Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the Bournemouth BUBBLE burst ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Personally, I think they'll escape. This looks like the weakest prem for years, and that will save Palace as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
For Bournemouth to get automatic promotion after one season in the Championship takes the piss, especially after all our hard work last season and other seasons where we have just missed out.

Everything went right for them from the moment they kicked off in the Championship. Knowing Bournemouth they will probably be OK this season. If they did somehow get relegated the money will only last so long because there will so many players on massive contracts, and If they failed to get promoted again and the owner isn't prepared to cover the loses I could see them going down again, that is where the infrastructure and number of season ticket holders comes in to play.

....and there lies the key, the infrastructure and number of STH's. It doesn't matter how much money you pump in, if you are only playing to 11,000 people in the PL, you will not survive. They cannot grow unless they invest in a new stadium. They can't boost their support base. Youngsters living in the area and unable to get tickets will start looking at St.Marys as a different option. Top players like playing in big grounds and ultimately, Bournemouth will hold less appeal for them. They may be offered decent wages but the chance to play infront of 30-40,000 is far more appealing.
If they don't hold on this season, I think they will struggle to get back again. Bigger clubs below them, with bigger stadiums and bigger infrastructure and bigger potential are getting their act together and are desperate to gatecrash the PL party.

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
I think we should be OK but I'm not as optimistic as I was at the start of the season. Overall we matched United pretty well until a defensive error and we would have got a point off West Ham had Harry not got sent off. So, yeah, it's zero points but not disastrous yet.

That said, we're not looking nearly as dangerous in attack at the moment as we did in the last two seasons. Yes, I think losing Ritchie is a big part of that as one of our strengths last season was that the entire team knew each other so well and Ritchie was a key part of that. Ibe.. jury is out, he has flashes of brilliance but does slow down play a bit and needs some confidence. Will see what Eddie can do with him.

Wilson isn't looking nearly as dangerous as he did before but he's being left up front a lot on his own and he worked better with a different style of striker along side him such as Kermogant or Murray.

But, it's early days yet, hopefully we'll get a couple of wins this week to build some confidence and then kick off from there before being brought down to ground by Man City in a couple of weeks.

Good luck for this season, really hope that you get in the automatic promotion places this year.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hull, Burnley and Dancing Alan could well ensure Bournemouth survive this season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've never seen the Bournemouth thing, and I've been forced to watch them a lot. Surely I can't have caught them on a bad day every time? They have a selection of interchangeable scurrying midfield players but if they can't out-graft their opponents, there's not much there. Stoke passed them off their own park last season, and Man City beat them with embarrassing ease.

Then there's that whole 'plucky little Bournemouth' nonsense that you'd have hoped people would have seen through by now, especially after the FFP figures came out. Eddie Howe's attitude was that if ignoring FFP was the way for them to be successful, then that is what they'd do. I, for, one, wouldn't be sorry if the village people go down.

This in spades. They'll have the begging buckets out again in a few years time. I won't be contributing.

D

Deleted member 22389

I think we should be OK but I'm not as optimistic as I was at the start of the season. Overall we matched United pretty well until a defensive error and we would have got a point off West Ham had Harry not got sent off. So, yeah, it's zero points but not disastrous yet.

That said, we're not looking nearly as dangerous in attack at the moment as we did in the last two seasons. Yes, I think losing Ritchie is a big part of that as one of our strengths last season was that the entire team knew each other so well and Ritchie was a key part of that. Ibe.. jury is out, he has flashes of brilliance but does slow down play a bit and needs some confidence. Will see what Eddie can do with him.

Wilson isn't looking nearly as dangerous as he did before but he's being left up front a lot on his own and he worked better with a different style of striker along side him such as Kermogant or Murray.

But, it's early days yet, hopefully we'll get a couple of wins this week to build some confidence and then kick off from there before being brought down to ground by Man City in a couple of weeks.

Good luck for this season, really hope that you get in the automatic promotion places this year.

As I said in my earlier post I think you will be OK, however if the worst does happen it will be a mammoth task to get back, it then comes down to your infrastructure and how much the money men are prepared to put back in to the club to ensure you get back. That money doesn't last long. Dread to think what your wage bill is every week.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I've never been a fan of the 'I hate this club, that club' etc because I'm not that way inclined - and I'd rather focus on the Albion.

