Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Fair enough- I’ve posted a lot - too much - and apologise to everyone - I’ll try and post less ..but I will answer if someone has directly quotes me …

I try to be balanced and fair and understand see other people‘s POV but guess with relatives in Israel, friends of family with kids doing military service, and 2nd generation Holocaust survivor - I am involved- have been for years and what’s going on in Israel is literally causing divisions in the wider family .. and all very distressing- if I’ve made anyone feel they can’t post alternative views, I apologise for that too.

I haven’t tried to control the narrative or bully anyone or been rude - at least that’s not how it’s seemed to me, I think I’ve articulated what is essentially a fairly middle of the road majority opinion on here but I’ve done so too loudly and too much that I know 🙁

Please feel free to put me on ignore or post more -or whatever - of course your views are absolutely valid and I’‘m sorry if you have felt my posts haven’t allowed you to express them - there’s enough conflict in the world without me adding to it on here.
Stand firm, keep posting on this thread please.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My niece and some of her ex- student friends was on that March in London ( it wasn’t all Palestinians btw) and said it was overwhelmingly a peaceful March and heard no calls for Hamas…my niece is black so I know a little something about racial issues …Where ever racial profiling occurs whether by accident or deliberate - it should be pulled up and called out - which the BBC was even if it was an inadvertent error.

Racial profiling and Islamophobia exist as does anti-semitism - its not a POV

The BBC apologised so they know that too.
Who said it was a point of view?

Who said that racial profiling and Islamophobia doesn't exist?

Who said that every report claimed support for Hamas?

In a highly charged atmosphere, you're over-reacting. It's important to keep a level head at times like these.

By all means show your passion - which I admire - but also judge when something should be attacked for being Islamophobic and when it should be recognised that an organisation is admitting an error.

It's possible that you didn't even realise that this error had been made until the BBC published its own apology. And that's the difference between an organisation that tries to run itself according to impartiality and one that does not.

EDIT: And have seen your post above now @Zeberdi which I agree with whole-heartedly. Stay strong.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

'BBC gets 1,500 complaints over Israel-Hamas coverage, split 50-50 on each side

Objections divided almost evenly between those who say there is bias against Israel and those who think it is against Palestinians'

Yep, pretty much means they are doing a good job.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

'BBC gets 1,500 complaints over Israel-Hamas coverage, split 50-50 on each side

Objections divided almost evenly between those who say there is bias against Israel and those who think it is against Palestinians'

Who'd like to try and navigate the BBC through periods such as this? They're attacked from all directions in times of relative calm - I can't imagine what it's like right now. Walking on eggshells doesn't even come close...

Over the years I have repeatedly been told NSC is too right-wing and, by others, too left-wing.

My best guess is that many people today are so accustomed to algorithms serving them content that aligns with their existing views, that when they see alternative opinions expressed they find it quite jarring.

Right now, I'm also being told that NSC is antisemitic. I'm not aware of a single antisemitic comment on here, and I'd encourage anyone who sees one to use the report post option to bring it to our attention so we can take action.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yep, pretty much means they are doing a good job.
They're not perfect but generally they a pretty good job. First class people on the ground like Jeremy Bowen and Clive Miory

Just compare the Beeb with the deeply polarising News channels in the US which is hideous

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Yeah - just like it was Guy Fawkes’ ‘Plan’ to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605 - not all plans work and some are just downright machiavellian …some are both

Which is different from your original excuse "The peace process started in the 60s", I'm not getting into a rolling argument with someone who is moving the goalposts and probably wrong at each step, as Trumps plan was working until Biden got in and screwed everything up.

Have a nice day.:)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Which is different from your original excuse "The peace process started in the 60s", I'm not getting into a rolling argument with someone who is moving the goalposts and probably wrong at each step, as Trumps plan was working until Biden got in and screwed everything up.

