[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think the difference of opinion primarily comes down to one point...

- How far should Israel be able to go in order to eradicate Hamas?

Those with strong connections to Israel largely seem to believe that the loss of human life, whilst regrettable, is necessary in order to neutralise Hamas. Short-term pain for long-term gain if you will.

Those who don't have the same ties to Israel look at the huge loss of life happening and largely think "This can't be right".
I agree with everything you said in your earlier post but on this point, I feel that we need to be careful of generalising too much about those who have ‘strong connections to Israel’ even when using the word ‘largely’ to allow for exceptions - I doubt anyone is too interested in this point and I know I am a minority Jewish POV here but having ‘strong connections to Israel’ shouldn’t be seen by anyone to be mutually exclusive of criticising Netanyahu’s response to 10/7 imo.

20% of of Israeli citizens are Palestinian/arab so they certainly wouldn’t hold that view despite having strong ties which obviously goes without saying, I know, but I think clarification on who we mean by having ‘strong connections’ is helpful as is getting a feel for how supportive of Netanyahu those with ‘strong ties to Israel’ actually are:

Suggesting that those with such strong ties’ are supportive of the way Netanyahu is responding to 10/7 is unfair to possibly millions of Jews worldwide, who may now think, 3 weeks after the Hamas attack, Netanyahu has gone too far and are saying to themselves at least, ‘This can’t be right’! I don’t know how many members of the public that is any more than I know how many believe Netanyahu has it right, that is impossibly unverifiable but I do know that people with strong ties to Israel are very diverse in their thinking (apart from governments and businesses whose ties are a separate issue) and they don’t just live in Israel.

There are 15 million Jews in the world (with less than half of those living in Israel) who have a strong physical or emotional connection with Israel as being ‘home’ for the Jews

I and my family, for example, have a strong connection to Israel, not just through familial ties to people living in Israel but with many relatives in the States too who have a strong emotional connection to Israel who are actually quietly horrified and ashamed at what Netanyahu is doing in their name as am I and other Jews, including a significant part of the Jewish public in Israel - but they are still trying to deal with the initial trauma too and it is very difficult for most people to be very outwardly magnanimous and compassionate towards those they perceive to have wounded and terrorised them deeply - at least in the immediate aftermath.

I am hoping therefore, that there is not an a priori suggestion here that being Jewish (which often gives rise to that strong connection for Jews living outside Israel too) or even just being an Israeli citizen, is enough to presume a blind support of Netanyahu’s policies and renders one unable see what is happening in Gaza as inhumane, disproportionate or unnecessary or, if that is not the case, then it must mean that a Jewish person’s or other familial ‘ties’ to Israel are thus not very deep? That accusation was already unfairly directed at me by two NSCers who are no longer ‘here’ - I care for Israel as a State and her all her people but I also care passionately that the Government that professes to represent Israelis is committing what I can only describe as ‘genocide’ on a vulnerable people already subjected to 7 decades of inhumane Occupation.

- Netanyahu is highly unpopular in Israel (partly because of his theocratic reforms to the Judiciary but partly because if his failure to ‘protect Israel’ and more latterly, his disastrous war on Hamas - it is largely his government and the extremist Religious Zionists that is driving the agenda in Gaza and publicly claiming that the ends justify the means but I tend not to watch the news so maybe others see it differently … groups of Jews in Israel and all over the world are slowly beginning to protest against this war and they are even being arrested for it but they can not be blamed for coming to that point later than others:

I personally don’t think anyone should confuse the expression of trauma by Jewish people, especially living in Israel, but as a whole too and still reeling from the attack on 7/10, as being conflated with support for Netanyahu’s continued bombardment of Gazan civilians - not anyway at least just because they often are seen to be resisting a growing non-Jewish support for Palestinians in Gaza on social media. Pro-Palestinian support on social media and in demonstrations has been at times seen by some Jews in the media as hurtful in that it often does not also at the same time articulate and affirm the heinous nature of Hamas’s attacks on them - pro-Palestinian support has not articulated very well an empathy with the renewed sense of vulnerability felt by Jewish people everywhere as a consequence of Hamas’ attack on Israeli soil so there is a sense of betrayal too.

