[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I've resisted posting on this thread and echo the thoughts that have been posted elsewhere by a number of people namely that it is the equivalent of levelling Ireland after the Brighton bombing. Both actions are wholly wrong and depressing in equal measure.

My biggest disappointment with the situation is the rhetoric. I don't hear anyone on Radios, press conferences or TV interviews in power appealing for calm, peace or dialogue. It's like they are all luzzing petrol on a well lit bonfire. Great job lads, that'll end well.
Yep, it's all depressingly predictable.
Must be something in the water, over the past few decades.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've resisted posting on this thread and echo the thoughts that have been posted elsewhere by a number of people namely that it is the equivalent of levelling Ireland after the Brighton bombing. Both actions are wholly wrong and depressing in equal measure.

My biggest disappointment with the situation is the rhetoric. I don't hear anyone on Radios, press conferences or TV interviews in power appealing for calm, peace or dialogue. It's like they are all luzzing petrol on a well lit bonfire. Great job lads, that'll end well.
Humza Yousaf, who has family in Gaza, has:

Humza Yousaf told BBC's Political Editor Chris Mason that he "fears for the situation" of his family members in Gaza.

He was speaking shortly after posting a video of his mother-in-law describing the situation on the ground, and said she was in a "real state of distress".

Yousaf called on the international community to "step up", and said there needed to be a ceasefire and a humanitarian corridor to allow supplies in and to allow people out.

Asked about Israel's actions, he said his message is pretty simple: "Innocent men, women and children cannot be victims. They cannot be simply thought of as collateral damage. The ends cannot simply justify the means. Collective punishment cannot and is not justified."

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Humza Yousaf told BBC's Political Editor Chris Mason that he "fears for the situation" of his family members in Gaza.

He was speaking shortly after posting a video of his mother-in-law describing the situation on the ground, and said she was in a "real state of distress".

Yousaf called on the international community to "step up", and said there needed to be a ceasefire and a humanitarian corridor to allow supplies in and to allow people out.

Asked about Israel's actions, he said his message is pretty simple: "Innocent men, women and children cannot be victims. They cannot be simply thought of as collateral damage. The ends cannot simply justify the means. Collective punishment cannot and is not justified."

He's right.
There is no excuse for what has been done, and no excuse for what may come.
Enough. Simply, enough.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Also I’m curious as to why you’ve put inverted commas round support (but not to the extent that you should take this as encouragement to reply).
I think @WATFORD zero has put inverted commas around the word 'support' as it isn't the correct terminology to use about this brutal conflict for reasons that have been repeatedly mentioned on this thread, including my message addressed to you.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Genuinely nice to read. Part of me thought they'd all given up

On the way to work today I listened to an ex Mossad agent saying we should bomb the shit out of Gaza else it would be seen as a sign of weakness elsewhere in the middle East. This was after snippets of Sunak giving it his best "Hit him Gaz" speech. Don't get me wrong, last Saturdays events were horrific and the accounts are harrowing but I find some of the retaliation rhetoric depressing and a guarantee of a further 40 years of conflict. It's almost like some of the major players are encouraging it.

Anyway, I think you've got some work to do banning that by the sea bloke looking at the other thread. Sorry it being Friday and all.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Genuinely nice to read. Part of me thought they'd all given up

On the way to work today I listened to an ex Mossad agent saying we should bomb the shit out of Gaza else it would be seen as a sign of weakness elsewhere in the middle East. This was after snippets of Sunak giving it his best "Hit him Gaz" speech. Don't get me wrong, last Saturdays events were horrific and the accounts are harrowing but I find some of the retaliation rhetoric depressing and a guarantee of a further 40 years of conflict. It's almost like some of the major players are encouraging it.

