Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Nathan Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew? - Sacked 12/02/2023

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Jones is still referring to " Southampton " and " them " ( the players ).....not " we " and " us "......it almost feels like he knows he isn't going to be there long so is not fully embracing his position.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I hope Nathan does well but his task looks daunting even at what is still an early stage of the season.
As a proven Championship manager maybe Southampton are preparing themselves for next season

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Very interesting the relegation battle this season.

Of all the teams down there , them and Everton they look like they fancy it the least.

Everyone else look like they have sleeves rolled up and will fight to the end .

-----------
Bournemouth ( but suspect they may fluke it somehow)
Everton
Saints

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Of all the teams down there , them and Everton they look like they fancy it the least.

-----------
Everton
Saints
It is indeed an in interesting one. There isn't one side down there I'd 100% back to lose on any given day. Everton are shocking, yet took a point at Man City barely a week ago. Southampton are clearly the worst team in the league but if they can sort their defence out, they can still win the close ones they need to win.

None of them are like Fulham and Norwich of years gone by, where one spot was as good as taken 10 games into the season. I wouldn't put my mortgage on any of the bottom 8 going down, or staying up.

el punal

I hope Nathan does well but his task looks daunting even at what is still an early stage of the season.
As a proven Championship manager maybe Southampton are preparing themselves for next season
That’s what many Southampton fans think as well. The similarity between the predicaments of Saints and Everton is almost identical - poor ownership, a lack of structure, awful recruitment policy, struggling managers, demotivated players - the list goes on. Everton, though, do have quality players Saints definitely do not.

Southampton desperately needed to get something from their three post-World Cup games - they got nothing from two awful performances against us and Forest and an unfortunate defeat at Fulham. I would be very surprised if they could turn this around, more to the point I don’t think Nathan Jones has the wherewithal to do it either.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

-----------
Everton
Saints
Well the likes of Southampton and Everton aren't used to a relegation battle, (Everton l don't think, have ever played outside the top division), whilst to the likes of Bournemouth, Notts Forest and leeds have all been relegated in recent seasons.

But l agree, it will be facinating watching this pan out.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I went to the Southampton - Forest game the other night and I cannot recall a set of fans turn on a new manager so quickly. Saints had one chance which Adams blazed wide early on and then absolutely nothing. The gap in quality between the other game I saw (us v Arsenal) and this one was huge.

I thought Jones was a bit prickly in the post-match interview - he will certainly have antagonised the home fans even more.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Jones is still referring to " Southampton " and " them " ( the players ).....not " we " and " us "......it almost feels like he knows he isn't going to be there long so is not fully embracing his position.
Some of the media picked up on that as well - very strange and not very endearing

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I went to the Southampton - Forest game the other night and I cannot recall a set of fans turn on a new manager so quickly. Saints had one chance which Adams blazed wide early on and then absolutely nothing. The gap in quality between the other game I saw (us v Arsenal) and this one was huge.

I thought Jones was a bit prickly in the post-match interview - he will certainly have antagonised the home fans even more.
Mrs DiS, who is a Saints season ticket holder, would always maintain that the Saints crowd is a lot less tolerant than most - particularly Brighton. They will give their team and manager a hard time even if things are not too bad.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If it's not 6 points from Everton and Villa then he's gone.
Soton tend to be penny pinching. They'd rather not pay out 4 years of contract to Nathan. They're hang on till its too late.

el punal

Mrs DiS, who is a Saints season ticket holder, would always maintain that the Saints crowd is a lot less tolerant than most - particularly Brighton. They will give their team and manager a hard time even if things are not too bad.
They are indeed a fickle lot. On the whole I’ve found Saints fans to be a friendly bunch, and the banter I’ve had with many has been good natured. Having said that they have been incredibly intolerant of their club - probably rightly so. A lot of their ‘die hard’ fans of the past now refuse to go to St.Mary’s because of the woeful way the club has been managed at all levels over the last few seasons. I do believe this sorry saga will get a lot worse before there is any improvement.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
They are indeed a fickle lot. On the whole I’ve found Saints fans to be a friendly bunch, and the banter I’ve had with many has been good natured. Having said that they have been incredibly intolerant of their club - probably rightly so. A lot of their ‘die hard’ fans of the past now refuse to go to St.Mary’s because of the woeful way the club has been managed at all levels over the last few seasons. I do believe this sorry saga will get a lot worse before there is any improvement.
That's how I've mostly found them. One of my best mates is a Saints fan and he's definitely a glass half-full kind of supporter but he went into the game downcast and negative. He thinks Jones is the worst manager they have had since Branfoot (about 30 years ago).

I would also say they are more demanding and vitriolic than our fans on the whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here