Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
This thread is just reflective of NSC generally, lots of posters giving views and interested in learning more about an incredibly complex long standing conflict in the interests of trying to find a peaceful solution to innocent people being killed.

Interspersed with a few odd bigots desperately trying to avoid any detail that may prick their bubble of ignorance. (But possibly less bigots than accounts :wink:)
I'm still trying to work out what the Balkans war was all about.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What on earth has being a millennial got to do wit my this?
Age does come into things. I wouldn’t pay much attention to a five year olds opinion. The older you are, the more rounded rather your view might be, and there has been a influential pro Palestine bias in left liberal media for last few decades. And even political parties. That is ‘what on earth it has to do with it’, as I’m sure you could have worked out. The list of pro Hamas points struck me as rather naive, almost as if you’ve only listened to a Rock Stars understanding of something.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Age does come into things. I wouldn’t pay much attention to a five year olds opinion. The older you are, the more rounded rather your view might be, and there has been a influential pro Palestine bias in left liberal media for last few decades. And even political parties. That is ‘what on earth it has to do with it’, as I’m sure you could have worked out. The list of pro Hamas points struck me as rather naive, almost as if you’ve only listened to a Rock Stars understanding of something.

So old people can't be stupid and bigoted :laugh:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So we are dismissing the views of young people and rock stars?

Are their any other groups of people we can dismiss based on their shared age or occupation?

I am going with people whose age is also a prime number and town planners.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I'm afraid, I disagree for a number of reasons.

1. There are millennials in their 40s.
2. There are plenty of older people with views that are far from rounded.
3. The left's support for Palestine goes back beyond the last few decades.
4. Leftwing media in the UK doesn't have an overt pro-Palestine bias.
5. The poster didn't make any pro-Hamas points. In fact they said "I'm not happy islamists like Hamas and islamic jihad have gained such popularity."

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015

Are their any other groups of people we can dismiss based on their shared age or occupation?

People born on February 29th and advertising executives.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So old people can't be stupid and bigoted :laugh:
That’s just being deliberately obnoxious. If you’re older, you’ve likely learned more. Unless you’re a teenager. They know everything, it’s pointless arguing with.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Rock stars have a habit of a) seeing the world in a gloriously uncomplicated manner b) influence millions. So yes, I tend to steer clear of Bono and co when it comes to politics. I’d take Jeremy Bowens view of the ME all day long over Taylor Swifts, but you might not. As is your right obviously.

If you’re a bit older, you’ve had more of an opportunity to learn, see and experience. That’s all. In context of the post I commented on it seemed extraordinarily one sided, hence the comment. Of course I expected the backlash from the polaratti who turn these conversations into all or nothing, black or white. But do carry on.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Rock stars have a habit of a) seeing the world in a gloriously uncomplicated manner b) influence millions. So yes, I tend to steer clear of Bono and co when it comes to politics. I’d take Jeremy Bowens view of the ME all day long over Taylor Swifts, but you might not. As is your right obviously.

If you’re a bit older, you’ve had more of an opportunity to learn, see and experience. That’s all. In context of the post I commented on it seemed extraordinarily one sided, hence the comment. Of course I expected the backlash from the polaratti who turn these conversations into all or nothing, black or white. But do carry on.

Like I say, I feel the same about town planners, very detail orientated in their thinking and offer fail to see the bigger picture.

Is there any thinking more like black and white than assuming younger people offer little insight and older people are wise?

Last edited:

knekkebrød

May 20, 2018
Norway
All very laudable. Are you a millenial per chance?
Born in norway in 82. Learned how to walk in Brighton in 83* and that's my excuse for supporting the Albion =)

I am a leftie, as you suspect. And a believer in non violence. So although I claim the palestinians have the "right" to attack israeli armed forces(not civilians!) I believe it is a tragedy for everyone in the area.

* my parents studied there for about five months. During my stay Brighton got relegated from the top tier and lost a cup final, as you all know, so I figure it's best if I keep following Brighton from my sofa in Norway.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I will ,

I’m not glorying deaths of anyone nor would I ever do that. I said that Israel had the capability but wouldn’t behave like that !

I said that some Palestinians are glorying deaths , there are numerous social media postings of this and some even on the BBC .

Again how is that Islamophobia to report facts !

I’m not going to post anymore on this thread as fortunately in the big scheme of things your views however unreasonable aren’t going to make any difference to the conflict .

I’m sure your find another reason to ban me as I obviously don’t agree with your completely unreasonable view on this conflict or the likes of Westdene Seagull etc who presumably is allowed to be as anti sematic as he likes without any of the mods calling him out .

Israel is held to higher standards than any other country is clearly the message on NSC .

That’s anti sematic .
Nonsense and a tantrum. You haven’t read my posts properly and are inferring things that aren’t there. The last two paragraphs are factually incorrect

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Although I would describe her more as a pop star than rock start it turns out Taylor has got a pretty good handling on the situation. Close ties to Israel.

Her parody account also spent time in prison for refusing to join the Israeli army.

Both are way too young to know anything though.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Born in norway in 82. Learned how to walk in Brighton in 83* and that's my excuse for supporting the Albion =)

I am a leftie, as you suspect. And a believer in non violence. So although I claim the palestinians have the "right" to attack israeli armed forces(not civilians!) I believe it is a tragedy for everyone in the area.

* my parents studied there for about five months. During my stay Brighton got relegated from the top tier and lost a cup final, as you all know, so I figure it's best if I keep following Brighton from my sofa in Norway.
I salute your beliefs. How do you separate non violence from the ME conversation though? It’s laudable as said, but far from reality. Almost naive. In war, civilians are always killed. Especially when it’s often impossible to distinguish military from civilian. Wishing, hoping, expecting even demanding it’s all neatly separated and observed doesn’t strike me as very realistic. Hamas have no option but to fight as they do. In conventional warfare, they’d be wiped out. Such guerrilla ‘forever’ warfare is incredibly hard to defeat with conventional methods. Israel also suffers from being held to higher ideals and scrutiny versus an enemy backed by a rogue state where anything goes. I’ve never seen Israelis parading naked dead women’s corpses through the streets and spitting on them. How can anyone defend such action, even by association.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here