Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Jeremy Bowen on the BBC has suggested that it would be surprising if Hamas/Islamic Jihad had a missile powerful enough to cause the destruction seen.
Unless they were storing other missiles at the hospital.

I think we can be sure Israel didn't deliberately target the hospital. Unless they had another massive intelligence failure, it must have been a misfire from somewhere - unless Hamas did it themselves. Almost nothing can be ruled out.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think we can be sure Israel didn't deliberately target the hospital…….. Almost nothing can be ruled out.
Your first is dubious.

Your second statement is correct.

There is a statement from Israel that they killed many Hamas fighters in the hospital hit. This statement was then deleted. I’m certainly not ruling out that the hospital was deliberately hit by the IDF.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Would seem extremely unlucky (I realise that's a massive understatement) that a Hamas missile accidently hits a hospital, whereas we have been told Hamas are thought to hide in hospitals.

There is now quite a bit of independent analysis that is coming to the conclusion that may well have happened.

Not linking to it, it's easily found. The same volunteers who debunk claimed locations and timings of staged propaganda videos.

I clearly have no personal view either way.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The hospital strike continues to show that this conflict has been mainly influenced by misinformation and mistrust amongst both "sides".
Indeed. The nature of war - especially an unpopular one with so many players and parties involved with competing interests - including Hezbollah btw, they easily have the ordinance/military power to carry out a strike of that magnitude -

Who on earth knows what’s going on out there … whatever is going on it will be an absolute hell for those innocent civilIan’s caught up in it - so idle speculation seems inappropriate tbh so I’ll not say anything else - other than I sincerely hope something can be done for these poor people - If I were a Palestine in any of the 50 or so large refugee camps around the Middle East, and especially those Palestinians in the West Bank I’d be filled with so much hate and sorrow seeing this being done to my people…😢

Interesting paper of today’s date on tunnel warfare:

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That'll be the RUSI think tank founded and still based in London, UK will it?

Thanks, but I think I'll wait for more independent information if that's ok.
It’s a source of information from an ‘expert’ …I merely (as others have done) posted something that seems to be relevant…choose to believe or not doesn’t bother me :)

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Jeremy Bowen on the BBC has suggested that it would be surprising if Hamas/Islamic Jihad had a missile powerful enough to cause the destruction seen.
Hezbollah has

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Unless they were storing other missiles at the hospital.

I think we can be sure Israel didn't deliberately target the hospital. Unless they had another massive intelligence failure, it must have been a misfire from somewhere - unless Hamas did it themselves. Almost nothing can be ruled out.

If the initial rogue Hamas rocket hit other missiles causing a massive explosion, how come there was only one explosion. No secondary explosions at all?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This Israeli colonel on the Today programme is doing his side no favours at all.

I’m no way expert enough to decide who is responsible for the attack but his interview was arrogant, hectoring, bullying and full of lies. That’s no way to get people in your side.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The truth of this must come out.

I agree with Jeremty Bowen when he made the point, in a none to subtle way that Hamas rockets, in the past, have nothing like this sort of firepower.

It could be that they procured a more powerful rocket from Iran or somewhere and misfired it.

But far more plausible to me is that Israel did this

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think we can be sure Israel didn't deliberately target the hospital.
That is clearly what you would LIKE to believe, but no - ‘we’ absolutely can not be ‘sure’ of that at all.

Given the evidence of the last few days - never mind the last few decades - that is at best, a very naive statement.

The time has come for the apologists of Israel’s actions to drop the pretence that either side are the ‘good guys’ in this horrific situation.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There is now quite a bit of independent analysis that is coming to the conclusion that may well have happened.

Not linking to it, it's easily found. The same volunteers who debunk claimed locations and timings of staged propaganda videos.

I clearly have no personal view either way.
I'm getting the impression this is largely being peddled by right wing Israeli sympathisers on Twitter.

But honestly, if this is a Hamas missile falling short, what are the odds it would hit a hospital slap bang in the middle killing thousands of its own people?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That is clearly what you would LIKE to believe, but no - ‘we’ absolutely can not be ‘sure’ of that at all.