BUT, though I couldn't call it anything like a hatred, I do dislike Bournemouth. This is borne out the fact that not one, but two guys I know through my work are Bournemouth fans. Their relentless boorish, smug 'banter' throughout their Championship seasons were so indicative of a paranoid, smaller club syndrome, they were impossible to like - or even engage with. One had manufactured this absurd hatred of Albion, purely because we're also on the south coast. Every time they won - and more to the point, we didn't - out came the sneering snipes. Vile man. Neither had watched the Cherries for more than a couple of seasons and along with many others had hijacked the glory train. I've met so many wonderful fans from so many clubs over the years. But I've yet to meet a gracious, genuine supporter at Bournemouth. Of course there are many, my judgement having been clouded by my personal encounters, but maybe I wouldn't care if they were relegated this season....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
they have certainly looked bang average in the first 2 games.. early days though, and I think they do have goals in them that will see them survive... just

Selling Ritchie was a strange one though.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've never been a fan of the 'I hate this club, that club' etc because I'm not that way inclined - and I'd rather focus on the Albion.

BUT, though I couldn't call it anything like a hatred, I do dislike Bournemouth. This is borne out the fact that not one, but two guys I know through my work are Bournemouth fans. Their relentless boorish, smug 'banter' throughout their Championship seasons were so indicative of a paranoid, smaller club syndrome, they were impossible to like - or even engage with. One had manufactured this absurd hatred of Albion, purely because we're also on the south coast. Every time they won - and more to the point, we didn't - out came the sneering snipes. Vile man. Neither had watched the Cherries for more than a couple of seasons and along with many others had hijacked the glory train. I've met so many wonderful fans from so many clubs over the years. But I've yet to meet a gracious, genuine supporter at Bournemouth. Of course there are many, my judgement having been clouded by my personal encounters, but maybe I wouldn't care if they were relegated this season....

I can see how that might put you off,

I have a chap at work who is a Bournemouth fan. He was actually (very briefly) a player for them way back when. He's a very considered, humble and genuine bloke. I think clubs that do well always attract fans like you've endured, but for evere one of them, there's a genuine lifer as well.

Personally I have nothing against Bournemouth. They won't last long in the Prem but I wish them all the best and hope they enjoy the ride,

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Personally I have nothing against Bournemouth. They won't last long in the Prem but I wish them all the best and hope they enjoy the ride,

Which is exactly what it is. I still double take when I see them in the Prem Table.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Personally, I think they'll escape. This looks like the weakest prem for years, and that will save Palace as well.

Are you saying that being a weak division there are 3 clubs worse than Bournemouth and Palace who both help make this a weak division. I think that there are about 6 or 7 clubs that could be in the mix.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Oh Simster - And I signed your Falmer petition too when you got the table and chairs out outside Dean Court all those years ago. And that's all the thanks I get eh ;-)

Yeah bit of a ropey start, classic 2nd syndrome by the looks, Wilson needs more games and I think Eddie is trying to be a bit more solid and mixing up formations. On paper the side is better and Lewis Cook looks a steal in the making from Leeds. I was happy we got some funding after all these years, all I really wanted was a bigger ground and a solid championship club tbh; never really considered the PL.

Anyway, Palace away on Saturday..sure you'll wish us the best?!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Are you saying that being a weak division there are 3 clubs worse than Bournemouth and Palace who both help make this a weak division. I think that there are about 6 or 7 clubs that could be in the mix.

Hull, Watford, Burnley - IMO, will save the other two, not forgetting Sunderland, WBA, Swansea.....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hull, Watford, Burnley - IMO, will save the other two, not forgetting Sunderland, WBA, Swansea.....

The same 7 as me but not sure of which 3 will be relegated it depends if any go in to a serious slump. I think the most likely to pull out will be WBA with or without signing Lewis Dunk, which hopefully they wont. I also think that Moyes has enough know how and if backed will keep Sunderland up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Way way too early to make any meaningful predictions about the top or bottom of any league surely? This thread is just a wish list :smile:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The same 7 as me but not sure of which 3 will be relegated it depends if any go in to a serious slump. I think the most likely to pull out will be WBA with or without signing Lewis Dunk, which hopefully they wont. I also think that Moyes has enough know how and if backed will keep Sunderland up.

I just know Palace will squirm their way out, as will Bournemouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here