Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty's Phone in - Man in Pub.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
So he made his choice. Not a choice all of us would have made. That's fair enough.

So why did he have to ring up Harty and tell him about it?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
He's dug his own hole here. If you decide to go to your mates instead of the game then fair enough. If you go to your mates instead of the game and then phone up a radio show to let everyone know what you're doing then you are open for abuse.

Did you hear the phone in? If you did you'd unerstand.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So what you are really pissed off about is that he chose to tell everyone that he hadn't gone to the game, yes?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It's fair enough, he still bought a ticket didn't he. He must be pretty sad to wanna watch a Chelski game on telly over the albion though.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
You obviously didn't hear the phone in.

He basically phoned up to say that he didn't want to go because if felt the games were crap these days (he's never felt like this before etc. short memory). He then went on to say that he got stick from a load of Barnsley fans after the game (So I presume he was near the station or ground). He was basically phoning in for a good moan and was proud of the fact that he would rather watch Chealski.

You really had to of heard it as I don't remember what he said word for word.

I heard the phone-in and repeat that I agreed with most of what the bloke said. I'm also pretty certain that he said it was the first game (home at least) that he'd missed voluntarily in 37 years. Sure Harty will confirm this either way.

Why did he phone in? To make the point that he was fed up with things at the moment, to the point where he'd rather sit in a pub all afternoon than sit in the cold and watch the team. Fair enough if you ask me, as he was putting across a view shared by many at the moment.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dwayne said:
It's fair enough, he still bought a ticket didn't he. He must be pretty sad to wanna watch a Chelski game on telly over the albion though.

??? ???

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I don't really enjoy going to Withdean anymore.

No atmosphere, poor games, don't win much.

I'd rather go there than watch Chelsea on TV though.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lammy said:
You obviously didn't hear the phone in.

He basically phoned up to say that he didn't want to go because if felt the games were crap these days (he's never felt like this before etc. short memory). He then went on to say that he got stick from a load of Barnsley fans after the game (So I presume he was near the station or ground). He was basically phoning in for a good moan and was proud of the fact that he would rather watch Chealski.

You really had to of heard it as I don't remember what he said word for word.

I didn't hear it because I walked straight back to the pub after the game.

Didn't see any Barnsley fans around after the game. Not even on the M1 going back north.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Safeway said:

Why did he phone in? To make the point that he was fed up with things at the moment, to the point where he'd rather sit in a pub all afternoon than sit in the cold and watch the team. Fair enough if you ask me, as he was putting across a view shared by many at the moment.

Very valid point i reckon.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
If the Chelsea game had nothing to do with it then why did he mention it on the radio.

Imagine where we'd be if everyone shared his attitude?

Ignoring the Chelsea factor if you like. If everyone didn't bother to turn up when we're going through a rough patch we wouldn't have a club to support.

If you don't like the atmosphere at Withdean then turn up and sing!!

Maximum respect to the bloke in J Block who stood up and had a go at everyone! I thought J block was in pretty good voice after that!

I can't stand people who are happy to sit back (in the pub in this case) and moan about poor performances and lack of atmoshere and yet are willing to do sod all about it themselves. If you think the atmosphere is bad then try and get a few songs started? If you think the game is bad then try and offer some constructive critisism rather than the attitude, sod it I'd rather stay in he pub and get beered up!

(500 posts now btw ;) )

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If we'd all had this the-football's-crap-so-why-should-I-bother? attitude then we might just as well have give up after Archer sold the ground.

Did this geezer really say that the games were crap and he'd nebver felt like this before? If so, perhaps he can explain why the football we played under Jimmy Case was so sparkling.

Coincidentally, I've been watching the Albion for 37 years (to the week) and I've seen some dross but it's never stopped me going back. I've been skint and spent virtually all my dole money going to an away game, I've been drenched, frozen, had bricks chucked at me and I'm still going because there's nothing to beat live football.

I can't believe that people will give up going to live game, be it Plymouth or Barnsley, to sit and watch footie in the pub. It's a good job that thousands didn't feel the same way after that 3-2 defeat to Darlo or there probably wouldn't be a club to follow any more.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gwylan said:

I can't believe that people will give up going to live game, be it Plymouth or Barnsley, to sit and watch footie in the pub. It's a good job that thousands didn't feel the same way after that 3-2 defeat to Darlo or there probably wouldn't be a club to follow any more.

Oh dear....

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
The 3-2 to Darlo was just about the lowest I've ever felt following the Albion, never stopped me going though, and so it should be!

Lammy said:
If the Chelsea game had nothing to do with it then why did he mention it on the radio.

Imagine where we'd be if everyone shared his attitude?

Ignoring the Chelsea factor if you like. If everyone didn't bother to turn up when we're going through a rough patch we wouldn't have a club to support.

If you don't like the atmosphere at Withdean then turn up and sing!!

Maximum respect to the bloke in J Block who stood up and had a go at everyone! I thought J block was in pretty good voice after that!

I can't stand people who are happy to sit back (in the pub in this case) and moan about poor performances and lack of atmoshere and yet are willing to do sod all about it themselves. If you think the atmosphere is bad then try and get a few songs started? If you think the game is bad then try and offer some constructive critisism rather than the attitude, sod it I'd rather stay in he pub and get beered up!

(500 posts now btw ;) )

Congrats on the big 500! :clap:

I think he mentioned the Chelsea game in exactly the same way as he might of said "I went round my mate's house" or "I went to the cinema/shopping". The fact he watched another game in the pub is what seems to winding most people up.

Regarding your "if everyone didn't bother" comment, loads of people blatantly AREN'T bothering. To the tune of about 500 every game. Obviously the chances of EVERYONE not turning up for the same game are extremely small.

Can't speak for the radio bloke (what a shame he doesn't use NSC), but I will always do my upmost to help the atmosphere and get behind the lads. In the seats at Swindon my mates and I virtually led the singing. Sometimes though it's just not possible, especially at Withdean.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Safeway said:
Congrats on the big 500! :clap:

Regarding your "if everyone didn't bother" comment, loads of people blatantly AREN'T bothering. To the tune of about 500 every game. Obviously the chances of EVERYONE not turning up for the same game are extremely small.

And there is real concern that this will affect our chances of getting Falmer!!! Why give them a bigger ground when they can't fill the one they have!!!

It is vital that we pack out the ground week in week out like we used to!

What a time for everyone's support to come off the boil!!!

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
I didn't go on Saturday. After a full-house with cracking atmosphere at QPR last week I couldn't stomach another grim afternoon of the Withdean 'experience' so I sold my ticket to a mate and went to London to see some friends..... nothing wrong with taking a break once in a while..... I will be back for the Plymouth game, though.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lammy said:
And there is real concern that this will affect our chances of getting Falmer!!! Why give them a bigger ground when they can't fill the one they have!!!

It is vital that we pack out the ground week in week out like we used to!

What a time for everyone's support to come off the boil!!!

For the MILLIONTH time.

IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f*** sake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here