Anyway, I think you've got some work to do banning that by the sea bloke looking at the other thread. Sorry it being Friday and all.
He was banned about an hour ago. The "Last hurrah" thread was titled by me as I moved a load of his posts out of another thread he was trying to ruin.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I think @WATFORD zero has put inverted commas around the word 'support' as it isn't the correct terminology to use about this brutal conflict for reasons that have been repeatedly mentioned on this thread.
It’s established terminology.
I doubt many people take it in the context of football (like a tribal thing , as in ‘I support Brighton , I don’t support Palace’).
I presume most rational people recognise horrendous have been committed across the board, sadly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Banksy sums it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 83

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've thought about this from a slightly different angle most of this week...

One morning earlier this week, probably Tuesday, I was out for my regular early morning walk on the Downs with the dog. I nearly always listen to the 5Live breakfast show whilst on this walk and, on that particular day, they interviewed two people.

The first interviewee was in Gaza and spoke about the impact that the Israeli bombing was already having.

The following interviewee was in Israel and her sister was missing, presumed dead or taken hostage. At the very beginning of the interview, she hit back at the caller before her, saying that Gaza had brought it upon themselves and they didn't deserve power, water, medicine etc, and did deserve the might of Israel's army and air force. She was clearly in a terrible place, quite understandable given the fate she imagined had befallen her sister.

This made me wonder: what if, somehow, something similar had happened here. Let's pretend the Isle of Wight (pretty much the same size as Gaza coincidentally) was home to a terrorist organisation that wanted to cause us all harm and, at some point, managed to get in and perform the atrocities that Hamas inflicted on Israel. If I'd lost friends or family or, perhaps even if I hadn't, how would I feel if the RAF took to carpet-bombing the Isle of Wight to take out the terrorists but, also, kill untold others - all innocent bystanders?

Would I, like the Israeli interviewee, essentially think "f*** them all - they all deserve it?" or would I somehow be able to separate the bad guys from the good guys and find it in myself to see the scale of the vengeance as wrong?

I've only been able to conclude that I don't know the answer to that - it's unimaginable.

In the same way, I don't know what Israel should be doing now, but I very much fear for the consequences of the path they seem to be taking.
I feel very much the same.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

- On the issue of proportionally- don’t think many on NSC, or even round the world now can‘t see that Israel isn’t using a sledgehammer to crack a nut (your Brighton bombing analogy is very good) - nor is anyone not cognisant to the dynamics that could push Gaza over the edge into a regional conflict.- for days, Israel has been exchanging periodic rocket/mortar fire at Hezbollah targets both cross border with Syria and Lebanon.

What concerns me from the media (because of this lack of ‘calling for restraint’ in the US and UK media is I’m getting a sense that there’s an agenda building to initiate another conflict, under the auspices of the ’War on Terror’ , with Iran. Since Trump tore up the Iran Deal, the risk of war with Iran increased - Russia pulling out of the last nuclear arms pact with the US doesn’t help. Some of the rhetoric coming out of Washington has been hawkish to say the least.

However, there have been calls for restraint from China, Russia, Brazil, Jordan (who likely would be central to negotiating a ceasefire) and others ….

“Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukri also held a call with European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell to discuss developments, stating that both sides should exercise restraint to avoid serious risks.”

Japan urges all parties to exercise utmost restraint to prevent further harm.”

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
- On the issue of proportionally- don’t think many on NSC, or even round the world now can‘t see that Israel isn’t using a sledgehammer to crack a nut (your Brighton bombing analogy is very good) - nor is anyone not cognisant to the dynamics that could push Gaza over the edge into a regional conflict.- for days, Israel has been exchanging periodic rocket/mortar fire at Hezbollah targets both cross border with Syria and Lebanon.

What concerns me from the media (because of this lack of ‘calling for restraint’ in the US and UK media is I’m getting a sense that there’s an agenda building to initiate another conflict, under the auspices of the ’War on Terror’ , with Iran. Since Trump tore up the Iran Deal, the risk of war with Iran increased - Russia pulling out of the last nuclear arms pact with the US doesn’t help. Some of the rhetoric coming out of Washington has been hawkish to say the least.

However, there have been calls for restraint from China, Russia, Brazil, Jordan (who likely would be central to negotiating a ceasefire) and others ….

“Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukri also held a call with European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell to discuss developments, stating that both sides should exercise restraint to avoid serious risks.”

Japan urges all parties to exercise utmost restraint to prevent further harm.”

The leaders of our parties in this country falling over themselves not to appear antisimitic has led to this country sounding like we're all happy for a slaughter.

It makes me worried and a gut feeling of sadness.

FFS World get a grip.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Banksy sums it up.
Excellent work - Banksy has been doing amazing stuff in Israel and Palestine over the years - if only all conflicts were resolved using graffiti!

IMG_0682.jpeg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The leaders of our parties in this country falling over themselves not to appear antisimitic has led to this country sounding like we're all happy for a slaughter.

It makes me worried and a gut feeling of sadness.

FFS World get a grip.
Starmer lost my vote at the next election after his comments about the siege. I cannot support a party leader who is happy to the condone the death of thousands of innocents so as to maintain a public image. I can't get that out my head. Especially from a lawyer who is well versed in human rights.

Spoilt ballot paper it is. Starmer lost every ounce of respect I had for him in that one statement.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Israel/Gaza has been a complicated / horrific mess for a long time.
One thing is clear though.
Anyone who doesn’t condemn the recent massacre, holds the view that, under certain circumstances, murdering children is justified.
Killing children is the most horrific of crimes. It really doesn’t get any worse.

Nearly half of the Gaza population are under the age of 18. We should all think about that for a moment.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Starmer lost my vote at the next election after his comments about the siege. I cannot support a party leader who is happy to the condone the death of thousands of innocents so as to maintain a public image. I can't get that out my head. Especially from a lawyer who is well versed in human rights.

Spoilt ballot paper it is. Starmer lost every ounce of respect I had for him in that one statement.
He is so frightened, for himself and his party, to say anything crackpots can level at him he ends up being a prick. I expect no better from this government but this twat has someone close to him in Scotland who can speak the truth to him.

Out of touch doesn't come close.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes, as you say, that is certainly the risk. Perhaps the one glimmer of hope might be that other areas of the Middle East are rather more moderate and if the Israelis equally show willing, then there might at last be some sort of peace. If there is a bloodbath in the coming weeks, then it might perhaps have an eventual cathartic effect on all sides, bringing them to the negotiating table, but will it?
No

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
In this life the majority of us are moderate in our thinking. We want the best for all of us. We may, often, disagree how or why we should go in a certain direction. We listen, argue, despair at times but we show respect to others. This thread, in the main has been informative, offers various viewpoints. Some, now removed, have shown the extreme views on events. Mostly though there's been an agreement of the horrendous things we've seen from both sides, not just in the last week but for a long time. I do worry though the direction we will be taken by those that believe they know best.

I believe I have a grasp of history having studied events of many of the conflicts in the last century plus. I see as others do a repeat of events and the same result. We can't expect neither should we impose our values on others, we are hardly a fine example of how to get it right. Most are born, given hope and aspirations. We, fortunate to be born here, have a chance of achievement, many have little chance to in life. The World is a cruel place to many.

I suppose all I'm saying to those with extreme viewpoints on here it's so easy for us living in relative comfort to dictate, pass judgement but huge numbers are desperate, little hope and can only see a future of hopelessness. It's so easy to judge.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Starmer is a poor man’s Blair, and look where he lead this country.

#Notatoryvoter

Unfortunately Hamas is not just the Palestinian’s or Israel’s problem but the worlds problem. Even Egypt won’t open their border to Palestinians - been effectively closed since 2007, so it is Israel who supply the water, electricity & the flow of goods & services …. & in return the Israelis receive missiles from Hamas every year.

The civilised western world governments are overwhelmingly in support of Israel. There will be some tutting, but Israel will now sort this problem out once & for all.

And once Hamas is hopefully erased please God the poor subjected Palestinian people can get on with their lives & elect a government in fair elections - who knows in years to come, there could be peace, friendship & alliances just as Israel has now with former enemies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports