Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Interesting to see that.

As I wrote the other day, the run from April (particularly Arsenal and Spurs away; Man Utd and West Ham at home) really changed perception imo.

And the difference was Caicedo...
Yep. Funny to think that the influence of a young man from Ecuador could have had lent such a gloss to the cv of GP.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
One rhetorical question I’d have for Potty and his merry little men who followed him is, I hope the extra dosh was worth it!
If the reports were correct...... £60m.
Sixty f*cking million pounds!!!
Just think about what you can do with that amount of money.

It's actually insane that Chelsea would pay that amount.
I wonder if there are performance related clauses built into the contract.

How much of that would he receive if he got sacked?

Brok

Bork. I meant Bork.
Dec 26, 2011
One rhetorical question I’d have for Potty and his merry little men who followed him is, I hope the extra dosh was worth it!
Yes, a good question to put to the multi-multi-millionaire Potter. I reckon it probably was, for him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, a good question to put to the multi-multi-millionaire Potter. I reckon it probably was, for him.
Nope I'm not seeing that at all.

Sure it's the cherry on top of the sprinkles crushed nuts raspberry sauce (don't judge me) flake of the sundae.

But I see this as him thinking Chelsea was a 'natural stepping stone' to be Pep II, with all the silverware.
To be currently failing so badly he might never get another chance is hurting him badly.

Or he's a money driven twonk.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
If the reports were correct...... £60m.
Sixty f*cking million pounds!!!
Just think about what you can do with that amount of money.

It's actually insane that Chelsea would pay that amount.
I wonder if there are performance related clauses built into the contract.

How much of that would he receive if he got sacked?
I read something somewhere that said there would be performance clauses that build security in for both parties because Chelsea would be mad to do such a long contract without them. It might also be that his pay is partially deferred too - the supposed £800k a month is more than Arteta, puts him on a par with Conte pretty much, and not far behind Klopp. Chelsea would be crazy to pay that from the start to someone so unproven and it may be that it's a much lower (but still amazing) figure with some of the salary linked to specific milestones being met.

I'm not so sure. He's smart enough to know that this wouldn't have been his only opportunity for a big(ger) job if he'd been more patient, that it may have been an error of judgement, and he's thin-skinned enough / big ego enough to feel all the criticism sharply. I would imagine if he gets sacked it'll take him a long time to get over that, however much money he's made: he'll know he's quite likely sabotaged his chance of respect and being seen as a mould-breaking success because it's unlikely he'll get a big 6 chance again, and those two things matter a lot to him I think.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One thing I was wondering is whether anyone can recall a manager turning down a move from a modest / small club to a twatish / big one?

I was racking my brains for an example of a time when the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool etc. were turned down? Of course, we might not know it had happened because approach and turning down was kept private, but that's unlikely right?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Still can't post as Swansman but feel I need to reply to this.

"Droyman" isn't me. "SwedishEntity" is me.

It makes no sense that I'd think "oh, SwedishEntity is a bit obvious - I'll go around and firecely defend someone under the name of "Somethingman" instead".

The similarity in usernames suggests that someone from here is trying to make it look like I'm at The Shed End all the time. I'm not. Some of you are apparently, but personally I just check in once in a blue moon. I don't even read threads because I know what every thread says already, and I also know that I'm not interested in fencing for Graham over there right now.

Whatever loser from here spending time at The Shed End roleplaying as me: you're peak tragedy. I thought I was a bit silly posting a lot on NSC, but this weird roleplay thing over at The Shed End is just taking the patheticism (may not be a word but now it is) to the next level.

Not even doing a good job: you can use two or three exclamation marks over a lifetime and this bloke just throws them around in pretty much every post.
Hilarious to think someone from here has registered with the Chelsea forum just to pretend to be you.

Now interestingly there have been one too many posters posting quotes from 'The Shed End' to reinforce their points as if to say, look, this Chelsea intellectual is basically saying what I think, so we're one of the same mind, while at the same time having a go at you for not being Brighton enough. I actually think I'm going PM @gripper stebson with a plot for a new film involving internet forums, intrigue, subterfuge and murder, with a romantic thread in there somewhere, but that still needs working on...

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
One thing I was wondering is whether anyone can recall a manager turning down a move from a modest / small club to a twatish / big one?

I was racking my brains for an example of a time when the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool etc. were turned down? Of course, we might not know it had happened because approach and turning down was kept private, but that's unlikely right?

It's speculation and rumour but Simon Jordan gave Potter a lot of credit for loyalty to Brighton for apparently turning down Spurs interest twice.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Quite interesting reading the #potterout thread on twatter,

there are hundreds of posts in the feed, but hardly anyone who actually goes and watches them. Most of them are overseas armchair fans who are just interested in instant gratification!

probably wanking themselves silly reading the thread

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Mick Beale then of QPR turned down the Wolves job recently, at the time the media were impressed with his loyalty, 10 minutes later he’s at Ibrox

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
interesting reading these responses!

I've been looking at this from another angle, how good is our chairman and set up to support the team and their leader!

From top to bottom, our amazing club is set up for success - I would like to see GP suceed but interesting to see how this plays out under the new structure he has and players on big contracts he will have to lose somehow

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

It makes no sense that I'd think "oh, SwedishEntity is a bit obvious - I'll go around and firecely defend someone under the name of "Somethingman" instead".

The similarity in usernames suggests that someone from here is trying to make it look like I'm at The Shed End all the time. I'm not. Some of you are apparently, but personally I just check in once in a blue moon. I don't even read threads because I know what every thread says already, and I also know that I'm not interested in fencing for Graham over there right now.

Whatever loser from here spending time at The Shed End roleplaying as me: you're peak tragedy. I thought I was a bit silly posting a lot on NSC, but this weird roleplay thing over at The Shed End is just taking the patheticism (may not be a word but now it is) to the next level.

Not even doing a good job: you can use two or three exclamation marks over a lifetime and this bloke just throws them around in pretty much every post.
Honestly ‘Swanny’ we can’t take you anywhere!

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021

Not even doing a good job: you can use two or three exclamation marks over a lifetime and this bloke just throws them

You should setup your own football forum or start your own football podcast.
You’d certainly have your followers. NSC is obsessed with you. Time you think how to cash in on this?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
interesting reading these responses!

I've been looking at this from another angle, how good is our chairman and set up to support the team and their leader!

From top to bottom, our amazing club is set up for success - I would like to see GP suceed but interesting to see how this plays out under the new structure he has and players on big contracts he will have to lose somehow
I do suppose we view our club with blue n white specs, however, we do have a great set up and I would think the view of us from players perhaps signing for us must be good. The squad does appear to be close knit in the main with some very good professionals.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
if he were to get the old heave ho before the season is out, it would be fascinating to see him have to settle for a struggling Premier League club.

Oh, who am I kidding? Fascinating be damned. I’d just love him to have to dwell on winding up with a far worse set up than he had with us and have to start all over again.

Of course, one could argue he’s got a worse set up now but he does have access to pots of cash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here