[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Realistically, the most likely institution which could carry the weight to influence Israel outside the US is the EU

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Come on chaps - this is supposed to be a decent and civil thread on a serious subject.

You don't have to have the last word, get the final dig in. Just resist, don't reply and (virtually) walk away.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Surprise, Surprise everyoneā€¦

letā€™s call this for what it is, Genocide, an unacceptable offer that will be rejected and is unworkable. This is ultimately a land grab and engineered removal of Palestinian people from Gaza.

ā€œA multi-national force would take charge of rebuilding the territory after the widespread destruction caused by Israeli bombingā€ - who exactly is expected to pay for the reconstruction? I bet itā€™s not Isreal

ā€œSome far right-wing members of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government have said that Palestinian citizens should be encouraged to leave Gaza for exile, with the reestablishment of Jewish settlements in the territory - controversial proposals that have been rejected as "extremist" and "unworkable" by other countries in the region and by some of Israel's alliesā€

ā€œWhile Mr Galant's proposals may be regarded as more practical than those suggested by some of his cabinet colleagues, they are likely to be rejected by Palestinian leaders who say that Gazans themselves must be allowed to take full control of running the territory once this devastating war is overā€

ā€œMr Netanyahu has not publicly talked in any detail about how he thinks Gaza should be governedā€ - probably because he wants full control either by proxy or displacement.

Israel outlines its plans for Gaza after war https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67888794

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Surprise, Surprise everyoneā€¦
Yes, and apologies for the long post in responding but your excellent points deserve more than just ā€˜likesā€™ or ā€˜soundbiteā€™ responses.

It is becoming more blatant that this was always the agenda with Netanyahuā€™s Likud Party - as I said in a previous post, the Massacre just gave the Religious Zionists the chutzpah to overtly pursue it. The UK and US have absolutely known about this for years. I posted months ago that the Israeli Ambassador to the UK, Netananyahu, the Likud Party, (and later Trump) to name a few protagonists in the Palestinian question have been very open about their plan for a Greater Israel since before 1990s - The last peace plan put forward by the US (Trump) awarded 30% of the Occupied West Bank to the Israelis and for the first time ever, had no commitment to a two stage solution but suggested an Israeli-run Palestinian administration (even less than is afforded now).
letā€™s call this for what it is, Genocide and an unacceptable offer that will be rejected and is unworkable that is ultimately a land grab and engineered removal of Palestinian people from Gaza.
That is exactly why Gazans did not want to evacuate in the early days of the war (why Hamas refused to accept large scale deplacement of civillans from the North or to Egypt) - an evacuation with no right of return is an eviction.

As it is, 1.9 million Gazans are internally displaced now in Gaza and completely reliant on the UN refugee camps and ā€˜safeā€™ UN-protected havens that continue to be bombed in explicit violation of international law. According to Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor, ā€Israel is determined to carry out the forcible displacement of civilians in the Gaza Strip, beyond the bounds of international law. Even more concerning, the rights organisation said, is that Israel has granted itself permission to target and designate as ā€œterroristsā€ those who defy its appalling evacuation order.ā€

Again as I highlighted several weeks ago, anyone charged with terrorism (which includes demonstrations, leafleting or anything that is seen to be ā€˜anti-Israelā€™ can be given the death penalty under proposed new laws.). As also previously mentioned - Under other new laws, foreign journalists can be now expelled and shut down in Israel by even printing stories that could be seen as ā€˜anti+Israelā€™ - in Gaza they are just shot.

It is fascism pure and simple - anyone who thinks that the Israeli Government is a westernised democratic one needs to think again. There have been ultra-nationalists influencing the development of the State of Israel since its creation and now they now have Israel in their grip in a way that threatens to destabilise the whole of the ME. (See article below)

The only hope is that the Israeli people vote out Netanyahu and elect the Labour opposition party ASAP - but that would mean trying getting rid of a Prime Minister desperate to hang onto power to avoid criminal convictions for corruption who is a master at manipulating popular opinion . Netanyahu and Trump are easy bedfellows.

ā€œA multi-national force would take charge of rebuilding the territory after the widespread destruction caused by Israeli bombingā€ - who exactly is expected to pay for the reconstruction? I bet itā€™s not Isreal
Yes and no - Israel will pay for it if she gets to keep it basically - However, in the interests of finding a longterm peaceful settlement, there will need to be some kind of multi-national administration (including UN peacekeepers) - again as previously noted, it will need the complete compliance of Egypt/Jordanian/Saudi and Turkey etc but especially the Palestinian people if there is to be any hope of a lasting ceasefire. The rebuild as with all regions devastated by war will also need to be an international effort that will require contributions under a ā€˜Marshall-typeā€™ plan. That wonā€™t be without problems though as any major investment in Gaza by the West will be treated with suspicion by the ā€˜axis of resistanceā€™ countries and seen as further proof of annexation/ā€˜invasionā€™ of the traditional territories of Palestine.
ā€œSome far right-wing members of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government have said that Palestinian citizens should be encouraged to leave Gaza for exile, with the reestablishment of Jewish settlements in the territory - controversial proposals that have been rejected as "extremist" and "unworkable" by other countries in the region and by some of Israel's alliesā€

