Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Harry Kane

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He’s a great player.

Deserves to play for a club that will challenge for and win trophies. No issues with him trying to force a move if that’s all he can do.

But.

Why did he sign a 4 year extension? That seems like a really poor decision he’s been advised on. Levy can dig in and wait for a huge offer as is his right to.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s a great player.

Deserves to play for a club that will challenge for and win trophies. No issues with him trying to force a move if that’s all he can do.

But.

Why did he sign a 4 year extension? That seems like a really poor decision he’s been advised on. Levy can dig in and wait for a huge offer as is his right to.

To grab a colossal pay rise and Enid Levy sold him a story that they (HK’s beloved club) were on the verge of trophy gathering, building the team around him.

You often also get a (later disputed) promise that the club wouldn’t stand in their way if a CL club came in with the right offer.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
[MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] just text me to say he thinks he spotted him at the grand hotel :facepalm:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
To grab a colossal pay rise and Enid Levy sold him a story that they (HK’s beloved club) were on the verge of trophy gathering, building the team around him.

You often also get a (later disputed) promise that the club wouldn’t stand in their way if a CL club came in with the right offer.

I just think that 4 year extension had all the benefit for the club but was not in Kane’s best interests as a player.

Hard to have sympathy if you choose to sign a long contract.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Absolutely. And this is where a proper agent (not a money grubber) comes in. 'What is it you are trying to achieve Harry? Is it just income? Do you want to be a Tottenham legend? Or do you genuinely want to win trophies etc?' Surely if he wants to win trophies, his agent would have said 'then don't sign a new deal, play this smart and think of the long term goal'.

Terribly advised, or wants both the money and the glory, but prioritised the money.

And as for 'gentlemen's agreement', Christ, how naïve is that. If it's an agreement, get it written into the contract. If not, then it's not a bloody agreement. There are no gentlemen when this much money is at stake. As Harry is proving by not turning up to training.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He’s a great player.

But.

A four year extension and lots more money for a player who has hit a rich vein of form in the last few years, but who is quite humbe and struggled a bit when he was younger? I would have thought that suited both parties. Humble and naive if he thought his agreement with Levy was a gentleman's agreement. The sticking point may be that Levy has priced Kane out of the reach of City, thereby sticking to his gentleman's agreement ('of course you may leave') while effectively blocking it's fulfilment. Kane is perhaps rather cross now. But downing tools, if he has done so, seems a bit hasty. If the case.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
IMG-20210728-WA0001.jpg
He has had enough of football and has taken up work as a scarecrow.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
A four year extension and lots more money for a player who has hit a rich vein of form in the last few years, but who is quite humbe and struggled a bit when he was younger? I would have thought that suited both parties. Humble and naive if he thought his agreement with Levy was a gentleman's agreement. The sticking point may be that Levy has priced Kane out of the reach of City, thereby sticking to his gentleman's agreement ('of course you may leave') while effectively blocking it's fulfilment. Kane is perhaps rather cross now. But downing tools, if he has done so, seems a bit hasty. If the case.

Contract was no doubt great for monetary reasons. I fear may not have been the best decision for his career.

He’d have his pick of clubs if his contract was running down.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Highly amusing that - going into the Euros - Raheem Sterling was considered a makeweight for that dullard Kane. RH agent must now be rubbing his hands with GLEE :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just think that 4 year extension had all the benefit for the club but was not in Kane’s best interests as a player.

Hard to have sympathy if you choose to sign a long contract.

I do agree, the same with Zaha. They got very rich, but consigned themselves to years of likely no winners medals.

Some clubs seem far more stubborn than others at preventing a star leaving.

Imo Liverpool did the sensible thing with Suarez (he agreed to give one more year) and Coutinho. Detrimental to have an unhappy player, so maximise the fee, then spend the war-chest on first 11 weaknesses. ManU got a year extra out of Ronaldo then allowed him to fulfil a dream.

Levy and Parish make it bloody hard. Then the fans really hate some departees eg Modric or K.Walker partly because they too were insistent.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I do agree, the same with Zaha. They got very rich, but consigned themselves to years of likely no winners

These people are PIGS. They've earnt millions which fair enough is what commercial enterprise awards them out of all proportion (in the main) to their talent. Someone, somewhere, should just at some point tell them to fvrk right off. Whatever they've got, it's never enough, even though it's more their wildest dreams ever dreamt of.

Hate these people with extreme prejudice :tosser:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
These people are PIGS. They've earnt millions which fair enough is what commercial enterprise awards them out of all proportion (in the main) to their talent. Someone, somewhere, should just at some point tell them to fvrk right off. Whatever they've got, it's never enough, even though it's more their wildest dreams ever dreamt of.

Hate these people with extreme prejudice :tosser:

It has changed for sure. Players all smiles with opponents after derby defeats. Bucketloads of dosh, the next trip to a Cartier/Rolex or Bentley dealers a day away, holidays in 7* resorts with EPL mates at other clubs.

Enough to make old skool Roy Keane angry, again.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
So City are nicknamed The Citizens, and Harold’s surname is Kane. Presumably some newspaper has already done a headline in that vein...

If you must listen to Talksport always switch stations when the adverts come on as it registers on their collated listening stats if enough people do it. It does mean you only get to listen to about 10 minutes of TS per hour but it’s a small price to pay.

That horse bolted a while back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It has changed for sure. Players all smiles with opponents after derby defeats. Bucketloads of dosh, the next trip to a Cartier/Rolex or Bentley dealers a day away, holidays in 7* resorts with EPL mates at other clubs.

Enough to make old skool Roy Keane angry, again.

... what isnt enough to make Roy Keane angry?

Also... Dont think he is starving, exactly. He made a lot of money as well.

Agree things have quite obviously changed though. The money but also the society.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
... what isnt enough to make Roy Keane angry?

Also... Dont think he is starving, exactly. He made a lot of money as well.

Agree things have quite obviously changed though. The money but also the society.

The following is an observation from me, generally accepted. Btw I love Muzza, Dunk, Solly etc.

There’s a real disconnect from fans now. When I first followed the Albion in 1976 kids ran on at 90 minutes to pat their heroes, you knew where many players lived and I called round to one or two for autographs, as a clubber I saw players out and about. Simpler times.

Contrast to now. Security is extensive, cordoned off VIP sections of the ‘poshest’ nightclub. We took the piss of club security when Maty Ryan came to sign autographs to one or two remaining NS kids, security people accompany him with mic talk pieces obviously chatting to the head jobsworth. FFS there’s not a Monica Seles incident waiting in the wings.

Over the top, silly, bizarre times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here