Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hans Kraay JR

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
We're with Dutch friends in a France watching a Dutch league match on Dutch TV where Hans was the studio pundit. Apparently he is popular in that role, partly because he is entertainingly controversial. Sounds about right from my memories of him. Would certainly welcome him to the Amex

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
As well as his trademark kangaroo impression in front of the goalie I think he also enjoyed swinging on the crossbar alot although my memory may be playing tricks on that front.
A crowd favourite and I was gutted when he left as he was a right character.
I think he was quite hard too.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
His Dad was a big hitter in Dutch football, manager of PSV ??

He came over and as has already been pointed out probably not the typical Dutch technical player.

I think his disciplinary troubles culminated him being sub for one of his Dutch clubs and walking off and buying some chips and eating them back on the bench.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This.

My NSC name from 1997 to around 2000 was "Hans Kraay Fan Club".

What sort of NOB steals somebody else's user name a few months after it's stopped being used?

Join date 2005. 'A few' months, being about SIXTY months, then....

Anyway, what sort of a NOB changes their username after three years?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
'A few' months, being about SIXTY months....

Anyway, what sort of a NOB changes their username after three years?

On the old board, you had to type out your user name with every post. I got bored. :lolol:

And anyway, you were here long before 2005 - th vBulletin board was first introduced around 2003 I think, and then it crashed and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] had to re-start it completely from scratch.

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
Nope who??

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
He fell out with Cattlin (?) for a while when he took his shirt off when subbed and from memory chucked it down as he ran down the tunnel. Cattlin said something along the lines of " no Brighton player can throw his shirt on the ground and get away with it" I believe he left not long after. That's how I remember it, it's all a bit fuzzy now though.

Limited ability but 100 percenter who was a crowd favourite.

All a bit fuzzy here too as you say but I do remember that he didn't deserve to be subbed that day, he was having the best game of the midfielders. Think he threw his shirt down in front of our dugout. Pretty sure he was very apologetic afterwards also. Impossible not to like Kraay.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I had Hans Kraay as a user name way back. The board was re reformatted in the early forties and I didn't rejoin for some reason. On coming back, the name had understandably gone. Hence The Real Hans Kraay. But happy to share the great man with anyone. Pleased to see he is remembered so fondly. Lovely bloke.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
This thread is turning into Sparticus!

How long before someone says "I am Hans Kraay and so is my wife"?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My favourite Hans moments were when he scored the winner at Meadow Lane against Notts County, and went disco mental in front of us, and the legendary Grimsby away game a couple of weeks later.

At the time the Albion had a remote chance of promotion, but had to win at Blundell Park to keep their hopes alive, with only one game remaining, at home to Sheffield United, to come. The Albion were frankly rubbish for the first 78 minutes, the players seemed disinterested, apart from Hans, who was running around like a lunatic, shouting at anyone and everything, trying to referee the game, and generally being a whirling dervish.

12 minutes to go, 2-0 down, and Hans scrambles one in, grabs the ball, marches back to the centre circle, and starts screaming at his teammates, and we then score three more (Biley, Connor 2) to win 4-2.

After the match we take a major kicking from the locals, but for once it was worth it, marvelous scenes for 12 minutes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My favourite Hans moments were when he scored the winner at Meadow Lane against Notts County, and went disco mental in front of us, and the legendary Grimsby away game a couple of weeks later.

At the time the Albion had a remote chance of promotion, but had to win at Blundell Park to keep their hopes alive, with only one game remaining, at home to Sheffield United, to come. The Albion were frankly rubbish for the first 78 minutes, the players seemed disinterested, apart from Hans, who was running around like a lunatic, shouting at anyone and everything, trying to referee the game, and generally being a whirling dervish.

12 minutes to go, 2-0 down, and Hans scrambles one in, grabs the ball, marches back to the centre circle, and starts screaming at his teammates, and we then score three more (Biley, Connor 2) to win 4-2.

After the match we take a major kicking from the locals, but for once it was worth it, marvelous scenes for 12 minutes.

That is an amazing story.

Biley SCORED? Are you SURE!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here