Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Creepy Sunak is on his way to Israel 🙄
The danger for him and Biden is if Israel continues to escalate and target civilians their outright backing could start to look like they’re backing the wrong horse and necessitate a climb down. It’s also a danger for others like Starmer but not being the man in charge he has more wriggle room.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The IDF have said Islamic Jihad launched the rocket that took down the hospital. (Does anyone know if they've responded to today's strike on the school?)
Reports that violence has erupted in the West Bank as a result of the hospital.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The danger for him and Biden is if Israel continues to escalate and target civilians their outright backing could start to look like they’re backing the wrong horse and necessitate a climb down. It’s also a danger for others like Starmer but not being the man in charge he has more wriggle room.
I watched Sunak's address to Parliament yesterday afternoon, and a fair-sized number of the questions that followed focused on the protection of the civilian population in Gaza. Those questions came from both sides of the House.

From memory most of his replies merely referenced back to his statement and Israel's right to protect herself, and Israel does have a right to support herself of course.

But if this horrific loss of life in the hospital does turn out to be from Israeli fire - and with Israel seemingly currently denying responsibility - we should wait for confirmation from a credible source - then it's going to be very difficult to just keep parroting out the same line to those questions.

As for Starmer - he's not having the best of times either. Labour seems to be tearing itself apart over his similar stance.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The IDF have posted a video of a malfunctioning rocket fired from Gaza advising that this was the one which caused the explosion. On trouble is they left a date stamp of 2022 on the video. Smoke and mirrors and I doubt we will ever learn the truth

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I watched Sunak's address to Parliament yesterday afternoon, and a fair-sized number of the questions that followed focused on the protection of the civilian population in Gaza. Those questions came from both sides of the House.

From memory most of his replies merely referenced back to his statement and Israel's right to protect herself, and Israel does have a right to support herself of course.

But if this horrific loss of life in the hospital does turn out to be from Israeli fire - and with Israel seemingly currently denying responsibility - we should wait for confirmation from a credible source - then it's going to be very difficult to just keep parroting out the same line to those questions.

As for Starmer - he's not having the best of times either. Labour seems to be tearing itself apart over his similar stance.

Maybe this post would have been better in a Kier Starmer or British politics themed thread rather than a Hamas/Israel one ???

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

This moment probably provides the most vocal Israel backers an off-ramp to something more measured. Whether they choose to take it or not is another matter.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe this post would have been better in a Kier Starmer or British politics themed thread rather than a Hamas/Israel one ???
Absolutely not, no.

It was a direct reply to a post about the reaction towards political leaders and their unwavering support for Israel.

Thanks for the advice though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Starmer has to be seen as the Anti-Corbyn so he has to lean towards being pro Israel or Labour will be accused of being anti semitic again....as for the horrendous incident at the hospital in Gaza...suddenly lots of traction for the suggestion that it was a Hamas rocket that misfired rather than an Israeli strike...if that was a Hamas rocket it is incredible it would have caused that amount of damage and injuries.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
When Russia does the same in Ukraine it's classed as a War crime, why not Israel in Gaza?
On a matter of less importance, but telling nonetheless, Russia also gets a ban from UEFA competitions and from the Eurovision song contest.

Israel however gets to stay in both, and last time I checked Israel isn't even in Europe (nor is Australia for that matter).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The IDF have posted a video of a malfunctioning rocket fired from Gaza advising that this was the one which caused the explosion. On trouble is they left a date stamp of 2022 on the video. Smoke and mirrors and I doubt we will ever learn the truth
I think if they're posting a fake video, we probably do know what the truth is on this one, especially when combined with intelligence that Hamas/Islamic Jihad don't possess weapons with such destructive capability.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This moment probably provides the most vocal Israel backers an off-ramp to something more measured. Whether they choose to take it or not is another matter.
I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Sad
Reactions: A1X

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think if they're posting a fake video, we probably do know what the truth is on this one, especially when combined with intelligence that Hamas/Islamic Jihad don't possess weapons with such destructive capability.
I really do hope it’s Hamas if it is Israel this is very bad

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
suddenly lots of traction for the suggestion that it was a Hamas rocket that misfired rather than an Israeli strike...if that was a Hamas rocket it is incredible it would have caused that amount of damage and injuries.
Much of it seems to be coming from known Israeli propaganda channels, even apart from the time stamp issue the video shows electric lights on in the vicinity, which given Gaza has no power is an impossibility.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
‘’Justin Bronk, a weapons expert at the RUSI think-tank, said the sound of the incoming missile, which was filmed before it hit the hospital, was not typical to the kind of munition used by the Israeli air force.’’

borat

Jul 16, 2003
An IDF digital spokesman claimed the IDF was responsible then deleted it.

If anyone knows the first thing about the history of the IDF - when it comes to the truth they make Boris and Trump appear the epitome of honesty in comparison.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
How many times in the last year have stray Hamas rockets obliterated hospitals within Gaza?

If the answer is zero then Occam’s Razor suggests this is a targeted attack by IDF.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Much of it seems to be coming from known Israeli propaganda channels, even apart from the time stamp issue the video shows electric lights on in the vicinity, which given Gaza has no power is an impossibility.