Given the evidence of the last few days - never mind the last few decades - that is at best, a very naive statement.

The time has come for the apologists of Israel’s actions to drop the pretence that either side are the ‘good guys’ in this horrific situation.
It will never happen, but wouldn't it be lovely if the Arab world and the US could just take a step back, refuse all arms support - and just let those two absolutely awful governments sort it out themselves?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm getting the impression this is largely being peddled by right wing Israeli sympathisers on Twitter.

But honestly, if this is a Hamas missile falling short, what are the odds it would hit a hospital slap bang in the middle killing thousands of its own people?
Not what I'm reading.

I don't take sides in this conflict, but the now "official" line from the Israeli Government that that a failed missile hit the car park and caused a huge fire appears plausible.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This Israeli colonel on the Today programme is doing his side no favours at all.

I’m no way expert enough to decide who is responsible for the attack but his interview was arrogant, hectoring, bullying and full of lies. That’s no way to get people in your side.
Agreed, but this is nothing new. It's been going on for decades. The standard Likud/Israeli PR machine is just to steamroller through an interview, speak over the interviewer, make accusations, and not give them a chance to speak. Mark Regev is an absolute master at it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The truth of this must come out.

I agree with Jeremty Bowen when he made the point, in a none to subtle way that Hamas rockets, in the past, have nothing like this sort of firepower.

It could be that they procured a more powerful rocket from Iran or somewhere and misfired it.

But far more plausible to me is that Israel did this
the "firepower" is what it looks like and effect, not necessarily a powerful weapon. the Israeli claim is the missile would be full of fuel. it does look like a fire/incedary rather than high explosives, so the story has come consistancy and plausible. there's also the detail, unnecessary if its false story, that the missle came from a different group.

the alternative is an Israeli airstike targetting outside (not a hit on a building) with non-HE missile. thats less plausible.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Agreed, but this is nothing new. It's been going on for decades. The standard Likud/Israeli PR machine is just to steamroller through an interview, speak over the interviewer, make accusations, and not give them a chance to speak. Mark Regev is an absolute master at it.
That was an awful interview, at the end of which I just thought ‘well you guys did it.’

And great to hear Jeremy Bowen tell how the IDF blamed his reports for other governments condemning the attack when in reality their condemnation came out before he filed his reports.

I’d encourage anyone getting back up to speed with what’s going on to listen to Understand Israel and the Palestinians on Radio 4/BBC Sounds.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Not what I'm reading.

I don't take sides in this conflict, but the now "official" line from the Israeli Government that that a failed missile hit the car park and caused a huge fire appears plausible.
Like most others, I assumed that it was a result of an air strike, given what has been happening. But then it all seems so convenient for Hamas. A hospital of all places, perhaps with inflated death toll figures, plus the fact that Biden is visiting today, and they hope he will now put pressure on the Israelis to re-consider invasion plans, as well as gambling on international outrage to further put pressure on the Israeli government. A decision to cancel an invasion would greatly help Hamas to remain intact to a greater extent and thus be all too ready to continue their terrorism. It is indeed hard to think that they would knowingly kill their own to further their aims, regarding the victims as pawns, but it has been widely reported over the years that civilians are being used as human shields, so I would not put anything past such a foul organisation.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Like most others, I assumed that it was a result of an air strike, given what has been happening. But then it all seems so convenient for Hamas. A hospital of all places, perhaps with inflated death toll figures, plus the fact that Biden is visiting today, and they hope he will now put pressure on the Israelis to re-consider invasion plans, as well as gambling on international outrage to further put pressure on the Israeli government. A decision to cancel an invasion would greatly help Hamas to remain intact to a greater extent and thus be all too ready to continue their terrorism. It is indeed hard to think that they would knowingly kill their own to further their aims, regarding the victims as pawns, but it has been widely reported over the years that civilians are being used as human shields, so I would not put anything past such a foul organisation.
Not sure anyone is suggesting it was deliberate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here