, OK, think I've got what you're saying now :thumbsup:

:wozza:

The players will not give a flying **** what he says to the pre-match press.
I doubt they will even listen to it.

They will have heard first hand directly from him what his viewes really are.
The lethargic, irrelevant, drone of the predictable QA from all Prem managers is only for fans.

What you are saying is that you don't want to hear it...
Well that's a shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here