Likewise, I believe it would be naive to underestimate the depth of antagonism and hatred of Palestinians among far right extremist Zionists in Israel, especially those in positions of power, nor should we underestimate the hatred of Palestinians towards Jews after years of living under Occupation. We certainly shouldn’t be incognisant to the Palestinian authorities in Gaza now referring to civilians being killed as ‘martyrs’ on MSM - If Hamas began a programme in 2007 with the intention of radicalising the population of Gaza, Netanyhau will certainly finish the job for them if he hasn’t already.

This article probably highlights better than most what I am trying so say and does it far better …

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Absolutely agree - things could rapidly escalate- other from tit for tat or from ‘accidental’ incidents... I think the US had a presence in the Red Sea from very early on because of potential attacks on Israel from Iran/backed terrorist groups in Yemen ( they’ve already been directly involved in bringing down missiles / again see above)
1698857566969.jpeg
Sorry to quote myself but the map is useful

This is a concerning escalation that seems to be slipping in under the radar while the focus is on Hamas in Gaza - concerning because it is also bringing US forces increasingly into the conflict arena

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I don't think they do, well most of them anyway, and I've thought about this a lot over the last week as the attacks from a previous NSCer went on and on.

I think most people will agree on all of this...

- The Israel population deserve to live in peace, free of the threat of rampaging terrorists and rocket attacks
- More widely, Jewish people everywhere deserve to live a life without suffering antisemitism
- Palestinians deserve to live in peace, with freedom and opportunity.
- Hamas need to be removed for the benefit of all concerned

I think the difference of opinion primarily comes down to one point...

- How far should Israel be able to go in order to eradicate Hamas?

Those with strong connections to Israel largely seem to believe that the loss of human life, whilst regrettable, is necessary in order to neutralise Hamas. Short-term pain for long-term gain if you will.

Those who don't have the same ties to Israel look at the huge loss of life happening and largely think "This can't be right".
Well said, I cannot disagree (y)

We all want peace for the innocent Israelis and Palestinians, but what is the best solution to achieve this? Is there even a possible solution?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Well said, I cannot disagree (y)

We all want peace for the innocent Israelis and Palestinians, but what is the best solution to achieve this? Is there even a possible solution?
Surely not with the unsubstantiated suggestion though that most a people with a strong connection to Israel thinks killing 50 children and adults for one terrorist is all right!?

Im sorry but I find that offensive as someone with those strong ties - I honestly thought this thread had moved on from this kind of stereotyping but clearly not - and it’s upsetting that this is apparently the majority opinion on here 😡

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Surely not with the unsubstantiated suggestion though that most a people with a strong connection to Israel thinks killing 50 children and adults for one terrorist is all right!?

Im sorry but I find that offensive as someone with those strong ties - I honestly thought this thread had moved on from this kind of stereotyping but clearly not - and it’s upsetting that this is apparently the majority opinion on here 😡
Have you been offended by what I said?

borat

Jul 16, 2003

My experience is that there are varied views amongst the Jewish community. Unfortunately the media and UK/US politics are less tolerant of those that differ from unequivocal support of Israel and I see them branded as the "wrong type of Jew", not a real Jew" etc etc

Again only my experience and what I read and see online - Right wing orientated Jews tend to support Israel much more heavily whilst left wing Jews are more sympathetic to the Palestinian occupation and will protest etc.

They have no obligation to to do so just because they are Jewish but they lend their voice and support as they do with other human rights causes. There is a long history of leftist Jewish solidarity with global causes that don't affect them directly.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I've now had a chance to read sections of those articles. Although I was aware of the sympathetic view of many Christians toward Zionism (hope I'm using the right words here...) I was totally unaware of this key central tenet relating to a supposed second coming.
Very interesting, and thanks for the heads-up 👍.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Have you been offended by what I said?
No - sorry - it was just you were agreeing to a post that I also largely agreed with but contained a comment that I did find offensive as a Jewish person with strong ties to Israel - it was being suggested that someone like myself ( as part of those people that have strong ties to Israel) supported Netanyahu’s policy position that 50 innocent Palestinians children and adults is worth killing for 1 terrorist - I find that abhorrent along with everything else that innocent Gazans are being subjected to in Gaza) and so would all the members of my family, I can’t speak for Jews I don’t know them all pets so don’t know what they believe and I won’t because the diversity of Jewish/Israeli opinion is huge. I had posted an explanation why I found that so upsetting just before you posted but felt it had been ignored - it’s deeply personal I guess.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No - sorry - it was just you were agreeing to a post that I also largely agreed with but contained a comment that I did find offensive as a Jewish person with strong ties to Israel - it was being suggested that someone like myself ( as part of those people that have strong ties to Israel) supported Netanyahu’s policy position that 50 innocent Palestinians children and adults is worth killing for 1 terrorist - I find that abhorrent along with everything else that innocent Gazans are being subjected to in Gaza) and so would all the members of my family, I can’t speak for Jews I don’t know them all pets so don’t know what they believe and I won’t because the diversity of Jewish/Israeli opinion is huge. I had posted an explanation why I found that so upsetting just before you posted but felt it had been ignored - it’s deeply personal I guess.
I think that most people left on this thread (Thanks Mods :wink:) are very much from the moderate area of the discussion. We will still have disagreements, (sometimes vehemently in my case) but I think we are all on the same side and looking to achieve the same thing - a long lasting peace :thumbsup:

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I'm sorry that you have been offended. I had agreed with the majority of @Bozza's post but, mistakenly, I did not read that sentence thoroughly.
I do not "support" and never have "supported" Netanyahu's policy position that fifty innocent Palestinians is worth killing for one terrorist, nor do I believe that all those who have strong connections with Israel feel this way.
I understand your comment completely, this was an accident on my behalf and I should have addressed this previously. I'm sorry.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think that most people left on this thread (Thanks Mods :thumbsup:) are very much from the moderate area of the discussion. We will still have disagreements, but I think we are all looking to achieve the same thing - a long lasting peace :thumbsup:
That wasn’t my point - I have issues of it being implied that I and my family (and any other Jewish person/family members supports Netanyahu‘s disgraceful policy in Gaza because we have strong connections and ties to Israel. That is what was said:

“Those with strong connections to Israel largely seem to believe that the loss of human life, whilst regrettable, is necessary in order to neutralise Hamas. Short-term pain for long-term gain if you will”

while

“Those who don't have the same ties to Israel look at the huge loss of life happening and largely think "This can't be right".

You can NOT say that of millions of Jews around the world who have very strong connections to the State of Israel as I do - it’s offensive to suggest that by virtue of those ties we believe that the loss of life of millions of innocent Gazans are acceptable while everyone else ( the righteous presumably) can see that it’s not right what is happening to the Gazan people - its offensive - period.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I do not "support" and never have "supported" Netanyahu's policy position that fifty innocent Palestinians is worth killing for one terrorist, nor do I believe that all those who have strong connections with Israel feel this way.
I understand your comment completely, this was an accident on my behalf and I should have addressed this previously, I'm sorry.
Sorry - I was not suggesting you did 😍 - the implicit suggestion in bozza’s post that you quoted was that I did because of my strong ties to Israel

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Sorry - I was not suggesting you did 😍 - the implicit suggestion in bozza’s post that you quoted was that I did because of my strong ties to Israel
No problem, I did find your post (#2,624) about the comment, an informative read - like all the rest (y)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I would hope it was quite obvious that I have severe concerns about Israel's current strategy for two broad reasons...

- They are killing untold thousands of innocent people.
- When Iarael's campaign is over, there'll be people remaining who have seen utter devastation in Gaza, and that is sure to be a breeding ground for more anti-Israel radicalism.

I did initially use the word "neutralise" instead of "eradicate". Regardless, I don't see Israel's approach as one likely to lead to long-term peace, and it's causing a lot of short-term misery.
The Israel government keep repeating their desire to eliminate Hamas, its what the bulk of the Israeli public want to hear.

This is impossible. Even if achieved the extreme desperation, suffering and resentment left behind will create a new Hamas, this is blindingly obvious.

Doesn't feel like there is any real plan at all.

And what is going to pay to rebuild Gaza?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The Israel government keep repeating their desire to eliminate Hamas, its what the bulk of the Israeli public want to hear.
Yes, of course the Israeli public -( and I’m assuming you just mean the 76% Jewish population rather than the 20% Arab population ?) want Hamas eradicated and were largely supportive of a ground invasion initially - but I think the bulk of the Israel public are no less wise than you or I and are able to see the ‘blinding obvious’ - that anyone else with a modicum of sense can see - that you can not eliminate an ideology and it’s dangerous to try and in Gaza in particular - it will be virtually impossible - a ground invasion where urban warfare is complicated by miles of subterranean hideouts and a maze of tunnels will soon start piling up body bags on the Israeli side - when that happens - Netanyahu’s popularity will drop even lower.

Most Israelis have lost trust in Netanyahu’s ability to protect Israel and are not as far right as the current government would like to go - Bibi’s goals are open ended and extremist Zionist in nature - (and he has a
greater long term aspirations than ’neutralising’ Hamas, or a peaceful 2 state solution) - Israeli public support for him has all but collapsed and there are growing concerns in Israel that he is leading Israel into a devastating conflict for Israelis when what they want is to bring hostages home and Hamas defeated.

Seventy-six percent of the Israeli public is dissatisfied with the government’s performance in the aftermath of Hamas’s attack,

And a ‘growing number also disapprove of prioritizing a military campaign in Gaza over the hostages’ safe return.’

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
That's a very decent summary of my position too.

Over the last three weeks or so, I've learned that I was previously woefully uninformed on the whole situation. I certainly won't pretend to be highly knowledgable now, but I know more than I did. And, like you, I've been left stunned at the way the Israeli forces and settlers seem able to kill at will without fear of retribution. Living where we do, I can't imagine a scenario where people could head over to a nearby village, kill a few people, return home and that is the end of the story. No arrests, no investigation and no consequences for the killers.

But because I can feel empathy towards the plight of the many Palestinians who just wish to be able to live in peace without fear, that doesn't mean I can't feel exactly the same for the people of Israel and, more broadly, Jewish people worldwide, because I absolutely do. It also doesn't mean I support Hamas in any way. I have nothing but contempt for Hamas and the atrocities they are responsible for. The whole region would be better if they didn't exist, although I have no idea how that can be achieved.

Yet, both NSC and me directly has come under attack for being antisemitic even though nothing could be further from the truth. We've permanently banned those who have expressed antisemitism via posts on here.

It really does seem to be the case that those who have unwavering support for Israel don't seem capable of reading and understanding those who may question their government's actions. It absolutely does not mean the author of those questions is antisemitic and wishes any ills upon Israel's people nor the wider Jewish population.
It’s good to see that more people are recognizing the pain Palestinians have been feeling for generations. I’ve supported their cause for two decades now. Hopefully, the more people begin to understand, the closer we’ll all be to a two state solution. This is the ONLY way peace will ever prevail in the region.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It’s good to see that more people are recognizing the pain Palestinians have been feeling for generations. I’ve supported their cause for two decades now. Hopefully, the more people begin to understand, the closer we’ll all be to a two state solution. This is the ONLY way peace will ever prevail in the region.
Israel's idea of a two state solution currently appears to consist of funnelling off the Palestinian population of Gaza into the Sinai Peninsula - irrespective of any views Egypt may have on the matter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports