Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I agree. However, large swathes of the rest of us are essentially aiding and abetting the one percent of nut jobs.

All the while most humans value material possessions and power over others so highly, we'll likely never be capable of peaceful coexistence.
I'm not sure I've seen a single person on NSC, either on this thread or anywhere else, post in a way to suggest they are a "hater of Israel".

I've certainly seen a lot of posts, and I include some of my own in this, question a state having seemingly little/no regard for the lives of millions of innocent people. You think it's acceptable to drop some leaflets and give over a million people a few hours notice to move. Many, including the WHO, disagree...

Evacuation orders to hospitals are a death sentence - WHO​

The World Health Organization (WHO) says it strongly condemns Israel's orders for the evacuation of 22 hospitals treating more than 2,000 patients in northern Gaza.​
WHO said that the lives of those in intensive care or who rely on life support; newborns in incubators, and many others hang in the balance, in a statement.​
"Forcing more than 2,000 patients to relocate to southern Gaza... could be tantamount to a death sentence," the statement says.​
The WHO says that health workers have overwhelmingly chosen to stay behind, rather than risk moving their critically ill patients, a choice it calls "impossible".​
It also warns that many civilians are seeking refuge around hospitals, saying that their lives, too, are at risk "when health facilities are bombed".​
The WHO ends its statement by calling for Israel "to immediately reverse evacuation orders to hospitals in northern Gaza," and calls for "the protection of health facilities, health workers, patients, and civilians".​
You’re correct. No one on this thread has said they hate Israel, but I’d suggest many do detest Israeli foreign policy.

The thing that winds me up is that whenever anybody slags Israel off, they nearly always get accused of being an anti-Semite. This is just wrong, and it makes people reluctant to speak out publicly. For me, my criticism of Israel has nothing to do with religion, but everything to do with humanity.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair enough - I was genuinely convinced as there’s a lot of similarities and the posts of both have been very challenging to deal with for me personally on a number of levels as they’ve both inflamed posters to make some pretty vitriolic comments about ‘Israel‘ the Country (as opposed to the people that have been running it and Netanyah’s Religous Zionists in particular…) which are a little triggering and difficult to read nothwithstanding very true and ok to say.

I don’t think for one minute any comments have been anti-semitic and thats not what I am saying - just to be clear!!

I’m just overly sensitive to it because ’Israel’ can also relate to people in Jewish history - ‘Israel’ = Jacob, ‘Israelites’ descendant of Jacob, all members of the 12 ‘tribes of Israel’ (of Jacob) etc and it is actually a beautiful Country with lovely people - just like most places in the world.

Apologies sincerely to @Steve Foster if I misjudged you
A few people have suggested the same, and some seem to be quite sure, but there is no data I have available to me that backs that up yet.

Given the posting styles and consistent themes, I can see why you thought as you did.

I'll add some people seem to be trying very hard to disguise their NSC usage right now. When people who are sitting in Sussex consistently access the site from overseas IP addresses, my Spidey Senses tingle. That generally doesn't happen unless they have something they are trying to hide.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Shabbat Shalom

Israeli opinion is as widespread & diverse as the UK. Have you lived/spent time in Israel? Do you have family living in Israel?
At least in Israel all views are recognised/tolerated like here unlike the Palestinian’s lives.
They need rid of Hamas. Israel needs rid of Hamas.
USA will allow Israel to do the job.
I'll ask again, since you may have missed the post where I asked you before.

What is your view on Netanyahu telling members of his own party that they need to support Hamas if they don't wish there to a be a two state solution?

Again, just in case you missed it the first time, here's the Haaretz article link for you:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You’re correct. No one on this thread has said they hate Israel, but I’d suggest many do detest Israeli foreign policy.

The thing that winds me up is that whenever anybody slags Israel off, they nearly always get accused of being an anti-Semite. This is just wrong, and it makes people reluctant to speak out publicly. For me, my criticism of Israel has nothing to do with religion, but everything to do with humanity.

Anti semites have been around on nsc, but when outed, they got banned one earlier this year.

Anti semitism is a very real and growing thing in the UK. LBC journalists for example have described it in the past as a three-pronged attack - some hard left, Islamic extremists and far right/Icke types. Attacks and threats rose markedly after Hamas raped and carried out infanticide last week.

This subject in general most people seem to have a very set view either way, unwavering through the decades. I’ve spoke with people this week who think they know it all from some online research, I was told that the Jewish people have absolutely no historical connection with the lands we know as Palestine/Israel. When balanced radio presenters such as Shelagh Fogerty talked about last Saturday’s murders she was told that she/LBC/BBC were fascists.

You may not be an anti semite, but you’d be surprised at how much there is in this country. It’s they who conflate Isreal and its right wing governments actions, with ordinary people in the UK who happen to have Jewish heritage.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
A fascinating video looking at a discussion amongst Israelis and Palestinians about the conflict, focusing on different topics which have been referenced in this thread.