Have a nice day.:)
You have some odd ideas.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Who said it was a point of view?
No one - read back on the posts please
Who said that racial profiling and Islamophobia doesn't exist?
No one - please read back on my posts
In a highly charged atmosphere, you're over-reacting. It's important to keep a level head at times like these.
I have kept my head all through this thread - just 🙂 despite being personally attacked and / or baited at times - it’s because it is a highly charged and an emotive subject , I have been very keen for us to have a sensible and rational debate - this thread was already locked down - it would be a real disservice to all those that feel a need to discuss and follow the issues if that happened again.

EDIT @Hamilton - just seen your edit above @ # 1686 thanks for the edit 😊

I don’t really see the relevance of posting BBC viewing surveys of people who live in the West to argue against my point that we all have an inbuilt cultural and ethnoreligous bias in the West - not wrong not right - just a different POV and worldview to those in the Arab world or Asia ! - A white secular Jew living in Brighton is going to have a different POV to an Hasidic Rabbi who’s lived in Jerusalem all his life - me saying that is not a POV it’s a fact. If you casted the same survey to Muslims who have grown up under occupation in Gaza they would not consider the BBC or any other Western media 50:50 impartial on the support for Israel. That’s just how it is. But just to reiterate I was not calling BBC intentionally Islamophobic - My comments are in the context of the British media (and Government) reporting around Palestinian peace protestors and making all about hand-gliders on jackets, one or two scuffles/fights and jihadists - when there were thousands of Palestinians marching around cities that day with no incidents- just a demonstration to support the rights of Palestinians to self-determination - we need to broaden the narrative IMHO 🤷🏻‍♂️

How can we possibly begin find peace between nations if we can not even understand that?

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Trumps plan was working until Biden got in and screwed everything up.
Within two and a half years of Trump leaving office we have war in Europe and a very significant war in the middle East with potential for massive escalation; some plan.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
A school within Gaza has been hit by air strikes from Israel, with six civilians killed.
Around 4,000 Palestinians were sheltering in the school, located in the al-Maghazi refugee camp within Gaza; many are now injured or dead.
The UN who reported the incident stated that "it again shows a flagrant disregard for the lives or civilians... no place in Gaza is safe anymore, not even UN facilities... they had and still have nowhere else to go" - this source has been found on the BBC website.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Reports that a hospital has taken a direct hit in Gaza, talk of hundreds of fatalities....terrible times.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Biden arriving tomorrow, the Israeli actions today making his job much harder to act as a broker, the US might well start reeling Israel in now

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The global goodwill towards Israel will start to diminish rapidly with reports of these sort of attacks.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Who'd like to try and navigate the BBC through periods such as this? They're attacked from all directions in times of relative calm - I can't imagine what it's like right now. Walking on eggshells doesn't even come close...

Over the years I have repeatedly been told NSC is too right-wing and, by others, too left-wing.

My best guess is that many people today are so accustomed to algorithms serving them content that aligns with their existing views, that when they see alternative opinions expressed they find it quite jarring.

Right now, I'm also being told that NSC is antisemitic. I'm not aware of a single antisemitic comment on here, and I'd encourage anyone who sees one to use the report post option to bring it to our attention so we can take action.
To me it appears that NSC is largely dominated by Lefties, albeit it soppy white middle class ones who wouldn't know a struggle unless it mistakenly appeared on their Waitrose receipt. ;)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Fair enough- I’ve posted a lot - too much - and apologise to everyone - I’ll try and post less ..but I will answer if someone has directly quotes me …

I try to be balanced and fair and understand see other people‘s POV but guess with relatives in Israel, friends of family with kids doing military service, and 2nd generation Holocaust survivor - I am involved- have been for years and what’s going on in Israel is literally causing divisions in the wider family .. and all very distressing- if I’ve made anyone feel they can’t post alternative views, I apologise for that too.

I haven’t tried to control the narrative or bully anyone or been rude - at least that’s not how it’s seemed to me, I think I’ve articulated what is essentially a fairly middle of the road majority opinion on here but I’ve done so too loudly and too much that I know 🙁

Please feel free to put me on ignore or post more -or whatever - of course your views are absolutely valid and I’‘m sorry if you have felt my posts haven’t allowed you to express them - there’s enough conflict in the world without me adding to it on here.
I've learned a lot from your posts (and the replies), facts and opinions alike. Please keep posting 👍.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here