[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Indirectly (even directly sometimes) - demonstration/public protest and vigils in Countries with parliamentary democracies are a useful litmus test for MPs to gauge public opinion for these issues and thus whether to hold the Government’s foreign policy to account either favourably or negatively - demonstrations in one Country can influence the outcome of a conflict in another (as well as its own) if popular opinion influences the decision as to whether or not a Prime Minister/President agrees to ‘boots on the ground’ for example in a war where the her/his Country’s interests are being threatened. Demonstrations bring the issues more directly into contact with the general public and provide a platform for promoting change which in itself can alleviate suffering when listeners eg donate to international aid groups and other NGOs with relief. Demonstrations attract media attention which in turn informs the electorate through in depth analysis and background reports. Public opinion matters to Politicians. An informed electorate can change the course of history.
a million protesting about Iraq war did not influence Blair

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
a million protesting about Iraq war did not influence Blair
A million protesting about nuclear weapons did not influence Thatcher (I went on that march and learned first hand about how amazing it feels to go on a massive march of solidarity, and how pointless it all is when the other 60 odd million members of society and the government simply ignore it).

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
Get the UN to bang some heads together, stop the massacres, renegotiate just who owns what in the region and get the UN to manage it. The U.K. and UN got it wrong last time - they should have split the whole lot down the middle and recognised each as independent states.
Agree with this. Hoping the two sides would come to this obvious conclusion between themselves has turned out to be wishful thinking.

Unfortunately, we now have Israel ejecting toys from their pram because they don't like the terminology used by the UN. I appreciate it is an emotive issue but to solve it they need to act like grown-ups.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
I don’t want to live in the Middle East or anywhere else.
Maybe go to Gaza and see the 'disruption' there and then decide if you want to complain about a protest in bomb free London.
Pretty crass remark. We’ve already been bombed
Bombs (of the Islamic suicide nature) have been detonated in London and Manchester in recent years, killing scores of innocent people.
I repeat, I don’t want to see any bombing on the streets of our country again.
The glorification of 1400 Jews being slaughtered and blatant acts of anti-semiticsm (racist views to you and me) are not welcome on our streets.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1698243769091.png

Celtic fans will be displaying pro-Palestian banners at tonights game v Atletico https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-67215217

Stay classy

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you feel this way about demonstrations in general? Sorry to go off topic, but are there any protests that have taken place in the last 40 years say that you supported/understood?
Anti-apartheid. Marching against the South African rugby tour of England caused the authorities to call off the South African cricket tour which was due to follow, leading to the sporting isolation of SA and ultimately the end of apartheid. Only played a very small part, obviously, but proud of it.

Edit: sorry - that was 50 years ago. Does it count?

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
So just to clarify here - Israel has told citizens to move from North Gaza to South Gaza - 1.1m of them. South Gaza doesn't have either the space or the resources to accommodate these extra people but I guess that is tough luck. Then Israel decides to bomb these civilians that they ordered to move. You support this ? Certain people won't like this statement but it has echoes of the 1930s and certain ghettos which you'd think, of all countries, Israel might understand.

The International Holocaust Rememberance alliance wouldn't like that statement as it meets their definition of antisemitism

• Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.

As do many of your previous statements ...

Which makes it even more surprising they persecute others and have effectively turned Gaza into todays Nazi ghetto.

The sooner Israel stop stealing land, stop using illegal weapons, adhere to UN resolutions, halt murdering civilians by using excessive force - frankly stop doing to the Palestinians what the Nazi's did to the Jews - the sooner the Palestinians will stop supporting Hamas.

I'd suggest you hunt out the Panaroma documentary about how Palestinians are treated as second class citizens by Israelis even in Israel. And that's before we get on to forcing them out of their homes to install "settlers" into the homes ( like the Nazi's did ) or the creation of a Palestinian ghetto called Gaza ( like the Nazi's did ) and there are other similarities but of course when you have the might of the USA on your side you can do anything you like and get away with it.

Criticising Israel and its actions in Gaza is entirely legitimate but I don't see the need to continually link to the Nazis unless you are deliberately trying to provoke cause offence.

It can be argued that those that make the comparison between the Jewish state and the Nazis and Hitler – who perpetrated the greatest and largest act of antisemitism in world history – have not chosen this comparison innocently or dispassionately. It is a charge that is purposefully directed at Jews in an effort to associate the victims of Nazi crimes with the Nazi perpetrators and serves to diminish the significance and uniqueness of the Holocaust.

