Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harriet Harman

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Always disliked the woman

CYCLING
Labour deputy leader Harriet Harman has written to Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme calling for a women's race at the event.

Harman wants a women's race at next year's Tour, which starts in Leeds. British cyclist Emma Pooley was one of four riders who published a petition to resurrect the event, last held in 2009.

"After the success of the Olympics, women's cycling should not be allowed to slip back into the shadows," Harman wrote in her letter to Prudhomme.

Absolutely silly waste of time woman!

TNBA

TTF

Having met Harriet Harman in the past, she is a thoroughly nice and decent woman...., and I could say that of MP's from all parties that I have met as well, whether or not I have agreed with their politics.

And she has a point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
72,734 signatures, that's quite a few.

However, the proof of the Tour for women will be how many of those bother to turn up and watch, 21 million on route for the men you said, how many will line the route to see the women? What figure will it make commercial sense, what amount of TV audience will make it pay?

It will not work.
:facepalm:

The Womans Tour will be run in conjunction with the men's.

Setting off earlier on shorter courses.

The fans will already be in place for the race.
The media will already be in place.
The TV audience will be watching.

:facepalm:

The Womans Tour will be run in conjunction with the men's.

Setting off earlier on shorter courses.

The fans will already be in place for the race.
The media will already be in place.
The TV audience will be watching.

Like a support act?

One you don't really want to see but as it's there you may as well?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like a support act?

One you don't really want to see but as it's there you may as well?
If you like.

But occasionally the support act is better than the main event.

Last years tour could have done with something else to watch.
The Mens Olympic road race couldn't hold a candle to the womens event, (on the same course) for action.

If you like.

But occasionally the support act is better than the main event.

Last years tour could have done with something else to watch.
The Mens Olympic road race couldn't hold a candle to the womens event, (on the same course) for action.

Would it be before or after the Publicity Caravan went through?

And didn't it rain for the womens and not the mens road race at the Olympics.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would it be before or after the Publicity Caravan went through?

And didn't it rain for the womens and not the mens road race at the Olympics.
I'd imagine the race would be just in front of the caravan.

The womens race was the day after and yes it did rain, but the race itself was completely unpredictable.

I'd imagine the race would be just in front of the caravan.

The womens race was the day after and yes it did rain, but the race itself was completely unpredictable.

So 40% of the fans that watch the tour are there to watch the Caravan above all anyway, official figure that, and you think they'll go to watch the womens race.

Like an F1 race, if it rains it's unpredictable and anyone can win, even though they are not the best driver/rider there they just got lucky and makes for spectacular viewing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So 40% of the fans that watch the tour are there to watch the Caravan above all anyway, official figure that, and you think they'll go to watch the womens race.
It seems mean spirited to say, but the nature of road closures on Le Tour mens people will be there, come what may.
They'd cheer on NSC going past riding Raleigh Choppers.
So to offer up premium racing would be a massive bonus.

The caravan isn't worth going to the foot of your stairs for.

Like an F1 race, if it rains it's unpredictable and anyone can win, even though they are not the best driver/rider there they just got lucky and makes for spectacular viewing.

Not quite, the mens race had a plan, and nobody was prepared to alter the script.

There was no script for the women.

Swap days and you'd still have had identical races.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Would they all have to take the same drugs?

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Harriet Harman will only be happy when it can be proved that god is actually female... Awful woman with huge anti men chip on her shoulder.
That said I see no reason for not having a women's TDF would be great addition to the sport.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would they all have to take the same drugs?

Do footballers all have to take the same PED's.
What about tennis, athletics, rugby, horse racing, golf, most US sports, the Chinese, Russians, Kenyans.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Do footballers all have to take the same PED's.
What about tennis, athletics, rugby, horse racing, golf, most US sports, the Chinese, Russians, Kenyans.
Yes, yes they do - especially sprinters

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Have no issue against this and I enjoyed the women's cycling in the Olympics, but what is writing a letter going to do (apart from win votes on the cheap)?

Not quite, the mens race had a plan, and nobody was prepared to alter the script.

There was no script for the women.

Swap days and you'd still have had identical races.

The script was, so i'm led to believe, that Wiggins would win easily, he didn't because the Aussies altered the script. Fairly unpredictable wouldn't you say seeing as the bookies had him red hot favourite to win.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
If Hattie harperson gets her way then no female cyclist will be wearing skin tight bottoms or tops but dresses.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The script was, so i'm led to believe, that Wiggins would win easily, he didn't because the Aussies altered the script. Fairly unpredictable wouldn't you say seeing as the bookies had him red hot favourite to win.
No.

Cav should have won.
The strongest team was Team GB.

They rode on the front all day, controlling the race.

On the last lap, at the top of Box Hill, a group went clear.
Nobody else helped bring that group back as it would add Cav's victory.

So a Russian won followed by a Columbian because all the other strong nations didn't believe their man could beat Cav.
Proper cutting off nose to spite face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here