Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Poyet asked to leave?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just go Gus, it's boring now, you've done fantastically well for us but all this touting for jobs together with your post match comments the other night, have made it difficult for you to stay here.
Time for some fresh ideas, enthusiasm and someone who doesn't just see it as a stepping stone.

Which bit is boring...what part of reaching 4th place ....or is it really you just dont like the man

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Isn't FFP in the courts at the moment ( action brought by the bloke who introduced us to Bosman ?) and therefore may not be applied ?

But back to Gus. I know nothing of meetings etc ( though my milkman's uncle's dart team mate has a dog that pees on the trees near the Amex- and it's heard nothing either ),but he would do well to reflect on where he is and where he's come from.I said on another thread that he's won ONE thing as a manager,a league one title with us.Hardly a knock the door down CV for the Premier League.Still,Sunderland took a gamble,so perhaps somebody else will want a manager with some flair though with prima donna tendencies.

But we've seen managers go before,and hey! the club is still here.The supporters are still here. And 6 points from palace will be here next season !

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
gus seems to think prem clubs are queueing up for him......err, most will have watched our palace games - and he failed against a poor team with no money.

martinez to everton - then who will want gus? he has an ego above what he is.

we are on the rise, and if he does not want to be part of that - do one.

he thinks hes is bigger than our club - he isn't.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Sick of him doing this to be honest.

Never known any other manager ever be so unwilling to make public statements of commitment to the club he manages.

Indeed. I'm thoroughly naffed off with his self-obsessed behaviour. "It's all about Brighton" my arse. It's all about him; & the sooner we get somebody in that faces up to financial constraints of FFP & gets on with actually managing our team in in Championship the better. I'm sick to death of his brattishness. Enough already. :annoyed:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Gus is always going on about the playing budget - it'll be what it'll be. I don't ever want to see my club getting itself into the sort of state our friends from up the A23 and along the A27 seem so keen on, and if that means Gus leaves in a hissy-fit then so-be-it.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
HTML:
I thought it was a 5 year plan? Seems well on track to me. If Gus is trying to move the goal posts he may be best to try his luck somewhere else. Grass is greener and all that.

I'm not that bothered if he stays or goes after listening to the end of his post match interview a few times.
Totally this. It's up to Gus to see through his FIVE year plan, if he feels that he is not on track then maybe it is time to move on but I feel that we are progressing nicely.

I do get the feeling that Gus goes public when sometimes it's best to keep things behind closed doors.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
gus seems to think prem clubs are queueing up for him......err, most will have watched our palace games - and he failed against a poor team with no money.

It's not about 1 or 2 games ... he's done a really good job taking our team from L1 obscurity into the Championship and then into the play offs ... no denying that whatsoever

He's also done a good job in presenting himself to the media (and therefore every Chairman in the Prem) that he's ambitious and wants to get on, whilst at the same time suggesting that little old Brighton might be punching above it's weight (and that bit I don't buy)

The Wolves and Reading jobs came along at a bloody perfect time making it look like he was considering (which I doubt he ever really was) but was holding out for something better

Cue Fulham or someone similar now

His after match interview was terrible ... no loaded questions just "What now?" Instead of "we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves down and get on with the job next season etc etc ... he comes out with the quite obvious "I'm open to offers" stuff. If he has a need to sit and talk to TB about his future and where he takes the club then do it but not put yourself in the shop window 5 minutes after our biggest game in recent history.

I fear it's going to get pretty boring the next few days with all the speculation

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Indeed. I'm thoroughly naffed off with his self-obsessed behaviour. "It's all about Brighton" my arse. It's all about him; & the sooner we get somebody in that faces up to financial constraints of FFP & gets on with actually managing our team in in Championship the better. I'm sick to death of his brattishness. Enough already. :annoyed:

Every time Gus has done this he has taken the pressure of his players.

When we had that run of defeats, and dropped out of the top 8, he made another of his statements, basically said how well his side were doing (given the financial restraints), and whether connected or not the team bounced back and we had a great run to get to 4th.

Again, the team didn't perform over the course of the 2 legs semi, I don't think this was tactics, formations, starting XI, the team collectively just didn't quite step up to the plate - there is only a certain amount the manager and his staff can do once the players cross that line. But are the players being held to account? No, again Gus has praised his team on a great season, and again effectively said we've over achieved with what we have. They've been completed protected by what he has said.

It's perhaps not the best way to do it, but I can't recall him ever coming out and criticising his players, and they've responded to that with an excellent run to get us to 4th place.

He's an emotional, ambitious, heart on his sleeve, latin temperament kind of guy. Love his passion for the game, love his ambition. He wants bigger and better things for himself, he wants Brighton in the PL, or himself, we all know that, while he's here it's something we need to live with.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've been a Gus loyalist all the way through, even during shaky patches. I love what he's brought to this club.

