Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Starting to sound like the US is getting cold feet about the Israeli planned invasion. It strikes me that when an invasion happens (I say “when” because sadly I think it is inevitable) then the hostages will be the first casualties, that was part of the Hamas plan expecting this sort of outcome, and I can imagine that would be a bad outcome from the perspective of any western Government with their nationals among those hostages, including ours. The issue I think is Netanyahu has backed himself into a corner on it, and he remains domestically a fundamentally weak leader.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
The absolute grace of hostage Yocheved Lifschitz, 85, a peace activist, turning back at the moment of her release and shaking hands with one of her heavily-armed captors is a stunningly beautiful thing

If there's any hope of peace between them, that image should be the cornerstone of it. Truly remarkable.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
They're still holding her husband & over 200 more. She's hardly going to spit on them
Maybe not, but there was no need to do that, either. We cannot know what is going on in her mind, but I'd rather see it as a constructive gesture, however, others are free to interpret it differently, of course.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I'm sure the IDF will say that Palestinians are collateral damage because Hamas have deliberately located their command centres, rocket launchers and tunnel network in the midst of residential areas so they have human shields. That's why Israel told the civilians to evacuate to the South. It may not be justified or an effective means to bring peace but is is not the bloodthirsty, targeted torture, rape and murder of innocents that Hamas indulged in.
And they also bombed the innocent Palestinians evacuating from North Gaza to the South along the so-called "safe routes".

What is your point here?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Starting to sound like the US is getting cold feet about the Israeli planned invasion. It strikes me that when an invasion happens (I say “when” because sadly I think it is inevitable) then the hostages will be the first casualties, that was part of the Hamas plan expecting this sort of outcome, and I can imagine that would be a bad outcome from the perspective of any western Government with their nationals among those hostages, including ours. The issue I think is Netanyahu has backed himself into a corner on it, and he remains domestically a fundamentally weak leader.
I agree that the hostages will be the first casualties when this happens but Hamas have seriously underestimated the Israeli government and IDF.

I think the Israeli government will pay the price of the hostage’s lives, hundreds or thousands of Israeli armed forces lives and 50k+ Palestinian innocent civilian lives to get the chance to eliminate Hamas for a decade or so. Revenge and vengeance is all they care about now.

An extinct Hamas is surely a good thing but the price seems extraordinarily too high. A virtual guarantee that this struggle will remain for as long as there is religion in the region.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think the Israeli government will pay the price of the hostage’s lives, hundreds or thousands of Israeli armed forces lives and 50k+ Palestinian innocent civilian lives to get the chance to eliminate Hamas for a decade or so. Revenge and vengeance is all they care about now.
SadlynI think you’re right, however whether western Governments are prepared to pay the price of their own civilians lives is another matter, and especially the US

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
SadlynI think you’re right, however whether western Governments are prepared to pay the price of their own civilians lives is another matter, and especially the US
Let’s hope they have enough influence. Those poor, poor hostages held captive in those tunnels. I can’t begin to imagine the horror they are going through. As soon as the IDF start on those tunnels, their fate is in the balance.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
50 years ago. Not exactly recent.
It's been posted several times in this thread already. As recent as 2019 Netanyahu had a policy of supporting Hamas, expressly with the desire to ensure a two state solution doesn't become a possibility.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've lived through the horrific biblical eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth approach.
Can't believe it's currently a ratio of one eye to five. 6 eyes of mainly innocent civilians.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I've lived through the horrific biblical eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth approach.
Can't believe it's currently a ratio of one eye to five. 6 eyes of mainly innocent civilians.
Death ratio 2008-2020, 22 to 1

Israel is not used to losing personnel on this scale

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Guns for the Afghan rebels.

The west armed the mad Islamist Taliban who overthrew Najibullah.

Hindsight is not an effective answer to the law of unintended consequences. But.....facts are facts.

Guns for the Mujahedeen, death squads in Latin America, dictators worldwide. Uncle Sam will get into bed with anyone to maintain hegemony and keep the oil flowing.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
In another matter, that may be of interest - the background of the Israeli Ambassador should make people blink:

So - in the past week:

1. The Israeli Ambassador to the UK, Tzipi Hotovely, has denied that Gaza has an humanitarian problem (perhaps the first step to seeing an ‘humanitarian’ crises in Gaza is seeing the people of Gaza as ‘human’, Ms Hotovely?).
2. She called Hamas, the ‘Nazis‘ - (and yet who’s been keeping whom in one large, services-deprived, impoverished ghetto for the last 18 yrs, Ambassador,? But whatever ….)
3. She has also said that the deaths of 1000s upon 1000s of Palestinian civilians from Israel’s bombardment is the fault of Hamas for committing the atrocities in the first place (the inverse logic of a fundamentalist Religious Zionist of course)
4. She has blamed the lack of water and power in Gaza also on Hamas because ‘they are responsible’ for the people of Gaza (uh, no they’re not Shylock, under the Hague Convention, as the Occupying force, Israel is - “ The occupying power has the duty to ensure that the adequate provision of food and medical supplies is provided, as well as clothing, bedding, means of shelter, other supplies essential to the survival of the civilian population of the occupied territory, and objects necessary for religious worship (GCIV Arts. 55, 58; API Art. 69) - (I’m reading that as ‘not setting up an illegal blockade, or bombing all their mosques or cutting off water and food supplies to 2m people in the hope you can starve them‘ into … I dunno…into what, exactly?).
5. She accused Hamas of committing a war crime by keeping them in Gaza - in a war zone - (where were they going to go, you big doofus, into the Med?- because they surely weren’t getting into Egypt at that point…)

So, in the interest of transparency, I did some digging to see who it is that the UK Israelis have purportedly fighting their corner and who it is that is representing the interests of Israel to the British Government…(and offering advice on all matters Israel on our mainstream media …)
  • Tzipi Hotovely practises orthodox Judaism and is a self-described "religious right-winger" (she is actually a far-right fundamentalist Religious Zionist)
  • 2008, 11 November - Hotovely joined Netanyahu’s far right Likud party
  • 2013 - she joined the government and as Deputy Foreign Minister to Netanyahu, very publicly rejected the concept of Palestinian statehood instead supported an aggressive expansionist policy for Israel, that would eventually annex the entire OPT to Israel https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-hits-back-at-us-settlement-expansion-is-not-the-problem/
  • 2015 - She doubled down on this in a speech to Israeli diplomats on 22 May 2015, rebuffed criticism from the international community regarding settlement policies - She said: "We need to return to the basic truth of our rights to this country.…This land is ours. All of it is ours. We did not come here to apologise for that …”. "It's my dream to see the Israeli flag flying on the Temple Mount." She added at the time and still maintains : "I think it's the centre of Israeli sovereignty, the capital of Israel, the holiest place for the Jewish people" (It is also the holiest place for Christians and one of 3 top holy sites for Muslims too or does that fail to register in your Ultra-Zionist vision, Madam Foreign Minister ? )
  • 2020 - Hotovesly is selected as the Ambassador to the UK (at a time when Netanyahu is announcing plans to annex 30% of the OPT of the West Bank to Israel under the Trump Plan)
  • 800 British Jews protest at her appointment- Rabbis and politicians alike called on the British Government to refuse her appointment to the post because of her far-right views and segregationist stance. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ly-is-chosen-as-next-israeli-ambassador-to-uk
  • 2021 - Jewish students in uproar https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/2...face-of-israel-does-not-defend-free-speech-2/
  • 2022 - ‘Hotovely’s appearance at the London School of Economics (LSE) sparked major controversy. Students protesting her appearance were slammed as anti-Sematic by the mainstream media, senior members of parliament and pro-Israeli groups. An investigation by LSE confirmed that the student had done nothing wrong confirming what many believed at the time that the reaction was feigned to stoke outrage against pro-Palestinian activists.’

So there you have it - The British Ambassador to Israel has, as Netanyahu’s Deputy Foreign Minister, and as Minister of Settlements Affairs, actively pursued policies of a ‘Greater Israel’ through settlement expansion and annexation for the past 10 years, has repeatedly dehumanised and ‘cancel-cultured‘ Palestinians, been frequently accused of racism, not a welcome speaker at our university debating societies, intensely disliked/unpopular with moderate British Jews and is directly representative of the most far-right, fundamentalist government in Israeli history - this Ambassador is not someone you would want anywhere near a ‘peace process’. And yet, the Palestinian Ambassador has been ostracised by our own Foreign Minister, James Cleverly, for accusing Israel of war crimes against civilians.

IMG_0703.jpeg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here