To make such a comparison is antisemitic and constitutes blatant hostility toward Jews, Jewish history and the legitimacy of the Jewish State of Israel.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
How would you propose the IDF stop Hamas firing hundreds of rockets a day from Gaza?
Isreali intelligence is more than capable of taking out the Hamas leadership using clandestine operations. For example, they took out the perpetrators/planners of Munich one by one for years after the attacks.

It seems to me, the indiscriminate bombing of Gaza is being driven by nothing more than revenge, and gives them an excuse for yet more land grabs/ethnic cleansing.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
That’s the point, we don’t live in the Middle East or Gaza.

But we as a country are and have always been involved. These maps might give you a clue.

middle_east_1914_english.jpg

sykes_picot_by_FT.png

Then there's our government's unstinting support from Balfour to the present day and the thriving arms trade between the 2 nations. Not to mention the likes of JCB, a quintessentially British firm, being named as complicit in the construction of illegal settlements and the destruction of Palestinian homes.

But yeah, nothing to do with us so we should all roll our eyes and turn over the channel.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
These demonstrations - Israeli or Palestinian - aren't 'informing' anybody about anything. Nor are they a litmus test of public opinion, just groups of people, pro-Israeli or pro-Palestinian, expressing their hatred for the other side, and demonstrating their inability - or unwillingness - to realise that there is guilt, decades of it, on both sides.

Direct action, eg demonstrating or waving banners, leafleting etc does inform people of the issues - I did it myself for years - but it also gives otherwise disenfranchised people a feeling they are being heard - that’s a powerful feeling even if it’s just an illusory form of power - when demonstrations get a large diversity of attendance - families, elderly, students, clergy, etc etc - they actually do provide a snap shot of public opinion too whether people agree with the result or not - and as regards influencing policy, no sane freely government is going to stay in power for very long if they pursue policies that caused deep civil unrest so there is influence. Surely we helped save our Club and bring attention to our need by all the demonstrations and mobilising other forms of direct action?

“Protest is how we protect each other, safeguard our rights, and ensure we can stand up against oppression and injustice.” and rights to protest have already been severely eroded over the past few decades without us relinquishing more out of ignorance or apathy
Oh well that’s ok then to hear Jihad openly being advocated on the streets of UK. Nor do I want to see posters of missing kidnapped children being pulled down.
The message from river to the sea doesn’t need pedants. The message is unequivocall.
Your opinion is yours and mine is nine, I don't want want to see this conflict of either side in the streets of London or anywhere else outside the Middle East in either side.
That’s a big jump from what I was saying and frankly the antithesis of everything I am saying here as is the hyperbolic imagery being conflated with what I said - ’Jihad’ has several connotations and meanings in Islam btw - in any area of which I was unfamiliar, II think I would want to know who was calling it out and what they meant by it before accusing them of supporting Hamas or being a terrorist themself.

The message from river to the sea doesn’t need pedants. The message is unequivocal
Again, this isn’t factually true - you have you own interpretation based on feelings - but objectively ’from the river to the sea’ does not have an agreed understanding of its use or context - calling me a pedant for pointing that not only is misjudged but a cheap shot across the bow - facts matter as do words and their interpretation. The song/chant as I said in a previous post on this thread, was used by Palestinians calling for a homeland years before Israel was even created - so the words in themselves do not advocate the destruction of Isreal - it cant - it pre-dates Israel. -
the majority of Palestinians marching our streets today, they are not singing it because they support terrorists or want to see the destruction of Israel but because it is the song of their forefathers before living under oppression a time when they were free - it encapsulates the spirit of the Palestinian cause. Hamas use it but that’s no reason to suggest because it’s been called for by protestors there have been 300,000 terrorists walking through the streets of London in recent days.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Direct action, eg demonstrating or waving banners, leafleting etc does inform people of the issues - I did it myself for years - but it also gives otherwise disenfranchised people a feeling they are being heard - that’s a powerful feeling even if it’s just an illusory form of power - when demonstrations get a large diversity of attendance - families, elderly, students, clergy, etc etc - they actually do provide a snap shot of public opinion too whether people agree with the result or not - and as regards influencing policy, no sane freely government is going to stay in power for very long if they pursue policies that caused deep civil unrest so there is influence. Surely we helped save our Club and bring attention to our need by all the demonstrations and mobilising other forms of direct action?

“Protest is how we protect each other, safeguard our rights, and ensure we can stand up against oppression and injustice.” and rights to protest have already been severely eroded over the past few decades without us relinquishing more out of ignorance or apathy

That’s a big jump from what I was saying and frankly the antithesis of everything I am saying here as is the hyperbolic imagery being conflated with what I said - ’Jihad’ has several connotations and meanings in Islam btw - in any area of which I was unfamiliar, II think I would want to know who was calling it out and what they meant by it before accusing them of supporting Hamas or being a terrorist themself.

Again, this isn’t factually true - you have you own interpretation based on feelings - but objectively ’from the river to the sea’ does not have an agreed understanding of its use or context - calling me a pedant for pointing that not only is misjudged but a cheap shot across the bow - facts matter as do words and their interpretation. The song/chant as I said in a previous post on this thread, was used by Palestinians calling for a homeland years before Israel was even created - so the words in themselves do not advocate the destruction of Isreal - it cant - it pre-dates Israel. -
the majority of Palestinians marching our streets today, they are not singing it because they support terrorists or want to see the destruction of Israel but because it is the song of their forefathers before living under oppression a time when they were free - it encapsulates the spirit of the Palestinian cause. Hamas use it but that’s no reason to suggest because it’s been called for by protestors there have been 300,000 terrorists walking through the streets of London in recent days.
Protests against the owners of Brighton was justified - a case of good versus bad. And because the cause was just, and unified 92 normally warring tribes, it was actually successful.
To compare it to the current protests - one lot of intransigent hate-fuelled protesters prostating against another mob of intransigent hate-fruelled people - is disingenuoius to say the least. Palestinians versus Israelis is not a case of good versus bad. Neither side is the 'good' side; both have done, and are doing, evil.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The International Holocaust Rememberance alliance wouldn't like that statement as it meets their definition of antisemitism

• Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.

As do many of your previous statements ...

Criticising Israel and its actions in Gaza is entirely legitimate but I don't see the need to continually link to the Nazis unless you are deliberately trying to provoke cause offence.

It can be argued that those that make the comparison between the Jewish state and the Nazis and Hitler – who perpetrated the greatest and largest act of antisemitism in world history – have not chosen this comparison innocently or dispassionately. It is a charge that is purposefully directed at Jews in an effort to associate the victims of Nazi crimes with the Nazi perpetrators and serves to diminish the significance and uniqueness of the Holocaust.

To make such a comparison is antisemitic and constitutes blatant hostility toward Jews, Jewish history and the legitimacy of the Jewish State of Israel.

Comparing any government's actions to those of other governments (past or present) is not anti-Semitic nor racist. I could easily compare the current Israeli government with the Russian government. Johnson's UK government with Trump's USA government. SOME of the actions of the current Israeli government ( a far right government ) against Palestinians do echo those of the Nazi government ( a far right government ) against the Jews. There are similarities.

I'm also VERY careful to say Israeli government not Jewish government. Not once will you see me comparing religions ( IMHO every religion is idiotic but that's another debate ) - Israel for example is made up of Jews, Christians, Muslims and no doubt a number of other religions. So how is me comparing the Israeli government, who I've no doubt these other religions also voted for, anti-Semitic ? Maybe you need to do a flounce like your Dad did. And, just in case one the mods pulls me up for playing the man rather than the ball in that last statement - I don't appreciate being called anti-Semitic when I'm anything but.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Anti-apartheid. Marching against the South African rugby tour of England caused the authorities to call off the South African cricket tour which was due to follow, leading to the sporting isolation of SA and ultimately the end of apartheid. Only played a very small part, obviously, but proud of it.

Edit: sorry - that was 50 years ago. Does it count?
Protests against the owners of Brighton was justified - a case of good versus bad. And because the cause was just, and unified 92 normally warring tribes, it was actually successful.
To compare it to the current protests - one lot of intransigent hate-fuelled protesters prostating against another mob of intransigent hate-fruelled people - is disingenuoius to say the least. Palestinians versus Israelis is not a case of good versus bad. Neither side is the 'good' side; both have done, and are doing, evil.
It would be if the current protests had been characterised by me as being ‘one lot of intransigent hate-filled protesters protesting against another intransigent hate fuelled people” but they had not.

These are your words not mine - I don’t characterise either the Jewish vigils or the Palestinian Peace marches the way you do - I characterise them as peaceful non-violent legitimate protest so have no qualms in affording them the same respect as any other peaceful demonstration .

If we are going down the pothole-filled road of making subjective value judgments of what issues are worthy and which are not, then I would say demonstrations to end terror, war, poverty, Occupation, starvation, human rights abuses, blockades and improving the lives of 4 million Palestinians and 9 million Israelis are more important than demonstrating for a football club (especially if it’s Palace 😉) - but that’s just me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A question I have asked many times.
Many on here understandably after what Hamas did 100% behind Israel.

I haven't read the thread, but generally on NSC I see a lot of empathy for Palestinians and distain at the occupation.

I just don't get how Israel are justifying the occupation. I remember an excuse from years ago that holding some of the territories gave them a better defence against attacks from their neighbours, but that shouldn't require their citizens moving there.

However surely the solution is something other than killing thousands and thounds
I'd like Israel to leave the occupied territories, and I'd like Israel's neighbours to agree that Israel has a right to exist. And I'd like Jodie Comer.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Comparing any government's actions to those of other governments (past or present) is not anti-Semitic nor racist. I could easily compare the current Israeli government with the Russian government. Johnson's UK government with Trump's USA government. SOME of the actions of the current Israeli government ( a far right government ) against Palestinians do echo those of the Nazi government ( a far right government ) against the Jews. There are similarities.

I'm also VERY careful to say Israeli government not Jewish government. Not once will you see me comparing religions ( IMHO every religion is idiotic but that's another debate ) - Israel for example is made up of Jews, Christians, Muslims and no doubt a number of other religions. So how is me comparing the Israeli government, who I've no doubt these other religions also voted for, anti-Semitic ? Maybe you need to do a flounce like your Dad did. And, just in case one the mods pulls me up for playing the man rather than the ball in that last statement - I don't appreciate being called anti-Semitic when I'm anything but.
Exactly - well put - I pretty much said as much at the beginning of all this debate (several times !🙄) - when accused of the same thing - criticising the far-right polices of a government who commits war crimes, human rights abuses and illegally oppresses a whole population of ethnic minority people, is not only not-anti-semitic it is a duty - anyone who misappropriates anti-semitism to make false claims to silence free speech, especially when it is to hold governments for abuse of power, then they should be ashamed imo.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It would be if the current protests had been characterised by me as being ‘one lot of intransigent hate-filled protesters protesting against another intransigent hate fuelled people” but they had not.

These are your words not mine - I don’t characterise either the Jewish vigils or the Palestinian Peace marches the way you do - I characterise them as peaceful non-violent legitimate protest so have no qualms in affording them the same respect as any other peaceful demonstration .

If we are going down the pothole-filled road of making subjective value judgments of what issues are worthy and which are not, then I would say demonstrations to end terror, war, poverty, Occupation, starvation, human rights abuses, blockades and improving the lives of 4 million Palestinians and 9 million Israelis are more important than demonstrating for a football club (especially if it’s Palace 😉) - but that’s just me.
Worthy issues? I don't consider demos staged by those in favour of wiping Israel off the map or obliterating all who support Hamas to be worthy, personally.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Isreali intelligence is more than capable of taking out the Hamas leadership using clandestine operations. For example, they took out the perpetrators/planners of Munich one by one for years after the attacks.

It seems to me, the indiscriminate bombing of Gaza is being driven by nothing more than revenge, and gives them an excuse for yet more land grabs/ethnic cleansing.
That's a very different situation. The Munich planners/perpetrators comprised no more than a dozen or so people in total who were tracked down in various, widely separated countries and killed over a period of 11 years or more. The global leadership of Hamas is in Qatar. The local leadership are embedded in the civilian population in Gaza.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Worthy issues? I don't consider demos staged by those in favour of wiping Israel off the map or obliterating all who support Hamas to be worthy, personally.

The demo in London was organised by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign. Are they in favour of "wiping Israel off the map"?

I genuinely don't know much about them

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

It may seem that way to you but it is much more likely, if not certain, to be bombing targeted at Hamas rocket launchers and command centres. Indiscrimate bombing, however, is exactly what Hamas is doing firing rockets into Israel.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Could you point me to the demos staged by those in favour of wiping Israel off the map? Only demos I've seen have been in favour of a Palestinian state.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports