Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think I'm looking for any political football nor would I applaud it. Maybe just some sanctions that could send a different message. I'm not comfortable with the UK profiting from this situation, as it does from other conflicts.

South Africa has made its own move with its application to ICJ of Israel being in breach of the Genocide Convention, which SA has been castigated for by IsraeI in return. Anything "drastic" like that is obviously not looking likely to ever be considered here.

But by example something such as Zarah Sultana has called for ie suspending our own arms trade with Israel, I'm unsure whether that would or should be seen as standing against Israel and America or more opting out with neutrality. It would all be in the diplomacy. Israel may respond with similar accusations to those againt South Africa.

"On a wider note, how could we stop Israel, if we decided we must do so? They are immune to threats. War, then? Invade Israel? As old Bushy used to say, 'genuine question'."

genuine answer. I'm not suggesting we go to war with Israel.

You have given your own experiences & thanks.
Very thoughtful reply. Many thanks :thumbsup:

Maybe, like a kaleidoscope, the picture will change suddenly, in ways I can't anticipate. I'm not wired for diplomacy, unfortunately.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Agreed.

I haven't posted on this thread for many weeks because I got fed up of the personal attacks, conducted...

- via PM direct to me
- via people registering numerous new NSC accounts, day after day, with abusive usernames
- via the Argus comments section
- via creating rogue accounts on social media and targeting me with attempted phishing in order to obtain my contact details
- via a current standing Brighton & Hove councillor directly threatening me by way of "official" email

All of this coming from those of a pro-Israel persuasion who repeatedly accused me of being a Hamas-sympathiser and/or being anti-semitic because I questioned the indiscriminate killing of thousands of people conducted by the Israel state, and others were saying the same on a website I happen to own.

It's perfectly possible to have utter disdain for both Hamas and their actions as well as those responsible for the daily slaughter conducted in Gaza. it's perfectly possible to wish for peace for those living in Israel, Jews who reside elsewhere in the world and the innocent Palestinians who wish no ill on Israel and just want to get on with their lives free of oppression and fear.
Very difficult time for you Bozza and your reaction is magnanimous.
Perfect synopsis.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
The idea was to prevent Abbas — or anyone else in the Palestinian Authority’s West Bank government — from advancing toward the establishment of a Palestinian state.
Absolutely this.

There's a lot of twaddle on here about the Palestinians being the obstacle to a peaceful solution, when anyone with an objective viewpoint and a cursory understanding of international relations will tell you that Israel is the barrier. After almost 80 years of oppression the Palestinians are desperate for a chance to just exist.

You only have to look the voting record on UN resolution 242.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is heartbreaking to read.

It has long since been a suspicion that accusations of anti semitism following any criticism of Israel was a tactic to silence said criticism.

Now we have the site owner and moderator reticent to post and a poster who has taught many others so much about this conflict advised to post less. Let's be clear as well none of these people have posted anything approaching pro Hamas content. Rather moderate and balanced criticism of a requiem that continues their assault.

If the end game of this mob is to silence any opposition (no matter how moderate) then they have surely succeeded.

Job done I suppose.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

It has long since been a suspicion that accusations of anti semitism following any criticism of Israel was a tactic to silence said criticism.

Now we have the site owner and moderator reticent to post and a poster who has taught many others so much about this conflict advised to post less. Let's be clear as well none of these people have posted anything approaching pro Hamas content. Rather moderate and balanced criticism of a requiem that continues their assault.

If the end game of this mob is to silence any opposition (no matter how moderate) then they have surely succeeded.

Job done I suppose.
I should be more clear.

Zeberdi is free to post what he wants, when he wants and I’ll defend that until I’m removed from here.

I’m pointing out that multiple posts that are long and fully referenced are excellent, but probably more suited to further education than a football board. They can wind people up and many won’t have the time to read and digest as they should be,

As for the rest, you’re sadly correct.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I should be more clear.

Zeberdi is free to post what he wants, when he wants and I’ll defend that until I’m removed from here.

I’m pointing out that multiple posts that are long and fully referenced are excellent, but probably more suited to further education than a football board. They can wind people up and many won’t have the time to read and digest as they should be,

You are right to point that out but in this case I don't think it is the length of his post that is causing the problem.

I wasn't having a go and you, Bozza or NsC btw. Just an observation of a sad state of affairs. I am gutted that you guys are having to deal with all of this.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Job done I suppose.
And those who have highlighted their belief that such a tactic exists have also been accused of antisemitism, and of using tropes. I really could not give a flying fxxk about those accusations (as I have stated before, ‘I am happy with my conscience and viewpoint‘) but it would be great that when and if those accusations are thrown around like confetti that we all learn to treat them with the necessary suspicion.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I’m pointing out that multiple posts that are long and fully referenced are excellent, but probably more suited to further education than a football board. They can wind people up and many won’t have the time to read and digest as they should be.
And therefore I cannot read any of their long, informative posts then?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I should be more clear.

I don't agree with you on this one mate. I've really felt that I'm learning something when reading @Zeberdi entries here. If his referenced and clearly humanitarian posts wind people up it is they who need to look at themselves and why their issue with experienced and educated reason is a problem. In my own view, those are the only posts worth reading as they give clarity without any clear bias. A forum where folk can learn is a forum I enjoy. Better than arguing blindly.

The main reason for this is that many, if not most, other posts are not as well informed. I don't drop by the thread very often now, but if I do it is to settle in on one of Zeberdi's long reads.

What I find quite distressing is Bozza's post. There is clear evidence that the accusation of racism against Jews has now been weaponised as indeed we have come to expect of the media and at a more micro level on boards such as these. I subscribe to The Telegraph for just £14 a year. I do so for the sport. I wouldn't do it for the main body of news as it is a summary of what I have indicated here. I wonder if any news outlet is truly independent anymore. That's why it's good to see that folk are rallying against such coverage.

In expressing my concern about the actions of Israel I have been accused of being racist myself. I don't really care anymore because the term has lost its meaning. My only frustration is that some folk cannot see life from a humanitarian perspective but are subject to the prejudices they have long been indoctrinated by. We see it hear, we see it everywhere. A post truth world. It's a shame that so many folk have lost their integrity.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
And therefore I cannot read any of their long, informative posts then?
Of course you can, but again you’re diverting from the thread topic to a micro discussion.

Read one of the posts I quoted this morning.

Also think of the board as a whole. Do you want it to be enormous amounts of very long posts from one person?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't agree with you on this one mate. I've really felt that I'm learning something when reading @Zeberdi entries here. If his referenced and clearly humanitarian posts wind people up it is they who need to look at themselves and why their issue with experienced and educated reason is a problem. In my own view, those are the only posts worth reading as they give clarity without any clear bias. A forum where folk can learn is a forum I enjoy. Better than arguing blindly.

The main reason for this is that many, if not most, other posts are not as well informed. I don't drop by the thread very often now, but if I do it is to settle in on one of Zeberdi's long reads.

What I find quite distressing is Bozza's post. There is clear evidence that the accusation of racism against Jews has now been weaponised as indeed we have come to expect of the media and at a more micro level on boards such as these. I subscribe to The Telegraph for just £14 a year. I do so for the sport. I wouldn't do it for the main body of news as it is a summary of what I have indicated here. I wonder if any news outlet is truly independent anymore. That's why it's good to see that folk are rallying against such coverage.

In expressing my concern about the actions of Israel I have been accused of being racist myself. I don't really care anymore because the term has lost its meaning. My only frustration is that some folk cannot see life from a humanitarian perspective but are subject to the prejudices they have long been indoctrinated by. We see it hear, we see it everywhere. A post truth world. It's a shame that so many folk have lost their integrity.
Brilliant post :bowdown:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

We have to consider the board as a whole. I’ve tried to be subtle and not call people out but, since you’ve raised it, Zeberdi is posting at a rate of 284 posts a month since he joined, and was knocked out ill for some of that time. That’s a higher rate than I can see for any other poster.

This board is for everyone, not just for those with time to burn.

That said, he’s been one of the best voices on this thread. We’ll not be stopping that, hopefully.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Lost for words on all of it. It's clearly a genocide at this point and the west or UN don't be doing much to stop it.
That's not lost for words, that's telling the truth.

It's a defence of Israels ongoing actions that seems to be lost for words for the moment, on here at least.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I should be more clear.

One of the most bizarre moderating opinions I've seen on here. You're wanting to dumb things down? Also, much too controlling imo. I would prefer to let Zeberdi be Zeberdi. He's also in no way similar to the Swedish bloke thankfully now gone who was continually being rude and on a wind up, which is not his style. But perhaps just have a quiet word re the amount he posts if it bothers the moderators so.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
One of the most bizarre moderating opinions I've seen on here. You're wanting to dumb things down? Also, much too controlling imo. I would prefer to let Zeberdi be Zeberdi. He's also in no way similar to the Swedish bloke thankfully now gone who was continually being rude and on a wind up, which is not his style. But perhaps just have a quiet word re the amount he posts if it bothers the moderators so.
You’ve misunderstood, probably wilfully.

Can you imagine an NSC where every post was several paragraphs with multiple source references? Or where every thread had the same user as the majority poster?

As a mod, my duty is to the majority of the users and to help Bozza maintain the NSC culture that you either get or don’t.

That culture, however, includes the fact that the writing on here can be better than any other football board in the country.

It’s about careful balance.

Reactions: cjd

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We have to consider the board as a whole. I’ve tried to be subtle and not call people out but, since you’ve raised it, Zeberdi is posting at a rate of 284 posts a month since he joined, and was knocked out ill for some of that time. That’s a higher rate than I can see for any other poster.

This board is for everyone, not just for those with time to burn.

That said, he’s been one of the best voices on this thread. We’ll not be stopping that, hopefully.
Bizzare train of thought. Why does the number, or indeed length, of Zeberdi's post matter a jot ? It's the content that counts and I for one appreciate his postings. He's not offensive - even when some posters, who I won't name, have been offensive towards him.

Anyway, enough of dragging this thread off topic - let's get back to discussing the awful situation of murder by both Hamas and Israel in an informative and adult way.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Bizzare train of thought. Why does the number, or indeed length, of Zeberdi's post matter a jot ? It's the content that counts and I for one appreciate his postings. He's not offensive - even when some posters, who I won't name, have been offensive towards him.

Anyway, enough of dragging this thread off topic - let's get back to discussing the awful situation of murder by both Hamas and Israel in an informative and adult way.
Yet you’ve just dragged it off topic again to make a point I answered before your post.

But yes, crack on. This isn’t the thread for me, I’ve no desire to be on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here