Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has Dunk peaked?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know Reds are an occupational hazard for defenders but is Dunk above the average? How many has he had in his career so far?

I’d be interested in reds per EPL games, for all the CB’s in the England frame in the last 5 seasons.

A nsc idea in the past was that it was the main reservation Southgate had about Dunk, that he couldn’t trust him getting a red in vital qualifiers or tournaments.

Albion’s gain, he can focus solely on us.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not in his best form, but no, he has not peaked.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He’s no more past his peak than the similarly aged Duffy. The problem for both is that they’re not the kind of defenders suited to the way Potter asks his players to play. The more this team progresses the more obvious that will become. It doesn’t, of course, mean he has suddenly become a bad player.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
How quick to jump on and criticise? Think you have peaked ! Or maybe hit a trough !

i just asked whether he was as good as he was a couple years ago after some poor form before and after his injury. Yes i was quick posting this, because i want to vent healthily and this is the way i did it. I never once called him bad or not good enough. For the standards he has set himself, he is not playing to those standards.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think he peaked a while ago but that’s not a crticism as it’s a very high peak. He’s brilliant. He actually had a poor start to last season and turned it round and I’m sure he will again.

But in my opinion he’s not as good a player as Webster, Veltman or last season, Ben White though.

I strongly disagree with those saying Burn is a better player though. As good as Burn has been for 2 months, I’ve seen nothing to suggest over a sustained period in the last 3 years that that’s the case at all.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’d be interested in reds per EPL games, for all the CB’s in the England frame in the last 5 seasons.

A nsc idea in the past was that it was the main reservation Southgate had about Dunk, that he couldn’t trust him getting a red in vital qualifiers or tournaments.

Albion’s gain, he can focus solely on us.

Heard same. He did go through a diving in and own goal period too. But has been the outstanding Albion home grown talent in our entire history really.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think he peaked a while ago but that’s not a crticism as it’s a very high peak. He’s brilliant. He actually had a poor start to last season and turned it round and I’m sure he will again.

But in my opinion he’s not as good a player as Webster, Veltman or last season, Ben White though.

I strongly disagree with those saying Burn is a better player though. As good as Burn has been for 2 months, I’ve seen nothing to suggest over a sustained period in the last 3 years that that’s the case at all.

Burn is absolutely not a better player than Dunk but you could make an argument for Burn being better suited in a Potter team. We’ve looked our best with he and Webster marauding forwards imho.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I know Reds are an occupational hazard for defenders but is Dunk above the average? How many has he had in his career so far?

He picked up a lot in his early career for stupid reasons, like gobbing off to the ref when on a yellow, or going in ott because the forward had wound him up. Not really a fair reflection to count his career reds, but I think this is his 5th Premier league red, which is pretty high, considering the most ever is 8 and Vinnie Jones only got 7 over 12 PL seasons

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Heard same. He did go through a diving in and own goal period too. But has been the outstanding Albion home grown talent in our entire history really.

We can still love him as a one club stalwart, even if England won’t happen again.

[My thoughts in no way validate the caps handed to Mings and Keane].

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Be interesting to see what GP does on Saturday, I’m not sure Duffy will play.

A back four of Lamptey, Veltman, Webster and Cucurella has a very GP feel.

I’d love Duffy to play though - just so he can kick that **** Rodriguez off the park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He picked up a lot in his early career for stupid reasons, like gobbing off to the ref when on a yellow, or going in ott because the forward had wound him up. Not really a fair reflection to count his career reds, but I think this is his 5th Premier league red, which is pretty high, considering the most ever is 8 and Vinnie Jones only got 7 over 12 PL seasons

Wow! That’s quite interesting really, albeit you needed to do more to get a red in Vinnie’s day.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Dier 0
Keane 0
Coady 0
Mings 1
Stones 1
Maguire 2

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
i just asked whether he was as good as he was a couple years ago after some poor form before and after his injury. Yes i was quick posting this, because i want to vent healthily and this is the way i did it. I never once called him bad or not good enough. For the standards he has set himself, he is not playing to those standards.

It is possible to lose a game without needing a scapegoat though surely ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wow! That’s quite interesting really, albeit you needed to do more to get a red in Vinnie’s day.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Do you remember the QPR/Stains thug Mark Dennis? 12 reds in an era where refs allowed maiming in the early stages of games with the silly “Cut it out, I’ll let you off first time”.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Burn is absolutely not a better player than Dunk but you could make an argument for Burn being better suited in a Potter team. We’ve looked our best with he and Webster marauding forwards imho.

I have been a big supporter of Dunk over the years but I think you could make a strong argument that if Burn had stayed then he would/should have kept his position over Dunk because he was playing so well as a defender and more importantly he changed the style of play so we were quicker going forward with less tippy tappy at the back.

Thought the club was wrong to sell Burn but its not me that makes decisions but surprised that Potter let it happen as he fits his style of play better than Dunk ( though he always used to bring the ball forward and play great long passes)

Haven't seen the sending off so can't comment on what happened tonight.

All players make mistakes

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I have been a big supporter of Dunk over the years but I think you could make a strong argument that if Burn had stayed then he would/should have kept his position over Dunk because he was playing so well as a defender and more importantly he changed the style of play so we were quicker going forward with less tippy tappy at the back.

Thought the club was wrong to sell Burn but its not me that makes decisions but surprised that Potter let it happen as he fits his style of play better than Dunk ( though he always used to bring the ball forward and play great long passes)

Haven't seen the sending off so can't comment on what happened tonight.

All players make mistakes

I thought they were wrong as well.

Burn was at the top of his game when we sold him. Can’t help feeling there was a tiny bit of sentiment in thinking Dunk would replace him again because he has been such a great servant to the club.

Debate the decision as much as you like but that was a very bad error he made tonight and one I don’t think Burn would’ve made.

I hope he bounces back and proves me wrong….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here