Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handing in found money

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
:facepalm:

I provided a simple statement without complicating matters so that the OP could know that Sainsbury's were well within their rights here. What is also relevant is where on private property the money is found. If money was found in the street the OP would have a better right to claim. I have provided further details in subsequent posts. How do I know? I found myself in a similar position when I found some money in a university and asked my property law teacher what my rights were, who outlined similar to what I have. In any case I handed the money in and was told that if the money was not claimed the university (who had the better right to claim) would give the money to charity.

I think you are trying to explain the correct thing but you are just not making a great job of it. I find with legal matters it's best to be as straight forward as you can possibly be as often as you can. Here being a clear example of complicating things so much you have got confused. What we would refer to in legal vernacular as "Tripping over your own head". Always good to have a stab at it though, I applaud you for that.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
This is funny.
It has to be less than £5 as in the change tray.....
What a load of effort for a few pounds.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I think you are trying to explain the correct thing but you are just not making a great job of it. I find with legal matters it's best to be as straight forward as you can possibly be as often as you can. Here being a clear example of complicating things so much you have got confused. What we would refer to in legal vernacular as "Tripping over your own head". Always good to have a stab at it though, I applaud you for that.

Comical stuff. My original post said that in this case Sainsbury's were well within their rights since the money was found on private property, which is true. You have now backtracked on 'not in the slightest bit true' and admitted that where the property is found is relevant to the claim. Now that this matter is settled I forgive you and will leave the thread. Good day.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Comical stuff. My original post said that in this case Sainsbury's were well within their rights since the money was found on private property, which is true. You have now backtracked on 'not in the slightest bit true' and admitted that where the property is found is relevant to the claim. Now that this matter is settled I forgive you and will leave the thread. Good day.

I think yo uneed to re-read your original statement and have a little think. I think it's for the best you pop off now too, I give you a solid 3/10 for effort.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The only time I've ever lost a wallet I expected that if it was returned to me then it would be done so minus the cash inside, and this proved to be accurate.

Regarding the OP, it does come across as being incredibly tight. Presumably, the most it could have been was a tenner?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Went back two months later to see if someone has claimed the money back :) Good bloody grief :) Why bother being that honest if your that worried about it

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
Ok

Sainsburys self scans do not give cash back...........most people going through self scan probably spend between £10 and £20 pound so id guess the money we are talking about is the below £10.........unless the person paying had a rare £50 note

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Right.

Many years ago in a pub in Ferring I think,I found a fiver in the urinal.

I piddled on it,picked it soggy out of the tray,washed it,dried it under the hand drier,went back into the bar and drank the proceeds of my find,shared with my quizz team.

Strange to say,this is a true story.

Last edited:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I stopped in the services at Pease Pottage recently on the way to a saturday game,,and dropped my wallet, I did not realise it until I tried to pay for food In Portslade.

Quick call to pease pottage, they called me back within a few minutes and said it was found in the toilets, got it back complete with cards and cash, they would not tell me who found it, apart from it was given to a cleaner....

thanks whoever u are........its not the cash its the hassle of cancelling all cards, trade cards, membership cards etc......lucky the season tickets were in the wifes bag!

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Found a $50 note in the sand at a beach in Australia, We set up our towels where I found it and we spent about 4/5 hours there, no one came back looking so I took it. More recently I found a wallet with £60, a student card, bank card and Oyster card at a bus stop, I went into the Police station and handed it in the next day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here