Highly recommended, despite being posted four years ago (y)

Last edited:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I'll ask again, since you may have missed the post where I asked you before.

What is your view on Netanyahu telling members of his own party that they need to support Hamas if they don't wish there to a be a two state solution?

Again, just in case you missed it the first time, here's the Haaretz article link for you:

In my observations, whilst SF comments are often, they are typically lightweight, normally Daily Mail deep in nature, if that helps!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
A link and extract to an article sent to me by a Jewish relative earlier

JEWISH GRIEF MUST NOT BE USED AS A WEAPON OF WAR “
“It is in our tradition to sit shiva for seven days—to pause to reflect and to mourn. But I cannot sit back while Jewish grief and trauma is weaponized by the Israeli government to destroy Gaza. As I write this, Israel just announced that the 1.1 million Palestinians in northern Gaza—half of them children—will have 24 hours to flee, which the UN has already deemed impossible. The US government is beating the drums of war, rushing to send more weapons to the Israeli military to wreak utter devastation.

We do not need to choose between grieving and acting. As our forebears taught us, we must mourn the dead by fighting like hell for the living.

Make no mistake: The Israeli government is using genocidal rhetoric against Palestinians. Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu asserted: What we will do to our enemies will reverberate for generations.” The Israeli minister of defence announced the complete and total closure of Gaza, saying, “No electricity, no food, no water, no fuel. Everything is closed. We are fighting human animals, and we act accordingly.” The Israeli president is refusing to distinguish between Palestinian civilians and Hamas fighters.

We as Jews know all too well how dangerous this rhetoric is, the way in which the unthinkable becomes acceptable when we deny people their humanity.”

Full text here

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A fascinating video looking at a discussion amongst Israelis and Palestinians about the conflict, focusing on different topics which have been referenced in this thread.

Highly recommended, despite being posted four years ago (y)

Inspirational, and a timely reminder that the power in this conflict is the leadership of each side. For me, this is where the blame also lies.

Maybe it is possible for normal everyday people to change the situation. How do we support this happening, human to human, person to person.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Thanks for posting this. I saw it earlier and it defies belief.

What also defies belief, or perhaps not, is @Steve Foster deliberate attempt to fuse opposition to the polices and actions of the Israeli government with anti-Semitic sentiment. This has been a clever political ploy for some time and what I would expect from some politicians within the party he represents.

This is a tactic that I feel is frequently used by those defending the actions of the Israeli government. I actually wonder if it is an ‘unspoken policy’ endorsed by many members of the Jewish faith. This week figures were released by the CST (Community Service Trust, who in their own words ‘protect the Jewish community in the UK) showing a 464% increase in anti semetic incidents in the UK compared to the same week last year. To be honest I do not find this entirely surprising due to the events in Gaza in the last 7 days. But what I would ask is ‘when did the CST publish any figures showing a drop in such incidents?’. There seems to be a constant media campaign being conducted to minimise negative comment of Israeli/Jewish issues, and it seems the establishment falls for it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Purposely dismissing the counter-arguments focusing on the negatives of Israel does not form an engaging conversation - you have to acknowledge the reasonable points that many NSCers may have against your comments and therefore explain why you deem these false, usually with sources.

For example, if I were to say that Israel has been involved in bombing several innocent civilians evacuating from Northern Gaza today through their so-called "safe routes" - would you continue to strongly defend Israel? And that is only one of the many atrocities Israel has done.

EDIT: It almost seems that you are "supportive" of Israel, but may I must mention this is not a football match.
As he says, SF offers only a total defence of Israel, often accompanied with accusations of anti semitism. He is totally blind to any wrong doing by Israel and dismisses any suggestion of wrong doing without thought.

My suggestion is to consider if this has any worth in a reasonable and indepth discussion of the subject.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thanks for posting this. I saw it earlier and it defies belief.

What also defies belief, or perhaps not, is @Steve Foster deliberate attempt to fuse opposition to the polices and actions of the Israeli government with anti-Semitic sentiment. This has been a clever political ploy for some time and what I would expect from some politicians within the party he represents.

What he doesn't realise, and clearly cares even less about, is how hurtful it is to label people as such through false allegations.

He states 'Unless you have lived, have direct connections, visited Israel - you will never know how unique, marvelous, beautiful & peaceful place it is - which it’s enemies hate with a passion'

I haven't visited Israel and am probably unlikely ever to now, which is sad as it was the one country I wanted to go to. But all that he says there is correct when referencing the testimonies of those who I know have been. This does not, however, countenance the truth about the actions of its rulers in Palestine.

I don't expect his mind to be changed. He is intransigent politically and intransigent on this issue. I'm just pleased to have read balanced opinions and learnt more on the historical issue from folk like @Zeberdi who is clearly aware that there are no 'Jew haters' here and if there were they would soon be removed.

Well said, I think you have highlighted an important distinction between country and government.

It is perfectly normal to fully support a country and its people while being appalled by the actions of its government.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This is a tactic that I feel is frequently used by those defending the actions of the Israeli government.
It has certainly has by the far-right supporters of Netanyahu’s government and has been recognised as such - but it is not a tactic that is mutually exclusive to extreme Religious Zionists nor is even being Jewish a pre-requisite for such a tactic - In fact, the most vociferous (to our audiences ) defenders of the actions of the Israeli Government in relation to the Israel-Hamas War have frequently been Western (non-Jewish!) Governments with a political agenda in supporting Israel, swathes of mainstream media (and those influenced by it) or insidiously, those who would have an Islamophobic agenda in supporting Netanyahu’s treatment of the Palestinian people - - and remember too, in all times of War, where the citizens of any Country perceive themselves to be under attack, people of any ethnic group generally become more blindly ‘nationalistic’ and defensive during hostilities and in the immediate aftermath of a major atrocity being committed against them - (a fact failing political leaders are well aware of!) -
I actually wonder if it is an ‘unspoken policy’ endorsed by many members of the Jewish faith.…This week figures were released by the CST (Community Service Trust, who in their own words ‘protect the Jewish community in the UK) showing a 464% increase in anti semetic incidents in the UK compared to the same week last year.
I refer you to my above comment - I do think we need to be careful with our generalising or when casting unfounded suspicion on groups of people where it’s not warranted or falling into the trap of homogeneity - homogeneity arises from unfamiliarity which can generate fear and suspicion, the very things that can actually give rise to anti-semitism (or Islamophobia or any other kind of discrimination ) When talking about the ‘weaponising’ of anti-semitism for ulterior motives I think we should be very specific when referring to whoever we think is doing it and be careful to avoid making sweeping statements or planting seeds of suspicion when it’s not warranted. While ‘anti-semitism’ should absolutely never be misappropriated or weaponised for political gain and should be called out when proven that it is - it should never be likewise misappropriated or weaponised by those who would have anti-semitic reasons for ‘cancelling‘ or downplaying anti-semitic behaviour when it does occurs. The implications of a belief in society that increasing levels of anti-semitism are largely down to ‘accusations of anti-semitism’ being used as tools for nefarious purposes is obvious.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It has certainly has by the far-right supporters of Netanyahu’s government and has been recognised as such - but it is not a tactic that is mutually exclusive to extreme Religious Zionists nor is even being Jewish a pre-requisite for such a tactic - In fact, the most vociferous (to our audiences ) defenders of the actions of the Israeli Government in relation to the Israel-Hamas War have frequently been Western (non-Jewish!) Governments with a political agenda in supporting Israel, swathes of mainstream media (and those influenced by it) or insidiously, those who would have an Islamophobic agenda in supporting Netanyahu’s treatment of the Palestinian people - - and remember too, in all times of War, where the citizens of any Country perceive themselves to be under attack, people of any ethnic group generally become more blindly ‘nationalistic’ and defensive during hostilities and in the immediate aftermath of a major atrocity being committed against them - (a fact failing political leaders are well aware of!) -

I refer you to my above comment - I do think we need to be careful with our generalising or when casting unfounded suspicion on groups of people where it’s not warranted or falling into the trap of homogeneity - homogeneity arises from unfamiliarity which can generate fear and suspicion, the very things that can actually give rise to anti-semitism (or Islamophobia or any other kind of discrimination ) When talking about the ‘weaponising’ of anti-semitism for ulterior motives I think we should be very specific when referring to whoever we think is doing it and be careful to avoid making sweeping statements or planting seeds of suspicion when it’s not warranted. While ‘anti-semitism’ should absolutely never be misappropriated or weaponised for political gain and should be called out when proven that it is - it should never be likewise misappropriated or weaponised by those who would have anti-semitic reasons for ‘cancelling‘ or downplaying anti-semitic behaviour when it does occurs. The impact of a belief in society that increasing levels of anti-semitism are largely down to ‘accusations of anti-semitism’ being used as tools for nefarious purposes is obvious.
All very fairly put and duly noted. As you are aware, I used the term ‘many’, not ‘all’.

I do feel that many western governments are often very wary of appearing anything but pro Israel due to the lessons of history. Here in Aus the equivalent of the CST are for some reason able to carry firearms when patrolling what are seen to be vulnerable properties and neighbourhoods. My son-in-law had a lively discussion with them when visiting my daughter before they were married as she lived almost next door to the Melbourne Holocaust Museum. As a former soldier, and current reservist, he was a little miffed to be stopped outside the said museum whilst trying to access my daughters apartment one evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports