Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys at the Stadium

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I heard that this is in response to cider drinkers complaining about the lack of decent cider.

*******s. :nono:

Is it BHA getting rid of Harveys or Harveys refusing to supply?

I can see Barber trying to buy at such low prices with a take it or leave it offer they told him to f Off.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yes they would. They might be disgruntled, and people on HERE would be up in arms, but when it came down to it, they would.

Not in the same quantities they wouldn't. I certainly won't be staying at the Amex after the game if I cannot get a proper ale, and I am sure I can speak for most of my mates that they would not either.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yes they would. They might be disgruntled, and people on HERE would be up in arms, but when it came down to it, they would.

Some would but i'd say probably only 10-20%. Personally unless it was replaced by a good ale wouldn't drink pre-match anymore and very little after the match

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

I wouldn't.

I usually have one or two pints before then one at half time. If we only serve shit like John Smiths I'll have two at the Swan, turn up later and forgo the mental rush at halftime. I've avoided drinking shit for years and I'm happy to vote with my belly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is it BHA getting rid of Harveys or Harveys refusing to supply?

I can see Barber trying to buy at such low prices with a take it or leave it offer they told him to f Off.

I absolutely understand your point, but if Barber was NOT trying to screw down suppliers to improve margins*, he wouldn't be doing his job properly.

*This assumes that the CLUB actually buys the product at all - that deal is more probably between the caterer and the supplier?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some would but i'd say probably only 10-20%. Personally unless it was replaced by a good ale wouldn't drink pre-match anymore and very little after the match

Good luck with the queues to get away from the ground.

(I don't like any of the drinks on offer, most notably the cider is shit and most of those I go with feel the same. But we all tend to stay behind because a shit drink is better than a long queue.)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think NSC would go into meltdown if this happened. Yet another stick to beat Barber with!

lol I know how popular Harveys is with a lot of people, being a local ale and all that. I don't dislike it, but I'd love to see anything brewed by Sharps on offer at the Amex, at least in the WSL. Superb Cornish beer, especially Doom Bar, or Cornish Coaster.

I absolutely understand your point, but if Barber was NOT trying to screw down suppliers to improve margins*, he wouldn't be doing his job properly.

*This assumes that the CLUB actually buys the product at all - that deal is more probably between the caterer and the supplier?

But then wouldn't the caterers have their own contracts with a brewery of their own choice?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I can fully understand the moans if true.

But this smacks to me of people complaining about price rises last season.

Rightly P-eed off that something is changing, but after all the moaning people will continue to buy something as its maybe two or three pints every two weeks.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
If this is true it is financial suicide and proof that the club are not acting on behalf of the supporters and local businesses. Already under pressure for changing the caterers to one that a lot of people on here have said is poor by experience they will be taking a massive risk by binning Harveys. If John Smiths is the replacement, I for one will be drinking at the matches elsewhere before games. At the next forum Barber may have a few difficult questions to field. it would look hard to defend the decision to get rid of the popular local brew. If Piglets Pies go too, after winning the awards last year you wonder if the club are just trying to P**s everyone off.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

I wouldn't. In fact I'd never buy anything at the stadium again.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I can fully understand the moans if true.

But this smacks to me of people complaining about price rises last season.

Rightly P-eed off that something is changing, but after all the moaning people will continue to buy something as its maybe two or three pints every two weeks.

I think you under-estimate some beer drinkers palette.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Some of you guys make me laugh, Barber must be to blame for the economic downturn, global warming and strawberry prices at Wimbledon. Come on, if he wasn't trying to navigate the club safely through the FFP rules coming in he really would deserve the constant slagging he gets. Give it a break, football is as much about commercial activity as it is the playing side these days, I'm NOT saying that's a good thing but it is a fact. Look at Man Ure, Real, Barca etc, except we are having to play by the rules whereas they've accumulated massive debts.

Additionally, I would imagine the ale is purchased by the caterer and, if it wasn't, I don't think Mr B would be negotiating the price of each and every bloody item. BTW have you noticed the serviettes getting smaller?.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here