Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
If Republican terrorists had just slaughtered 1000 plus UK civilians and continually fired rockets at our cities a full scale military response would be on the way ...
And that is exactly why, with the involvement of Hezbollah, backed by Iran, Lebanon and Syria , Israel’s continual bombardment of Gaza threatens to escalate into a regional conflict - escalating responses have to stop somewhere …

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The IRA didn't kill over a thousand civilians in a bombing attack. The IRA's goal was to have a united Ireland, and that has partly been achieved with people in Northern Ireland being able to have an Irish passport and there being free travel between the regions etc. There's also likely to be the option for people in Northern Ireland to vote to join Ireland in the future if that's what they want. Hamas's goal is to remove Israel from the map. That's obviously not something Israel can accept.

Separate from that though, I would like someone from Israel's side to explain why they are occupying parts of Palestine. As long as they're doing that, terrorist groups from Palestine will get sympathy/support.
A question I have asked many times.
Many on here understandably after what Hamas did 100% behind Israel. However surely the solution is something other than killing thousands and thounds

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thanks for the constructive reply. As we know, Hamas use the Palestinian population as human sheilds placing high value targets (weapon stores command posts, rocket launchers, homes of Hamas leadership) in heavily built up areas so targeted strikes still inevitably leads to civilian casualties. I also think comparisons with the IRA are misguided as our response was in relation to a specific type of threat. If Republican terrorists had just slaughtered 1000 plus UK civilians and continually fired rockets at our cities a full scale military response would be on the way ... rightly so.
Very noticeable that you didn't provide a comment on this bit - "The only real long lasting solution is peace talks, giving up of the OPTs and a two state solution."

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
However surely the solution is something other than killing thousands and thounds
And there is - "The only real long lasting solution is peace talks, giving up of the OPTs and a two state solution." - but Israel won't even consider this. If this had been implemented when first discussed between the PA and Israel then the slaughter we've recently seen from Hamas and the ongoing slaughter we're seeing from Israel probably wouldn't be happening. Both sides are too entrenched to achieve this though.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
A good question and one that can’t be fully answered in specifics without being informed of all the facts, understanding context or dialling down some of the hyperbole surrounding the question - no one would suggest Israel is not justified in responding in some way to the heinous and invasive attacks carried by Hamas - it would be insane to think she shouldn’t or wouldn’t but an appropriate response needs to be;

1. proportionate and measured and which considers the human and political cost of any such response
  2. one that avoids the risk of further escalation and/or spilling out into a wider conflict
  3. one that allows for diplomatic dialogue and ceasefire throughout
  4. inclusive of a self-assessment as to whether an amendment of one’s of political stance might help reduce future antagonism or at least form the basis for a longer term peace strategy
  5. conducted with due regard to the Geneva and Hague Conventions on war crimes and protecting civilian populations and in accordance international UN charters.
  6. has a clear and attainable objective, with an exit strategy
In fact everything that does not characterise the current response!

What would be an appropriate Palestinian response to the way Israel is conducting her response to 10/7 !? is the glib comeback to a very loaded question. But we are not playing that silly tit for tat game are we?
To add - what is the appropriate Palestinian response to being subjugated, murdered, harassed and imprisoned over a period of decades.

A useful exercise is to imagine your own street whether it be in Brighton, Portslade, Hove etc subject to those conditions.

How would you feel and what would you do?

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
According to the UN, more than a third of Gaza hospitals are shut due to damage from the war and lack of fuel. The few open hospitals are on the brink of cancelling life-saving treatment as the UN warns fuel runs out tonight. (BBC)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A few broken images in this, but shows the devastation in Gaza.

(Can view once before paywall I think?)

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Another ‘Free Palestine, from river to see and Jihad’ march in London on Saturday.
3 Saturdays on the bounce disruption has been experienced now.
Is this to be expected as the norm from now?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Another ‘Free Palestine, from river to see and Jihad’ march in London on Saturday.

I think you'll find most people feel the importance of events in Israel and Gaza somewhat outweigh some mild disruption in London.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Maybe go to Gaza and see the 'disruption' there and then decide if you want to complain about a protest in bomb free London.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Appropriately targeted killings of Hamas ( like we did to the IRA ) rather than the mass slaughter and starvation of innocent civilians. Maybe Britian should have obliterated Eire to deal with the IRA ? The only real long lasting solution is peace talks, giving up of the OPTs and a two state solution.

Meant to add- by the IDF over the top actions all they are doing is breeding the next generation of Hamas fighters ..... and so the cycle will continue. Remind me who suggests humans are the intelligent race on earth ?
The comparison with the IRA is really not right though is it. Hamas controls the whole of Gaza. The IRA was never governing Northern Ireland. The scale of their killing in one event was nothing like the scale of what we have seen Hamas do in Israel. They planted bombs which killed some people> Hamas effectively invaded a part of Israel killing anyone who got in their way, including children, burning them alive, mutilating their bodies. This was an invasion. The IRA was never that.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I really would like to propose Zeberdi for The NSC Peace Prize, if there was such a thing.

My hat is doffed to you Sir!
As I mentioned before, a huge issue in the Middle East is the half a million ultra-orthodox Jews in Israel who don't work but spend their days in prayer and study. They are primarily the ones advocating for an enlarged Jewish state covering all the land that they were driven from in Old Testament times (I have no idea on the accuracy of their land claim).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think you'll find most people feel the importance of events in Israel and Gaza somewhat outweigh some mild disruption in London.
I think you'll also find that the mild disruption in London does nothing at all to alleviate the suffering in Gaza, or assist in any way to end the crisis, or indeed do anything positive at all.
I also think you'll find that if it did any of these things, it would would get a lot of support from most people.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
FACT CHECK

You are incorrect to refer to the marches as ‘Jihad’ marches - Being ‘Palestinian’ doesn’t conflate with being a ‘Jihad’ - Jihadists are radicalised Islamic fundamentalists who use terror and violence to pursue an ideology (distinct from the Palestine cause for freedom and civil liberties) - the people marching in London are overwhelmingly non-supportive of violence and consist of a wide ethnic diversity of protestors - edit look at these images for example
And the chant is ‘from the river to the sea’ - not ‘from the river to see’

Uninformed opinions fail at the first hurdle in the race to impress.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Seagull58: with all due respect you have your opinion and you seem resolute on that, you may have skin in the game.
I have relatives that were killed by the Nazi war machine in Germany, if I was blinded by hate or not looking at the big picture I’d agree, but I can’t…

I say again two wrongs don’t make a right, peace will never ever ever come to that region with your defence of the Israeli response, which is on no count appropriate. Where should the people leave too ? This is their home…
and if they do they may get bombed on route.
Isreal will take those lands once flattened and those people will never be able to return.
Think about it before you reply, you know that will happen.
displacement of people that have been there for thousands of years is wrong.
who’s land is it ?
Jewish ?
Palestinians ?
Humans ?

it’s just wrong
What part of my "opinion" in the post you quoted above is not factual? I did not express an opinion. I have not said it is justified but stated what is happening and why.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think you'll also find that the mild disruption in London does nothing at all to alleviate the suffering in Gaza, or assist in any way to end the crisis, or indeed do anything positive at all.
I also think you'll find that if it did any of these things, it would would get a lot of support from most people.

All the time our government and opposition give their unwavering support to any and all Israeli military action, I see the point in demonstrations.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
FACT CHECK

You are incorrect to refer to the marches as ‘Jihad’ marches - Being ‘Palestinian’ doesn’t conflate with being a ‘Jihad’ - Jihadists are radicalised Islamic fundamentalists who use terror and violence to pursue an ideology (distinct from the Palestine cause for freedom and civil liberties) - the people marching in London are overwhelmingly non-supportive of violence and consist of a wide ethnic diversity of protestors.

And the chant is ‘from the river to the sea’ - not ‘from the river to see’

Uninformed opinions fail at the first hurdle in the race to impress.
Maybe the poster has confused the chant Jihad with being the same ..the Met of course have told us that this word has many meanings ..although my understanding is that the common association is with terrorism

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As I mentioned before, a huge issue in the Middle East is the half a million ultra-orthodox Jews in Israel who don't work but spend their days in prayer and study. They are primarily the ones advocating for an enlarged Jewish state covering all the land that they were driven from in Old Testament times (I have no idea on the accuracy of their land claim).

Unfortunately, they seem to hold major sway and are backed by their nutjob counterparts in the States.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here