Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammond

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Hammond would be a great squad player in the PL.

Agree he would be a great team member if his performances this season are repeated but we have to get there first and of course he still has a year left on his contract with Southampton hopefully they do not recall him and he's happy to continue his future with us come on Dean you really should not have been allowed to leave us in the first place, stay and enjoy the brilliant times ahead you are our prodigal son.SEAGULLS

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Because they knew at the end of last season that he didn't have sufficient quality, hence they allowed him to join us on a season long loan.
The local paper in Southampton had loads of comments in the early part of the Season regarding Rodriguez and how he wasn't good enough for The PL. Now he's one of the first names on the teamsheet. Who's to say if Hammond had been given a chance he could proved Adkins wrong.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The local paper in Southampton had loads of comments in the early part of the Season regarding Rodriguez and how he wasn't good enough for The PL. Now he's one of the first names on the teamsheet. Who's to say if Hammond had been given a chance he could proved Adkins wrong.

Well that's right, it's all subjective and just a matter of opinion, but having watched Dean Hammond in both his previous spell at Albion, and again this season, I just can't seem him being able to make the step up, and be a success in the Premier League.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!

Come ON people. He's clearly not up to PL standards. Have you not been watching?! He's done a job for us in the CHAMPIONSHIP but if he was a PL player then he'd be there by now at his age. Sorry, a committed team player but not for the PL.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Disagree he would be a good signing if we don't get promoted but if we do I think that he may struggle but would make a good squad player to come in when needed.
This.

Hammond was brought in to do a job at this level and he has done excellent. If we go up then i fully expect us to sign a much better players than Hammond for the Prem.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I think we see the best of him when he's played in a more central, holding role like yesterday. Seems more at ease and can control the tempo of the game at times. Often when he starts alongside Bridcutt, and we play a more narrow formation, he's often required to take up wide positions and support the full-back (same tactical instructions that are given to Dicker quite regularly) which clearly isn't his game and can expose his lack of pace/any genuine attacking ability.

Been very pleased with his contribution in recent weeks, though, it has to be said.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't see Hammond as the cultured Euro who flicks with delight, but in recent games he has been extraordinary in his workrate and kickassness. There have been times when he's covered the pitch, box to box and in every corner, and of course some of those mean that he doesn't really fully know what to do when he's there as he's not the drop the shoulder and embarrass a defender type of player, but his running himself into the ground has made a real difference to the team as a whole. Has been a godsend in terms of being an excellent partner to Bridders and i could see him being a good squad player in the Premier League who might face a challenge for a place if we made it and had some bucks to spend on wages alone. He had the battle-off with Crofts this season for his place and he won that hands down so i wouldn't write him off.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Southampton obviously thought he wasn't up to playing in the Prem - that's why they lent him out. We'll just have to see who we can get in, and who goes out - that is all, of course, IF we get promoted!

Dec 29, 2011
I don't see Hammond as the cultured Euro who flicks with delight, but in recent games he has been extraordinary in his workrate and kickassness. There have been times when he's covered the pitch, box to box and in every corner, and of course some of those mean that he doesn't really fully know what to do when he's there as he's not the drop the shoulder and embarrass a defender type of player, but his running himself into the ground has made a real difference to the team as a whole. Has been a godsend in terms of being an excellent partner to Bridders and i could see him being a good squad player in the Premier League who might face a challenge for a place if we made it and had some bucks to spend on wages alone. He had the battle-off with Crofts this season for his place and he won that hands down so i wouldn't write him off.

I agree, he brings an element few of the other players have. Similarly to Barnes and Bridcutt, he has unbelievable stamina and doesn't shy away from a physical confrontation. I'll also add Crofts has been a huge disappointment this season :)

Feb 3, 2013
It seems like Southampton have done sow good business with us, if we don't sign him, he's gonna go back there a much better player and could easily be sold for a lot than he was worth at the beginning of the season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here