Again the Religious Zionists and members of the Lukid Party have been saying this for years. You may (or may not!) remember an article I posted months ago that Netanyahu has stated he would not accept an international force but plans to keep an IDF presence there to prevent Hamas from carrying out resurgent activities (in contradiction to his oft stated justification for the death of thousands of innocent civilians and for no ceasefire until Hamas is destroyed/ā€˜wiped off the face of the earthā€™ ) - it was widely reported in MSM at the time ..

This article is well worth at least a cursory glance which gives a simple background to the extremist elements of Israel governance

There needs to be an immediate arms embargo to Israel, divestment and sanctions - as was discussed above, the UN is one tiger that if you jump off itā€™s back is not going to bite you very hard in the a#rse with its vacuous resolutions and moral declarations.

I donā€™t know what will happen now, I fear we have reached a tipping point in East West relations - I do know only that the Israel government seems intent on radicalising the whole of the Muslim world with blatant genocidal policies against the Palestine people just to prove a self-fulling prophecy that Israel is hated by her Arab neighbours..

Is it any wonder?

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, and apologies for the long post in responding but your excellent points deserve more than just ā€˜likesā€™ or ā€˜soundbiteā€™ responses.

It is becoming more blatant that this was always the agenda with Netanyahuā€™s Likud Party - as I said in a previous post, the Massacre just gave the Religious Zionists the chutzpah to overtly pursue it. The UK and US have absolutely known about this for years. I posted months ago that the Israeli Ambassador to the UK, Netananyahu, the Likud Party, (and later Trump) to name a few protagonists in the Palestinian question have been very open about their plan for a Greater Israel since before 1990s - The last peace plan put forward by the US (Trump) awarded 30% of the Occupied West Bank to the Israelis and for the first time ever, had no commitment to a two stage solution but suggested an Israeli-run Palestinian administration (even less than is afforded now).

That is exactly why Gazans did not want to evacuate in the early days of the war (why Hamas refused to accept large scale deplacement of civillans from the North or to Egypt) - an evacuation with no right of return is an eviction.

As it is, 1.9 million Gazans are internally displaced now in Gaza and completely reliant on the UN refugee camps and ā€˜safeā€™ UN-protected havens that continue to be bombed in explicit violation of international law. According to Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor, ā€Israel is determined to carry out the forcible displacement of civilians in the Gaza Strip, beyond the bounds of international law. Even more concerning, the rights organisation said, is that Israel has granted itself permission to target and designate as ā€œterroristsā€ those who defy its appalling evacuation order.ā€

Again as I highlighted several weeks ago, anyone charged with terrorism (which includes demonstrations, leafleting or anything that is seen to be ā€˜anti-Israelā€™ can be given the death penalty under proposed new laws.). As also previously mentioned - Under other new laws, foreign journalists can be now expelled and shut down in Israel by even printing stories that could be seen as ā€˜anti+Israelā€™ - in Gaza they are just shot.

It is fascism pure and simple - anyone who thinks that the Israeli Government is a westernised democratic one needs to think again. There have been ultra-nationalists influencing the development of the Stare of Israel since its creation and now they now have Israel in their grip in a way that threatens to destabilise the whole of the ME. (See article below)

The only hope is that the Israeli people vote out Netanyahu and elect the Labour opposition party ASAP - but that would mean trying getting rid of a Prime Minister desperate to hang onto power to avoid criminal convictions for corruption who is a master at manipulating popular opinion . Netanyahu and Trump are easy bedfellows.

Yes and no - Israel will pay for it if she gets to keep it basically - However, in the interests of finding a longterm peaceful settlement, there will need to be some kind of multi-national administration (including UN peacekeepers) - again as previously noted, it will need the complete compliance of Egypt/Jordanian/Saudi and Turkey etc but especially the Palestinian people if there is to be any hope of a lasting ceasefire. The rebuild as with all regions devastated by war will also need to be an international effort that will require contributions under a ā€˜Marshall-typeā€™ plan. That wonā€™t be without problems though as any major investment in Gaza by the West will be treated with suspicion by the ā€˜axis of resistanceā€™ countries and seen as further proof of annexation/ā€˜invasionā€™ of the traditional territories of Palestine.