But his desperation to pursue his career in the Premier League is something he can barely disguise and with several vacancies likely to emerge over the coming months, he's bound to want to grab one of them. He knows his stock has never been higher, and if next year we finish lower than fourth he's not going to be quite the hot property he thinks he is now.

I'd love him to stay and finish the job. But on the basis of that interview it would appear he's looking for a way out. If that's what he's telling Tony Bloom - either explicitly, or in the form of unrealistic money demands - it's probably best that he goes now, allowing a new manager a whole summer to deal with the situation.

D

Deleted member 22389

I've been a Gus loyalist all the way through, even during shaky patches. I love what he's brought to this club.

But his desperation to pursue his career in the Premier League is something he can barely disguise and with several vacancies likely to emerge over the coming months, he's bound to want to grab one of them. He knows his stock has never been higher, and if next year we finish lower than fourth he's not going to be quite the hot property he thinks he is now.

I'd love him to stay and finish the job. But on the basis of that interview it would appear he's looking for a way out. If that's what he's telling Tony Bloom - either explicitly, or in the form of unrealistic money demands - it's probably best that he goes now, allowing a new manager a whole summer to deal with the situation.

Feel the same now. Reality is we have had a fantastic season, and it's all be turned in to a negative because of these comments.
If it happens, we then need to appoint someone who has Championship experience and can work within our budgets. Who knows it might work out for the best getting someone new.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Meh, this is idol speculation.

If Gus does leave now, in this way, seemingly because we didn't go up, even though he picks the squad and coaches the team - if he leaves now - I recon that this will be the longest job he ever has in football management.

Idle gossip more like. We havent got a clue if he really "stormed out". Someone said to someone who said to another person. Human nature to add a little juice to the story.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
It's not about 1 or 2 games ... he's done a really good job taking our team from L1 obscurity into the Championship and then into the play offs ... no denying that whatsoever

He's also done a good job in presenting himself to the media (and therefore every Chairman in the Prem) that he's ambitious and wants to get on, whilst at the same time suggesting that little old Brighton might be punching above it's weight (and that bit I don't buy)

The Wolves and Reading jobs came along at a bloody perfect time making it look like he was considering (which I doubt he ever really was) but was holding out for something better

Cue Fulham or someone similar now

His after match interview was terrible ... no loaded questions just "What now?" Instead of "we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves down and get on with the job next season etc etc ... he comes out with the quite obvious "I'm open to offers" stuff. If he has a need to sit and talk to TB about his future and where he takes the club then do it but not put yourself in the shop window 5 minutes after our biggest game in recent history.

I fear it's going to get pretty boring the next few days with all the speculation

It was Fulham 24 hours ago, so yes, more than cue'd.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Every time Gus has done this he has taken the pressure of his players.

When we had that run of defeats, and dropped out of the top 8, he made another of his statements, basically said how well his side were doing (given the financial restraints), and whether connected or not the team bounced back and we had a great run to get to 4th.

Again, the team didn't perform over the course of the 2 legs semi, I don't think this was tactics, formations, starting XI, the team collectively just didn't quite step up to the plate - there is only a certain amount the manager and his staff can do once the players cross that line. But are the players being held to account? No, again Gus has praised his team on a great season, and again effectively said we've over achieved with what we have. They've been completed protected by what he has said.

It's perhaps not the best way to do it, but I can't recall him ever coming out and criticising his players, and they've responded to that with an excellent run to get us to 4th place.

He's an emotional, ambitious, heart on his sleeve, latin temperament kind of guy. Love his passion for the game, love his ambition. He wants bigger and better things for himself, he wants Brighton in the PL, or himself, we all know that, while he's here it's something we need to live with.

You're right, the team didn't quite step up to the plate on Monday - so why did he immediately (& publically) state that he was gonna have a showdown over budgets for better players to come in over the Summer? It doesn't sound to me like he's defending his players: in fact it's quite the opposite. You may still love the guy - with his ambition & the heart on the sleeve personality - but I've grown sick & tired of his self-obsessed attitude & public disrespect of how our club look to run a sustainable operation. No one person is bigger than any club, & it's clear to me that Poyet believes he is. He's done a great job in propelling us to a team that is knocking on the door of promotion to the Premier League, but at the same time Brighton & Hove Albion has done one helluva lot for him too. I could be wrong, but if he thinks the grass is so much greener at an under performing Premiership club - he's in for a rude awakening. So be it.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Tony knows stability is the key and to get rid of Gus would rip this team apart, say what you want about Gus but he's the only reason the likes of Bridcutt, Ulloa & others would hang around.
It wouldn't take much for us to end up in a relegation dog fight next season, one of the smallest margins between 6th and relegation in any season and with the teams coming down it'll be even harder to get out of this division
in the right direction.
Tony won't stand in his way if he wants to go but i'm sure he'll put up a fight to hang on to him, he hasn't put a fortune in to this club to take a backward step and that could well be what happens if he goes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have heard that Gus stormed out of a meeting today with tony and paul. what should we read into this
that your source is rubbish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here