Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Bloom Biten Off More Than He Can Chew?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We constantly hear "Top six is the target" yet sell Barnes, Bridcutt and El Abd at the end of a January transfer window.

It's funny, as there I was thinking we finished sixth. Did I imagine that?

El Abd wouldn't have made any difference as he wouldn't have played, Bridcutt was refusing to play, so that only really leaves Barnes, who may or may not have made a difference.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Top six is NOT the target, the target last year was, and I assume still is, to go 'Straight Up'

So, that's just us and approximately ten to fifteen other Championship clubs then.

Blimey, there must be a lot of devastated football fans around at the moment.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
As long as the growing influence of parachute payments doesn't create a two-tier Championship of haves and have nots. Then staying "patient" might put us out of the game.

The business arguments I think are more complicated than merely stay frugal and you'll get your rewards.

When you look at the number of bigger (ex Prem) teams that missed the play-offs by some distance, and some of the smaller-budget teams edging upwards, I still don't think this is a division that's all about money. A shrewd manager can achieve a respectable league position on a modest budget. The easiest reaction when things go wrong is to yell for more cash, as it takes the pressure off the manager and puts it onto the chairman. Bloom won't be forced into silly spending.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's as if Moneyball had never been written, never mind filmed. Or this book. Or this one.
Liverpool is twinned with its local university for an MBA programme.

There's not much left in the game of by-guess-and-by-God. Not with these sums involved.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Could not agree more. Some of the post-Derby wailing has been embarrassing.
Are you for real?..... we have just been embarrassed again in the playoffs, our manager is making noises about budgets and resignations, 11 of our squad are up for grabs contract wise, some of the others are obvious targets for other clubs.... and you think everything is rosy in the garden, and that nobody ( other than you it seems), has got the right to air their views in public.... come on chap, we are floundering in no mans land again, questions and comment should be put out there.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Bitten off more than he can chew ...NO

Lack of replacing certain players in the January transfer ... YES

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Derby have spent a fortune have they?

£750,000 on russell last summer

Martin and Grant either low fees or frees not sure

Then in the season they have added loans from the prem in Wisdom,Thorne,Bamford and Dawkins

That on top of the players they had already like Bryson,hendrick,keogh,Buxton and Hughes

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
It's like building a stately home then you realize you have haven't enough money to fit a kitchen so have to make do with the camping stove till you have enough money.

When you look at the number of bigger (ex Prem) teams that missed the play-offs by some distance, and some of the smaller-budget teams edging upwards, I still don't think this is a division that's all about money. A shrewd manager can achieve a respectable league position on a modest budget. The easiest reaction when things go wrong is to yell for more cash, as it takes the pressure off the manager and puts it onto the chairman. Bloom won't be forced into silly spending.

If you are saying that some managers can waste money on transfers, that's undoubtedly true. I would never underestimate the role of the manager who is able to make the most of his resources, which is why for me Oscar compares unfavourably this season with the likes of Dyche, Howe, McClaren, Rosler etc.

But not spending on new players could mean we miss out on the £120m a year revenues that would transform our finances. What I don't get is those who say this is a simple puzzle to solve by just doing modest business in the transfer windows and everything will - somehow - work out eventually.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As his investment(s) in the club have been a small percentage of his personal wealth I doubt very much he is out of his depth. A very shortist comment may I add.

Do you know what his personal wealth is as there has never been any confirmed reports or on any rich lists. His wealth is an assumption based on the investment he has made, it is possible that this has taken most of his money, but hopefully not.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We haven't lost 'a' game though. We've been twatted in the play offs, again.

I do think we need to ask questions of the board. Is the plan working, and why can we not keep hold of young, inexperienced managers? Seemingly these managers are doing the job, and hitting the objectives, but they feel they can't take the club forwards.

Am I alone in finding the use of the word "twatted" strangely appropriate given the content of this post ???

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Are you for real?..... we have just been embarrassed again in the playoffs, our manager is making noises about budgets and resignations, 11 of our squad are up for grabs contract wise, some of the others are obvious targets for other clubs.... and you think everything is rosy in the garden, and that nobody ( other than you it seems), has got the right to air their views in public.... come on chap, we are floundering in no mans land again, questions and comment should be put out there.

We were just beaten by the better team, no shame in that. We are clearly not ready for premier league football so I do not think this season has been a failure. I am concerned about the Oscar rumours. With very little concrete info to go on the internet has managed to fill the fact void with a lot speculation and hot air. I would certainly like the situation dealt with quickly though either way.

People have the right to their opinions but I have found the constant bitching throughout the season really tiresome, especially when we have done so well in trying circumstances. We have no divine to right to go up, whether anyone likes it or not we have had to slash and burn to comply with FFP, and do that quickly, which has meant no splashing of cash on transfers even though we did go for Grabban in january.

Things may not be entirely rosy in the garden, but I believe we will be well set for another challenge next year.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We were just beaten by the better team, no shame in that.

No shame at all, but like the palace 2nd leg last season, it was more the manner of the defeat, and the subsequent budget/manager output that gets everyone twitchy.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Do you know what his personal wealth is as there has never been any confirmed reports or on any rich lists. His wealth is an assumption based on the investment he has made, it is possible that this has taken most of his money, but hopefully not.

All I know is someone who worked for him on one of his business deals said to me he netted personally £750 million on that one deal alone. He stated he is one wealthy chap.

There is no way he would stake a high percentage of his personal wealth on a "hobby" investment. As he has said in many interviews he doesn't expect a return on his investment other than being able to hand the club over to his son one day. At the same time though he has also sated he will fund the club until such time at it is self sufficient but expects that will be sooner than later.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, incredible investment into the stadium and training complex, but seemingly out of his depth as far as player investment is concerned.

Is FFP a smokescreen for him to justify a lack of player investment?

IMO we should be eternally grateful for what he's done for the club, but is it time he lowered his and our expectations?

We constantly hear "Top six is the target" yet sell Barnes, Bridcutt and El Abd at the end of a January transfer window.

Time for our targets to reflect the level (or lack off) on field investment

So he's doing fine, then ? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here