Again the Religious Zionists and members of the Lukid Party have been saying this for years. You may (or may not!) remember an article I posted months ago that Netanyahu has stated he would not accept an international force but plans to keep an IDF presence there to prevent Hamas from carrying out resurgent activities (in contradiction to his oft stated justification for the death of thousands of innocent civilians and for no ceasefire until Hamas is destroyed/ā€˜wiped off the face of the earthā€™ ) - it was widely reported in MSM at the time ..

This article is well worth at least a cursory glance which gives a simple background to the extremist elements of Israel governance

I donā€™t know what will happen now, I fear we have reached a tipping point in East West relations - I do know only that the Israel government seems intent on radicalising the whole of the Muslim world with blatant genocidal policies against the Palestine people just to prove a self-fulling prophecy that Israel is hated by her Arab neighbours..

Is it any wonder?

That's so concerning. When is the next Israeli presidential election? It seems that voting out Bibi is the only thing that will stop all this.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That's so concerning. When is the next Israeli presidential election? It seems that voting out Bibi is the only thing that will stop all this.
There was a GE in November 2022 so it would have to be by a vote of no confidence by his own Party and snap election I think as the next elections arenā€™t due until 2026 - Netanyahu survived a vonc last May in response to his judicial reforms so that wouldnā€™t be a foregone conclusion - Support for Netanyahu has crashed however since the Massacre - partly because of his ā€˜security failureā€™ and more so as the war continues because of the failure to negotiate a release of the hostages - also a foreboding that he will continue with his deeply unpopular judicial reforms once the war is over . The majority of Israeliā€™s do not want him in power or any of the extremist Lukidites but there are moderate Lukids that could potentially topple him as could mass demonstrations and strikes ... Gantz is becoming by far the most likely contender in a power grab:

Deeper background may appeal to your political interests

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
@Harry Wilson's tackle kindly don't react to any more of my posts and put me on ignore. Hopefully a moderator can assist in this @Guinness Boy @hans kraay fan club
It would be easier if you just put Harry on ignore if his posts bother you so much (Iā€™m sure he wouldnā€™t mind) rather than making a public OT appeal for the mods to control other peopleā€™s input on this thread because you donā€™t like the content. I donā€™t think you can select who does or doesnā€™t respond to your posts - it doesnā€™t work like that.

Try not to get sidelined - your contributions are very valid imo as are Harryā€™s (when you are both staying OT šŸ™‚ )

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
@Harry Wilson's tackle kindly don't react to any more of my posts and put me on ignore. Hopefully a moderator can assist in this @Guinness Boy @hans kraay fan club
I'm afraid that's not how this forum works. No user can force another user not to reply to their posts, nor force them to put you on ignore. A mod shouldn't, imo, enable such a request either (though I see that I do have the ability to force him to ignore you).

Instead, I'd suggest that you ignore any user whose posts you don't wish to see. If you don't know how to do that, I can force you to ignore him if you wish.

@Guinness Boy @hans kraay fan club FYI

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
It would be easier if you just put Harry on ignore if his posts bother you so much (Iā€™m sure he wouldnā€™t mind) rather than trying to use the mods to control other peopleā€™s input. I donā€™t think you can select who does or doesnā€™t respond to your posts - it doesnā€™t work like that.

Stay focussed on the topic and try not to be sidelined - your contributions are very valid imo. šŸ‘
Not at all he's free to post, I have just requested politely that he doesn't react to my posts and that he puts me on ignore. I haven't put anyone on ignore on this site and don't really intend to. Harry is free to contribute and I hope my request can be respected whether with assistance or not.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not at all he's free to post, I have just requested politely that he doesn't react to my posts and that he puts me on ignore. I haven't put anyone on ignore on this site and don't really intend to. Harry is free to contribute and I hope my request can be respected whether with assistance or not.
Anything you choose to put on an open forum is open to a response from others. If you donā€™t want to see those responses, you can put other members on ignore. Itā€™s either that, or donā€™t post in the first place if you canā€™t handle the reaction :shrug:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Ok I misunderstood - I thought you were wanting to control the responses to your posts by making them ā€˜invisibleā€™ to another poster so they donā€™t respond to them šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Seriously, I have received enough nasty reactions to my posts on this thread to want to put a number of people on ignore but for me that would be like trying to have a debate in facebook echo chamber where only your friends can engage with you. Iā€™m only saying this as someone vested in the thread topic but no doubt youā€™ll end up getting a bit of a pile on now - just skip over it and carry on contributing.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Ok I misunderstood - I thought you were wanting to control the responses to your posts by making them ā€˜invisibleā€™ to another poster so they donā€™t respond to them šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Seriously, I have received enough nasty reactions to my posts on this thread to want to put a number of people on ignore but for me that would be like trying to have a debate in facebook echo chamber where only your friends can engage with you. Iā€™m only saying this as someone vested in the thread topic but no doubt youā€™ll end up getting a bit of a pile on now - just skip over it and carry on contributing.
Yep, just a polite request, not much I can do if its not respected, thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports