Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty's Phone in - Man in Pub.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have trouble getting motivated for most games and have done since the start of this season. I still go but it's no longer the highlight of my week. Unlike the guy who fancied watching Chelsea I now have even less interest in other teams and certainly wouldn't go and watch another team in preference to the Albion.

I really hope this is only a temporary blip because following the Albion has given me some really memorable days, both good and bad. The price of Withdean following two championships and an adventure in Div 1, I guess.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Just wait until we get close to the play-offs! :drool:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
NMH said:
Some people have trouble grasping what it 'is about' in the game of football.
I would have no problem with the concept of not going to every gameif he doesn't feel like it, but making an announcement or statement of it by phoning in - now that IS a pail of toss . :tosser:

BINGO!

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
I think the chap on the radio was just echoing how many fans feel at the moment.The crowd would have been even lower on saturday had it not been for the fact that the majority of people purchase a season ticket and to be honest you would have major problems trying to sell them if you did`nt fancy the barnsley game.Anybody who was lucky enough to have witnessed the atmostphere at the Goldstone in the seventies will no doubt feel the way I do every time I visit Withdean and even wnen we were doing well there over the last few years the occasion has been crap.I`m not going to renew my season ticket next year because of the cost primarily but also cos the place is dire.I will take my chances with the ticket office and hope to get to 50% of the games.Barnsley at home will not be one I will bust a gut to get too tho

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
I'm sure the guy on the phone-in will be slightly bemused by the extravagance of feeling his comments have created.

Perhaps it was a strange thing to do. After all, if he felt more comfortable in the pub than going to the game then why did he motivate himself to ring Harty?

But he has a point and a right to his point of view.

I agree with many of the posters that a day watching the Albion is about more than the match.

But there are many negatives at the moment: the ground, the lack of atmosphere, mediocre football, poor quality opposition, very few new signings to wet the appetite, losing 3 top quality managers and any hope of real continuity this side of Falmer.

I also feel that people are sometimes over-critical and judge others by their own standards. If they want to watch Albion home and away, and eat, drink and breathe the club that's fine.

But not everybody does. It doesn't make them any the less caring, and if they want to have a whinge about things in general it's their call: where else would they do it but on a phone-in for other fans who may, or may not, agree with them.

Isn't that why people use NSC?

It is, and we do have threads by people who want to make statements about "why I stay away" and "what is incredibly wrong about Withdean/Dick Knight/the squad/the price of bacon" etc. The fact that anyone makes an effort to put forth their lack of interest in the Albion is a bit odd - sort of a backlash to the protests that took place to save BHAFC from archer and extinction.

It's still frustrating that BHA don't have a better ground, it's also bad that we don't have big dosh. However, at ground level this is a time of famine for the club that has little in the way of options.
We hope to get Falmer, we hope we can build a stadium, we hope we'll have star players to watch etc etc.

No problem with someone preferring to see Shoreham play, or go down the pub, or go shopping. Phoning in to vent their reasons is just throwing stuff out of the pram to get attention - and there is no answer for their moaning - give that man a dummy .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
tadley gull said:
I agree with many of the posters that a day watching the Albion is about more than the match.

But there are many negatives at the moment: the ground, the lack of atmosphere, mediocre football, poor quality opposition, very few new signings to wet the appetite, losing 3 top quality managers and any hope of real continuity this side of Falmer.

I also feel that people are sometimes over-critical and judge others by their own standards. If they want to watch Albion home and away, and eat, drink and breathe the club that's fine.

But not everybody does. It doesn't make them any the less caring, and if they want to have a whinge about things in general it's their call: where else would they do it but on a phone-in for other fans who may, or may not, agree with them.

It's fair enough that people stay away but what annoys me is when people stay away and moan about the team and the lack of new signings. Every thousand people who don't go to a game means a loss of revenue to the club of roughly £20,000; over the course of the season that's about £450k - that would be enough to sign several good quality Div 2 players and a few good Div 1 ones. There might be a few more signings to whet the appetite if Dick and Martin were more confident of good crowds but with the current malaise affecting the supporters it's little wonder that they're loath to commit to any great expense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here