Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammond - how do you feel about him now?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I think a lot of the negative opinion on him is because of Bridcutt's ability as (In my eyes) the best defensive midfielder in the league. A lot of people therefore think because he's not on the same level, he's shit. That's not true.

One of those players that most teams in this division have in midfield, who won't set the world alight technically (like Vicente), but is a pretty consistent battler in the middle of the park, and will very rarely grab the headlines. Burnley have Dean Marney doing the same thing, Middlesbrough have Bailey, Hogg/Eustace for Watford, and so on.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Nice to see that unlike CMS or Barnes he doesn't polarise opinion. Can I assume that I'm right then that the physical presence he gives us has given Bridcutt the freedom to express himself? FWIW I'd like to see him signed permanently.

Gus is building team for the future and so for me he should go back to the Scummers at the end of the season as he isn't good enough if we wish to push on. As has been mentioned previously, he doesn't have the speed of thought that the other players have and this tends to slow down play, also he is very slow and one paced, which if I am honest is a surprise as I always thought he was pretty nippy around the pitch. From what I can gather from associates who support the Scummers, these were the same 'faults' that meant he lost his place towards the tail end of last season. I prefer Dicker or Crofts to Hammond. Dicker because he thinks a lot faster and Crofts as he breaks up play a lot more than Hammond. When he was first with us Hammond would tackle anything (regardless of if they had the ball), nowadays he seems to stand off. This may be instructions from Gus but I suspect not.

I like a lot of people were not particularly happy when he rejoined us over the Withdean incident, however that doesn't really come into it. Unfortunately he's just not good enough for a team that aspires to the premier league. To be fair he's not on his own in this.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
You asked for my opinion - I think he's our worst player. Very slow (feet and brain), caught in possession, can't tackle, just not for me. Rather see Dicker replace him, and I'm not a massive fan of him either.
And I was there "that night" at Withdean, and for me it was all forgotten the following day, so I have nothing against Hammond, I just don't think he's good enough.

Sums it up for me.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It's odd - the write up's I have seen about him the last few games have been complimentary, but I don't rate him at all.

Looking at last night alone - it was a miracle that his sloppy mistakes didn't lead to them scoring at least 2 goals.

Very much this. I have never liked him, and was pleased when he went. In my opinion he is very lazy, slow and as has been highlighted, prone to sloppy mistakes. I really cannot believe we could not find someone better than him on loan.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
I wasn't keen on him, there's just something about his shuffling running style that i find annoying. For me he's an now an integral member of the midfield, he dovetails perfectly with Bridcutt.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
I think he is doing a solid job. Shame for Crofts though - he was starting to find his feet before the injury problems. Not convinced the two can play together with Bridcutt in the team as well - just not creative enough. With Bridders out, Hammo and Crofts not 100% we could see a spectacularly attacking line up on Saturday with Lopez, Orlandi, Vicente and buckers in midfield :drool:

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Dont rate him, he is far to slow, always has his back to goal and never looks forward. For me he is one of the weak links in the side.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I think he has been a good, solid, if unspectacular signing. Last season we were outmuscled in midfield countless times and I feel he addresses that issue.

Of course we would prefer a player with more footballing ability, say Trotter for instance, but how much would he have cost?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I rate his as "better than nothing" but if we have the chance of bringing someone else in better over the Summer then we should, but if he's the only affordable option available to us then he will do.

Clearly in the unlikely event we get promoted he should be sacked off.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
Just seen his backpass from last night. Oh dear.

Funny but for me that wasnt a backpass - I thought he shinned it straight to Kuzsack with no intention of backpass - it just looked like that when it was simply poor control and, I thought, a little bit of a stumble just before the point of contact.

Anyway - just how I saw it and may be wrong.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Happy he is here - does a lot of the donkey work that goes unnoticed ie chasing and harrying when the opposition have the ball. I have been pleased with his commitment and as someone said earlier, he seems please to be back. Is he better than Crofts? Tricky as Crofts seems to have been injured since coming back and hasn't set the league on fire himself either. Of the two, I am happier having Hammond in the team than Crofts at the moment.

Would I sign him permanently? Depends where we finish at the end of the season, but certainly wouldn't rule it out at this stage.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Funny but for me that wasnt a backpass - I thought he shinned it straight to Kuzsack with no intention of backpass - it just looked like that when it was simply poor control and, I thought, a little bit of a stumble just before the point of contact.

Anyway - just how I saw it and may be wrong.

Well that makes more sense as that backpass looked destined for a Christmas football bloopers DVD.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He's EXACTLY the same type of player he was when he left: Solid and unspectacular, keeps things ticking over, can disappear and make mistakes. A 6 or 7 out of 10 player. For me though in recent games he's been improving. I'd like us to sign him in July.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Blimey a thread not only about football but also the Albion!

People have divided opinions but no one has resorted to calling anyone names or repeating the same thing they've said on 52 other threads already.

I've enjoyed reading this whilst eating my Doritos.

Well done to everyone involved!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Does a job as a player. Nice to have a bit of height but no as good as Crofts offensively and not as good as Dicker defensively.

My judgement clouded as I haven't really forgiven him yet.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
At one point the stream froze with Hammond in the picture. It took me five mins to realise it was real time.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
It's odd - the write up's I have seen about him the last few games have been complimentary, but I don't rate him at all.

Looking at last night alone - it was a miracle that his sloppy mistakes didn't lead to them scoring at least 2 goals.

This.

At one point the stream froze with Hammond in the picture. It took me five mins to realise it was real time.

:lolol::moo:

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
What annoyed me more was his reaction to the pass. He just looked away as if he hadn't a care in the world he just passed to an opposition striker 5 yards from goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here