Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Nathan Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew? - Sacked 12/02/2023

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I think Stains have got their timing wrong. They could've have either sacked Ralph the Rabbit Hutch in the summer and brought in Jones (or someone else) with a view of progressing the squad, or they should've stuck with Ralph.

I'm not sure what Nathan can do with what is clearly an extremely undercooked squad, starting behind the rest of the pack. Hope they stick with him if they go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think Stains have got their timing wrong. They could've have either sacked Ralph the Rabbit Hutch in the summer and brought in Jones (or someone else) with a view of progressing the squad, or they should've stuck with Ralph.

I'm not sure what Nathan can do with what is clearly an extremely undercooked squad, starting behind the rest of the pack. Hope they stick with him if they go.
Jones basically had a 5 week pre season with the squad during the World Cup & he’s got a transfer window now!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Jones basically had a 5 week pre season with the squad during the World Cup & he’s got a transfer window now!
Don't know how much a pre-season helps if you have such an undercooked squad tbh. It's not like 5 (3 in reality) weeks training is going to turn Adam Armstrong into Harry Kane is it?

I'm sure that they'll bring in a few this month but the January window is a completely different beast to the summer, especially for a team sitting at the bottom of the pile. It's all a bit desperate for that lot IMO. Don't think Jones can really be at fault for that - it's poor planning by the club/board.

N.B. I will find it very enjoyable when they do go down on a personal level.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
SkySports social media team reading NSC? 😂

Attachments

• 007A134E-6F11-4410-81E7-8D9C8EE02301.jpeg
    007A134E-6F11-4410-81E7-8D9C8EE02301.jpeg
    699.5 KB · Views: 47

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good evening!

Thought I would come on here and post from a saints fans perspective.

Firstly, well done on a fantastic season so far ( genuinely ) even after a change of manager, I think you’ve surprised a few to carry on where potter left.

Game against you on Boxing Day… were to start? I think it’s easy for some saints fans to say ‘we made Brighton look good’ but in reality, you’ve been good all season, and in current form you’d be expecting to be beat us. You played well, and one hell of a strike from march for his first goal!
Thank you. I couldn't go on an opponent's forum and say the same - maybe you care less than me, but I expect you're just a better person (y)

Back to Nathan Jones….

It was questionable at the time, and looks like a disaster appointment now.

Never have I in my time as a football fan seen such feelings of displeasure towards a manager so early on.

It was toxic last night, signing ‘Nathan Jones, what a W*nker’ sacked in the morning etc.

He basically had a pre season with 99% of our squad, to put his stamp on the squad, find the right formula… but he’s genuinely made us worse.

Persisting with 5 at the back when we don’t have the players to play that system. We’ve switched to a back 4 nearly all games he’s taken charge off, and we look so much better.. but then he goes back to a back 5?

Best thing would be for the owners to come out, hands up and admit they got it wrong and change now to give us the slightest hope of staying up…

It looks likely we are going down…
Still a long way to go. Some here thought Jones should've had the Brighton job ahead of Hughton. I have no idea whether Jones will make it as a manager. The PL is obviously hard, and even top sides like Chelsea can go on bad runs, so any manager taking over at Southampton could have struggled.

‘Can you keep up with us’ not looking great now is it?
Pah, that was just a stupid comment by one particular twat and nothing more.

All the best for the season
Thank you!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I went to the Southampton - Forest game the other night and I cannot recall a set of fans turn on a new manager so quickly. Saints had one chance which Adams blazed wide early on and then absolutely nothing. The gap in quality between the other game I saw (us v Arsenal) and this one was huge.

I thought Jones was a bit prickly in the post-match interview - he will certainly have antagonised the home fans even more.
Nathan Jones is prickly whe you say " hello how are you to him "

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't know how much a pre-season helps if you have such an undercooked squad tbh. It's not like 5 (3 in reality) weeks training is going to turn Adam Armstrong into Harry Kane is it?
True. But he had 6 weeks to work on his tactics against Brighton which I feel we can all agree were a bit basic and odd. At least if he got his tactics right, even if they weren’t executed properly, you can argue there is some hope…..but he’s been promoted out of his depth.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
They are indeed a fickle lot. On the whole I’ve found Saints fans to be a friendly bunch, and the banter I’ve had with many has been good natured. Having said that they have been incredibly intolerant of their club - probably rightly so. A lot of their ‘die hard’ fans of the past now refuse to go to St.Mary’s because of the woeful way the club has been managed at all levels over the last few seasons. I do believe this sorry saga will get a lot worse before there is any improvement.
When you say "sorry saga". In a nutshell, what would you say Saints fans believe has happened? And why are they expecting it to get a lot worse?

el punal

When you say "sorry saga". In a nutshell, what would you say Saints fans believe has happened? And why are they expecting it to get a lot worse?
Keeping it as brief as possible :

Ownership issues - since the death of Marcus Liebherr , who rescued and supported the Saints (think Tony Bloom) the club have had a succession of inadequate owners. It seems their remit has been to sell their best players (Van Dijk, Mane, Shaw, Lallana, Lovren etc) and replaced them with bargain basement replacements.

A lack of direction, structure and purpose - where is the club going what are it’s aims (five year plan and all that)?

Poor management recruitment - with the exception of Pochettino and Koeman who both jumped ship.

Not investing time or money in their famous academy which has produced very little in the way of quality over the last few years - compare that with the Albion.

A breakdown of trust and communication between the club and its supporters.

Awful performances on the pitch reflecting the whole malaise of the club in general.

Hiring Nathan Jones (poor sod) on the cheap. Allegedly on £1.5 million p.a. compared with £6+ million for Hassenhuttl (sp?)

The new owners Sport Republic seen as using the club to gain loans to support their other interests.

To sum up - a poisoned chalice, a dog’s dinner, a complete f*** up of a once proud, well run club. And, in my view with no solution anyway near the horizon.

There, I think that just about covers it! :drink:

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
Went today..

First half was shocking.

A large portion of saints fans singing ‘Nathan Jones, you’re football is Shit’ ( he also alluded to this chant after the game, so fair play )

In my opinion, we got lucky. 2 massive defensive errors led to our goals, and other than those, we didn’t look like scoring.

Oh well.

In the hat, as they say

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here