Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Bloom changed?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Firstly, let's be clear - Tony has transformed our club and I'm truly grateful for that.

However, my question is 'has Bloom changed his approach to Managerial appointments?' Thinking back to the timing of Slade getting the elbow the season following the heroic great escape; we were 1 point above the drop zone in November. What's different? Was it that he was a DK appointment? The style of football we were playing? That Bloom has more patience?

Just an observation like.

A question is not an observation

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Well we dug ourselves out of that hole, so plenty of time to give Sami more chances to prove he is not close to useless as a manager :smile:

By 21 Feb 2016 we could be chasing a League One playoff place...

Corrected for you :thumbsup:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
In answer to the thread title though, I don't know if Bloom has changed, but my perception of him has. I still trust him of course, I have no doubts that he ultimately has only the best interests of BHAFC at heart. But that delusional statement he came out with a few weeks back, claiming that this is a squad which is capable of challenging for the top 6, really shook me. Because for the first time, it sounded to me like he wasn't quite playing with a straight bat. Frankly, it was complete bobbins and insulted the intelligence.

I know he has to remain positive and upbeat of course. But we can all see that the quality and experience we once had has gradually been eroded since Gus was binned off, and the bargain-bucket replacements are quite evidently closer to L1 standard than being anywhere NEAR top 6 material. Where we once had a spine in the team comprising of PIG - Upson - Bridcutt - Ulloa, we've for the most part this season had Stockdale - Greer - Gardner - Baldock, or pick any other combo from the multitude of loans and misfits in Hyypias revolving door policy. They're all inferior. Add in the (horrifying) revelation that this is now apparentrly the most lavishly paid squad of players in the clubs history, and with Blooms managerial appointment now floundering so badly...my faith and belief in Bloom has been shaken of late. Not in his intentions, but in his judgement.

Absolutely this.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The more nothing is done the more the worry we will sleepwalk into League 1 whilst Bloom carries on his delusions, I just don't understand why his view on Hyppia is so strong despite every piece of evidence saying the opposite

Deeply disturbing that most of the fans, and maybe even some of the customers, can see this, whereas nobody in the club apparently can. A conspiracy theorist might be forgiven for thinking there were big bets riding on relegation ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree with this. It's us that have changed by expecting and demanding instant success. For me the jury is still out on Sami, I think he has a case to answer from his critics, but it is still early in his tenure. Sometimes appointments work out, sometimes they don't. I do not think it is a question of Bloom changing, but just the possibility that one of his choices may not have worked out.

I agree.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Has Bloom changed

No, he's still got the balls to carry the plan through. It's just a few needy fans that want everything yesterday, and can't handle not winning that may have changed.

This maybe so! But if we are relegated to Div 1 we will be in a far worse position than when we were at the Withdean

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Christ knows what happened with Gus, but that certainly wasn't a sacking we were looking to make until he kicked off with his own agenda.

Can't agree with that. Gus was forced out from the moment he said he needed extra funds.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree with this. It's us that have changed by expecting and demanding instant success. For me the jury is still out on Sami, I think he has a case to answer from his critics, but it is still early in his tenure. Sometimes appointments work out, sometimes they don't. I do not think it is a question of Bloom changing, but just the possibility that one of his choices may not have worked out.

I'm not expecting or demanding instant success. With the players we've lost and another new manager coming in, this was always likely to be shaping up as a season of transition. With all the changes, I was never expecting a serious tilt at top 6 this season anyway. If Hyypia had us trundling along in midtable and I could see that there was a work in progress underway, then I'd be happy enough with that.

But we have been SO poor this season, and Hyypia has been so alarmingly clueless to arrest the slide, its already become urgent that we make a change before its too late. I honestly cannot see Hyypia organising, galvanising or motivating this team to pull us away from the relegation zone. I don't know why Bloom has the faith in him, I just see no evidence that he has what it takes to be a success here. And the longer he leaves it, the harder its going to be to put this right.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree with this and it is my belief that Barber was brought in to, amongst other things, control Gus, as TB I believe found this hard to do.

Bringing in the man who sacked Gus from Spurs to keep Gus in check is a remarkably naive move from our leader. Unless of course he knew it would lead to Gus wanting out, in which case it was very confrontational. I would love to know what the thinking was by TB

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Bringing in the man who sacked Gus from Spurs to keep Gus in check is a remarkably naive move from our leader. Unless of course he knew it would lead to Gus wanting out, in which case it was very confrontational. I would love to know what the thinking was by TB

My opinion is this exactly. Why else would you bring in someone you knew the manager who had got you promoted, would not get on with.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm not expecting or demanding instant success. With the players we've lost and another new manager coming in, this was always likely to be shaping up as a season of transition. With all the changes, I was never expecting a serious tilt at top 6 this season anyway. If Hyypia had us trundling along in midtable and I could see that there was a work in progress underway, then I'd be happy enough with that.

But we have been SO poor this season, and Hyypia has been so alarmingly clueless to arrest the slide, its already become urgent that we make a change before its too late. I honestly cannot see Hyypia organising, galvanising or motivating this team to pull us away from the relegation zone. I don't know why Bloom has the faith in him, I just see no evidence that he has what it takes to be a success here. And the longer he leaves it, the harder its going to be to put this right.

I think this post sums it up entirely. I know Bloom quite rightly wants to manage the club at arms length, but you only do that when things are ticking along. Things are not ticking along, and he is failing in his position as Chairman at the moment. Quite why he felt like backing Hyypia the way he did is a mystery. Quite why he appointed him in the first case is another.

To lose one manager may be regarded as misfortune. To lose two looks like carelessness.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

At what point would you consider Hyppia not to be good enough when relegation is confirmed ??

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

If Bloom wanted Poyet to walk he wouldn't have bought Ulloa for him. In any business you have to protect yourself and you cannot have an employee run the show for himself, so you need the Barber's of this world. Bloom couldn't trust or rely on Gus for advice after he let Murray go. That was a costly test for Poyet and Bloom was right to reserve some doubt in Poyet's decisions.

If Poyet had a problem with Barber, that was his paranoid problem.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If Bloom wanted Poyet to walk he wouldn't have bought Ulloa for him. In any business you have to protect yourself and you cannot have an employee run the show for himself, so you need the Barber's of this world. Bloom couldn't trust or rely on Gus for advice after he let Murray go. That was a costly test for Poyet and Bloom was right to reserve some doubt in Poyet's decisions.

I think we have had far more costly tests since then and Poyets team have brought money back into the team when sold which will be far more than the misfits signed during the summer ever will

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If Poyet had a problem with Barber, that was his paranoid problem.

Going slightly off topic, I spoke to a Norwich fan today and asked him how Murray played for Reading last weekend. "A different class to everybody else on the pitch" was his reply :down:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Deeply disturbing that most of the fans, and maybe even some of the customers, can see this, whereas nobody in the club apparently can. A conspiracy theorist might be forgiven for thinking there were big bets riding on relegation ???

Any good leader won't listen to the rabid rants of the easily panic-stricken. I'd much rather our man in charge doesn't give in to the shrieks for immediate change, but even if he does I won't roam around internet sites declaring the removal of my faith in him. He'll make decisions, just as Hyypia does, and not every one of them has to be perfect or announced as imperfect if they are just that. We're in a time, it seems to me, in which the growing in number hopeless not only demand their say, which is perfectly reasonable, but want it to be followed in a flash. I find it a tad tiresome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here