Votes: 28 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Personally, I have never been convinced by the leverage argument. Players can jump without using their arms, often seen when in warm up routines of central defenders waiting to come on or the game to kick off. Duffy always did this air-heading routine. The leveraging with arms is often to get the better of an opponent.
Definitely possible, whether you achieve as much height may be more contentious, still in terms of penalties, if your arms are out, you’re giving the ref/VAR a decision to make.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Definitely possible, whether you achieve as much height may be more contentious, still in terms of penalties, if your arms are out, you’re giving the ref/VAR a decision to make.
True.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Does the pope wear a funny hat? Do bears shit in the woods? The correct decision stares you in the face.

Awarding a penalty would give a clear advantage to Chelsea, who are the new Palace.

Conclusion: no penalty.

DaveTurner

Jul 17, 2011
Never a Penalty, anyone who’s ever played the game knows that. It’s not natural to jump with your arms by your side. These wannabe rock star officials need to sort it quick.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I don't think anyone can say for sure what is or isn't a handball anymore. I'm sure there would be an argument that the ball was going quickly at him from point blank range, and you can't expect defenders to not use their arms for leverage when challenging.

Seems what is or isn't a foul anymore also isn't clear. For example, how was Sanchez wiping out Jesus yesterday not a foul, yet the PGMOL 'apologised' for Onana doing the same thing and going unpunished in the first game of the season against Wolves? Commentators didn't even mention it.

The 'laws' are a bloody mess.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Jumping without arms out....

Attachments

• shane duffy.jpeg
    shane duffy.jpeg
    620.3 KB · Views: 24

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Personally, I have never been convinced by the leverage argument. Players can jump without using their arms, often seen when in warm up routines of central defenders waiting to come on or the game to kick off. Duffy always did this air-heading routine. The leveraging with arms is often to get the better of an opponent.
It's always felt like a lazy excuse to criticise refereeing decisions, to me. Yes, you might be able to get more height using your arms, but not by sticking them out sideways and leaving them there. Pulling your arms downward, either with a swimming motion, or like milking a giant cow (best way I can think to describe it) can potentially give you more height in your jump. Sticking them out like you're pretending to be an airplane doesn't help.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
It's always felt like a lazy excuse to criticise refereeing decisions, to me. Yes, you might be able to get more height using your arms, but not by sticking them out sideways and leaving them there. Pulling your arms downward, either with a swimming motion, or like milking a giant cow (best way I can think to describe it) can potentially give you more height in your jump. Sticking them out like you're pretending to be an airplane doesn't help.
Can we hear more about the giant cow please?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I know it’s all different now but the Keane one wa a good example where the old adage ‘it was ball to hand, not hand to ball’ served us well for decades. Sure his hand wasn’t in the best position but the ball was drilled at it with no chance to react.

The handball law now is a complete mess.
But then that could become a defensive tactic ... standing with arms out wide (making yourself bigger).

For me, the Keane incident was a definite pen but Saliba never a pen. Mudryk's header was going wide and out of play so Chelsea have benefited enormously.

Browncow155

Jan 28, 2020
I recon they should make it ....

Deliberate Handball - Pen

Accidental Handball (Shot on target) - Pen (unless hands in body line or by side - then no Pen)

Accidental Handball (Shot off target or cross etc) - Indirect FK

Would make it pretty clear cut and would bring back those lovely 10 yard indirect FK's we don't see much of anymore.

Var would just have to tell if it was going in.. similar to own goal awards or not

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But then that could become a defensive tactic ... standing with arms out wide (making yourself bigger).

For me, the Keane incident was a definite pen but Saliba never a pen. Mudryk's header was going wide and out of play so Chelsea have benefited enormously.
Somehow the sport coped for the last 40-50 years I can remember without that being seen as much of a problem. Then they gave a bunch of pedants all the power.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here