Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I find it very hard to believe we paid out more in wages than Derby

Think back to 2013/14, they had no big name players that season.

I would expect their wage bill for 2015/16 to be significantly higher though on the basis on the signings of Bent, Ince, Weimann and Carson.

They also picked up a £250k bonus from Sky on Friday similar to our CKR deal.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it has always been about the money for the vast majority of players, and I have no issue with them for that.

As a money nerd, here is the wage bill of all the clubs in the Championship and their league position in brackets afterwards for 2013/14

1: QPR £75.3 million (4)
2: Blackburn (8)
3: Leicester (1)
4: Reading (7)
5: Wigan (5)
6: Bolton (14)
7: Forest (11)
8: Leeds (15)
9: Burnley (2)
10 ALBION (6)
11: Birmingham (21)
12: Bournemouth (10)
13: Derby (3)
14 Middlesbrough (12)
15 Ipswich (9)
16 Millwall (19)
17 Huddersfield (17)
18 Wednesday (16)
19 Watford (13)
20 Charlton (18)
21 Blackpool (20)
22 Barnsley (23)
23 Doncaster (22)
24 Yeovil (24)

To put it into context, the side with the sixth highest wage bill paid out nearly £11 million in wages MORE than the Albion.

We've actually done well under both Poyet and Garcia to have made the playoffs in consecutive seasons, but the odds were against us when we've done it.

Very interesting. I would have thought we'd be below halfway for our budget last season and this season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Very interesting. I would have thought we'd be below halfway for our budget last season and this season.

The season in question we had the likes of Koosh, Buckley, Ulloa, Upson and so on.

None of them were on peanuts.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The season in question we had the likes of Koosh, Buckley, Ulloa, Upson and so on.

None of them were on peanuts.

I meant the budget for the season just gone and the upcoming season as the quality of our squad has dramatically declined in comparison to the rest of the division. If our wage budget was still in the top half for last season, the recruitment team did an even worst job than I thought.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Attacking players were priority and it's a shambolic window yet again....Do they not realise you need to score goals to win games and 0-0's will not get you anywhere?
What the hell do they do all summer as it's embarrassing

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I meant the budget for the season just gone and the upcoming season as the quality of our squad has dramatically declined in comparison to the rest of the division. If our wage budget was still in the top half for last season, the recruitment team did an even worst job than I thought.

The actual figures won't be out for months, but my understanding is that the playing wage bill is pretty much in line with 2013/14. (Might be a small increase).

Whilst we did well to finish 6th in 2013/14 with the 10th largest wage bill, finishing 20th last season with a similar wage was very poor indeed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it has always been about the money for the vast majority of players, and I have no issue with them for that.

As a money nerd, here is the wage bill of all the clubs in the Championship and their league position in brackets afterwards for 2013/14

1: QPR £75.3 million (4)
2: Blackburn (8)
3: Leicester (1)
4: Reading (7)
5: Wigan (5)
6: Bolton (14)
7: Forest (11)
8: Leeds (15)
9: Burnley (2)
10 ALBION (6)
11: Birmingham (21)
12: Bournemouth (10)
13: Derby (3)
14 Middlesbrough (12)
15 Ipswich (9)
16 Millwall (19)
17 Huddersfield (17)
18 Wednesday (16)
19 Watford (13)
20 Charlton (18)
21 Blackpool (20)
22 Barnsley (23)
23 Doncaster (22)
24 Yeovil (24)

To put it into context, the side with the sixth highest wage bill paid out nearly £11 million in wages MORE than the Albion.

We've actually done well under both Poyet and Garcia to have made the playoffs in consecutive seasons, but the odds were against us when we've done it.

Didn't the wage bill that year include redundancy payments in excess of £1m pushing us higher up the list making the manager's achievement more impressive?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Didn't the wage bill that year include redundancy payments in excess of £1m pushing us higher up the list making the manager's achievement more impressive?

Not to my knowledge. The manager was dismissed for gross misconduct so that significantly reduced the payout.

There were 13 other managerial changes in the Championship that season too.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Attacking players were priority and it's a shambolic window yet again....Do they not realise you need to score goals to win games and 0-0's will not get you anywhere?
What the hell do they do all summer as it's embarrassing

This summer was / still is the time to go out and spend 5 to 6 million on a proven top goal scorer( if ever a beast exists for that price). higher wages could be funded from the combined saving of CMS and kemi no longer on the books. Yes we would be exposed if he got crocked in say December but to have that hope, expectation and excitement back would be worth the risk. Agents know that the longer they stretch out a possible deal the more they can get for their player and thus themselves. Still optimistic but this is a very big week ahead for all of us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This summer was / still is the time to go out and spend 5 to 6 million on a proven top goal scorer( if ever a beast exists for that price). higher wages could be funded from the combined saving of CMS and kemi no longer on the books. Yes we would be exposed if he got crocked in say December but to have that hope, expectation and excitement back would be worth the risk. Agents know that the longer they stretch out a possible deal the more they can get for their player and thus themselves. Still optimistic but this is a very big week ahead for all of us.

It seems a good idea in theory, but Fulham did just that last season when signing McCormack for £10 million, and they were as bad as us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Will vote next Sunday.

3 decent players in by Aberdeen, and we are on course.

A week of NUL SINGINGS and it'll start to be looking GRIM.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Gary Hooper

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who knows? But watch revenues plummet if we have another bad season... as I say. false economy...
It's not false economy. Spending more than FFP and getting a transfer embargo would also hit our crowds and revenues - that would be a false economy. And our lack of success last season wasn't all about penny pinching, we spent a lot more than several other clubs.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Gary Hooper

Wouldn't surprise me to see Hooper on our radar.

As proven strikers go we could have done a lot worse than Darren Bent. We did well to attract him on loan. I can't recall the detail of the deal - maybe it was only ever a short term and mutually convenient arrangement - so he got game time and therefore put himself in the shop window, while we (temporarily) borrowed a proven goal scorer.

Were we ever interested in making Bent's loan permanent - or was he always well beyond our price range? The 12 goals he subsequently scored in 17 games for The Rams would have made our season a heck of a lot more respectable.

Irrespective of our striker options it concerns me that we do not have the pace and creativity to provide them a quality service. Hopefully that will be addressed in the next week or two. Trouble is my instincts tell me that Hughton will want three more defenders and another 'keeper.......... Please prove me wrong Mr. Hughton!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here