Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handing in found money

DanielT

Many years ago, on a wet day in Hackney I opened my car door and saw £100 in the gutter. Within 10 minutes I had dried the notes with the car heater on full blast and put them straight in my wallet. In this situation finders keepers

You worked for it!

Big amounts... Fine, hand it in. But where's the line? A pound or less is pocketed by most I would think.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
If it was in the change bit, surely it was less than a fiver? Keep it, treat yourself to 4 tins / 10 fags. Life's too short to be THAT honest.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Found $400 malaysian dollars on a train in a wallet when going to Panang in 1959...a fortune then...I was going on leave for a fortnight....I had $32 dollars for my leave...I found an ID card in there, it belonged to an RAF sergeant...I tracked him down and gave him his wallet...he just put it in his pocket and carried on talking to his mate without as much as a thank you. 4 years ago found a purse with £42 in it,it had a Co-op card in there so I handed it into the shop...never heard what happened to it....but what made everything seem worthwhile I found a purse belonging to an old age pensioner,the grand amount of £4.87p...I found her in a shop and gave it to her...she was so grateful that she said she would buy me some sweets....bless her...those toffees were great....(joking)....it was so nice to get a thank you and made it all seem honesty is the best policy.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It depends where the money is found. Since it was found in Sainsbury's (private property) it is theirs and they are entitled to do whatever they want to do with it.

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
Over the years I have lost a fair few quid through losing wallets, money dropping out of my pocket when drunk or just through carelessness - never got a penny of it back! If I find money it goes in my pocket - finders keepers and all that! :thumbsup: The only time I would ever give it back was if I physically saw the person drop it and could locate them straight away.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I dropped a wallet with a few hundred quid it on the tube. I was a student at the time and the money was my rent.

An elderly gentlemen found it and handed it to the nearest tube station.

Never forgotten that.

So if ever find money I hand it in. My previous find I mentioned, I went to the local Police station and the copper admitted he would have to check the procedure since in all his time in London no.one had ever handed him lost and found money.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It is not Sainsbury's money to donate to charity so why have they?

You seem to forget that it's not yours either.

Frankly it comes across as quite mean-spirited that you're even asking the question.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I can't believe you'd actually go back to claim it, I'm surprised she didn't just take it in the first place

She didn't specifically go back for it, she was in there and asked in passing.

Box of frogs

Your favourite charity....are you having a laugh?

No, I generally only give to Cancer charities (and REMF)

If it was in the change bit, surely it was less than a fiver? Keep it, treat yourself to 4 tins / 10 fags. Life's too short to be THAT honest.

Not in the coin change bit, the note change bit.

She was honest enough to hand it in as she thought it may have belonged to someone who could not have afforded to lose it. Her conscience is clear.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I remember, when on the dole some many years back, cycling soggily home on the wettest of days, and as i went, spotted a sodden twenty pound note in the middle of a very busy four-way crossroads. Being broke, i came to a halt and sprinted across the road to snatch the note from the middle of its pond. Back home i went, dried for a couple of hours, and bought a huge pizza and a small bottle of vodka and ten Bensons. A thorough dose of good luck in a time of brokeness. I was delighted.

Isn't the tale of the OP's referring to not being rewarded at all for an act of goodness? It has to be said it was only a rather small act of kindness though, so maybe a cream egg was due, but little else.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Many years ago, on a wet day in Hackney I opened my car door and saw £100 in the gutter. Within 10 minutes I had dried the notes with the car heater on full blast and put them straight in my wallet. In this situation finders keepers

In a strange way I rather liked that little anecdote, i can almost picture you doing that, made me chuckle a lot.
Many years ago I found a wallet with £70 in it, there was I.d or anything else inside to say who's it was, just cash. So I treated my mates all night, beers and kebabs were on me. I told my then girlfriend, now wife about it and she was so angry at me for not handing it into the police she almost dumped me. Looking back I wished I had handed it in, but we did have a bloody good evening :)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This is the situation.

A couple of months back, my wife was in Sainsburys queuing up at one of those self service till things. The customer in front of her finished dealing with her shopping and my wife therefore went to the now vacant till. While she was putting her shopping through she noticed that the previous customer had left some of her change in the bit where the notes are dispensed so, being the good citizen, she handed the money over to the customer service counter when she had finished her shopping, explaining where she had found it.

She was told by the girl on customer services that if the person whose money it was did not come and claim it within the next two months, then my wife was entitled to claim it. So she left her name and number and waited.

Today she went back in to Sainsburys and asked after the money. She was told (by the same girl that had originally seen her) that any unclaimed monies were given to charity! My wife reminded the girl of the original conversation and the girl conceded that she did recall that conversation but that she had been unsure of whether what she had told her was right. She now knew it to be wrong! She said she would have to get her manager to call my wife tomorrow morning.

So, wise sages of NSC, what are our rights to the unclaimed cash? We are not talking about a large sum so it is more a point of principle. If she had handed the money in to the Police, they would have handed it to her if it was unclaimed wouldn't they. It is not Sainsbury's money to donate to charity so why have they?

I obviously wasn't thetre at any time so cannot comment to a large degree. However, going on what you have written and bearing in mind the degree of detail you have provided I can only suggest forgetting about it and getting on with your ****ing life.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It depends where the money is found. Since it was found in Sainsbury's (private property) it is theirs and they are entitled to do whatever they want to do with it.

Not in the slightest bit true.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i remember when i was in a tesco queue,i put my hand in my pocket to get my keys out as they had my clubcard on. I had a note in the same pocket, this was the only money i had on me as i rushed out the door and didnt have my wallet. When it came to pay for my shopping i couldnt find my money. I then saw a girl of about 4 or 5 pick the money up from the floor just in front of me. She looked quizically at me and i said thankyou very much for finding my money and she gave me said note. Her dad then looked at me like i spat at her! what did he expect me to do?! i brought that money, and needed that money to pay for my bloody shopping! w*nker!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here