Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammond - Would you want him back?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If Crofty can find his form we won't need him.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Unless there's a replacement of a similar physical stature absolutely. His physical presence was very important to the side last season. A lesson learnt in the first season back at this level, would be a shame not to learn from that.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
I prefer Crofts to Hammond, as long as he is given free rein to get forward. GP played them as centre-circle patrollers, which Hammond probably is more than Crofts. Swerve Hammond and get a young buck in from the DS or elsewhere :)

The problem with this is that when we first got into the championship we played games where Liam B got roughed up like Watford away, and we need someone alongside him particularly away, and who can cope with the physical factor. Crofts wasn't great last year.

I did wish though that given the opposition team we had not picked Hammond and been more attacking on that disastrous Monday night.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The problem with this is that when we first got into the championship we played games where Liam B got roughed up like Watford away, and we need someone alongside him particularly away, and who can cope with the physical factor. Crofts wasn't great last year.

I did wish though that given the opposition team we had not picked Hammond and been more attacking on that disastrous Monday night.

I wish Hammond had put that header away at Selhurst.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Crofts was struggling with injuries last season and we never saw the best out of him. I think this year will be like a new signing and will have a new lease of life.

Deanamo would be worth picking up but I don't think he would play anywhere near the amount of games he did last year

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Solid so would take on a free and on Champ wages but he may think himself better than that. Consider him an upgrade on Dicker and suppose on Crofts but think we're aiming to attract someone special and have the youngsters back up Bridders+1special and then the attacking mids.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Crofts on form is more the type we need alongside Bridders I think...... but it's a big if. He'd need a run like Hammond got in the side. Still think there's a better box-to-box mid in budget though

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Meh.

A big yes from me. I'd actually prefer him in the defensive midfield spot to Bridcutt, as he is more commanding physically and actually gets forward supporting attacking play better. Yes he's slower but that makes up for that with more progressive passing and better runs towards the opposition box. It's too often forgotten that Hammomd was the backbone of a team that won the league we are competing in. Would be a really good signing and like El Abd I think the ex-youth products do add something extra to the team in terms of their passion

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
'I'd actually prefer him in the defensive midfield spot to Bridcutt..'

I literally cannot believe what I've just read. Good night.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I would much prefer Hammond to Crofts given the choice and based on last seasons performances

People seem to forget that Andrew Crofts was hampered by injury almost throughout last season, so on the few occasions he got to play he was never at his best. But whilst admitting that both Hammond and Crofts are both competent performers at Championship level, l feel if we still have promotion in mind this coming season, we could do better by looking elsewhere.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
No, not this. He improved towards the end of the season, yes. But we should not lose perspective. The missed header at Selhurst still hurts, alot.

D

Deleted member 2719

If Crofty can find his form we won't need him.

That if is a big if.

Dean is a leader and is great to have in certain situations and i believe could be even better under an attack minded manager.
Oh and he is Brighton, so a big yes for me.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'd keep him on the short list and would be happy if we ended up signing him as a fairly reliable option - we need some players to do the heavy lifting in defensive midfield.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A big yes from me. I'd actually prefer him in the defensive midfield spot to Bridcutt, as he is more commanding physically and actually gets forward supporting attacking play better. Yes he's slower but that makes up for that with more progressive passing and better runs towards the opposition box. It's too often forgotten that Hammomd was the backbone of a team that won the league we are competing in. Would be a really good signing and like El Abd I think the ex-youth products do add something extra to the team in terms of their passion

Welcome back!

Yes I would have him back in a heartbeat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here