Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hair Transplants etc

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've heard it does indeed skip a generation but that it is grandfather the mothers side.

Man, why don't you have different names for them.

In Swedish:
grandma on the mothers side = mormor (mothermother)
grandma on the fathers side = farmor (fathermother)
grandpa on the mothers side = morfar (motherfather)
grandpa on the fathers side = farfar (fatherfather)

Very practical. Weird that despite the endless riches of the English language there are still some not so smooth things.
In English it is paternal grandmother and maternal grandmother.

My father started going bald at 18, and had lost most of his hair by 30. My son is already 52 and hasn’t lost his hair.
My hair is very thick.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Antonio Conte is the flagbearer in this market. If you can find out what he's done, then you'll have a think lustrous mane before the end of the season.
Conte went for a very expensive treatment where they implant individual hairs, including the follicles, after removing them from a donor. I believe the donor can be the same person, so repositioning hairs from one part of the head to another. I saw this on the Internet a couple of weeks ago. The clinic charges an insane amount per 200 hairs.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Read Jimmy White's autobiography.

How that man is still alive with the life he's led is astonishing. He had the hair transplant and said he'd never been in so much pain afterwards with his face completely bruised for a fortnight after.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Coopers would make you look like this for 2 Bob and thruppence
Bad Hair GIF by TV Land

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I reckon that’s not him and he’s paid someone to do it. The Swansman I know looks a lot more ropey and isn’t as articulate vocally.
Looks like an enviroment/marine science academic to me.

In my 50s and haven't cut my hair for a couple of years now, must be some kind of mid-life crisis and trying to revert to being in my 20s. A receeding hairline would keep the hair out of my eyes but I don't have that luxury.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A colleague had his done a few years ago and he’s always having to get it serviced. It looks like an ongoing expensive ball ache. And the results are not dramatic - he’s gone from bald to having thin hair.
If one op could guarantee Conte-esque results then I would seriously consider it. Im not sure on reality it’s the case though (unless you have Conte’s money).
So it wasn’t the hair on his head then?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A little weird maybe but I understand as I also tend to get really curious about such things.

Made a video a year ago or something where I described the horseconomy the Graham Potter Cult would introduce in society upon taking over the world, so here's me at least:

If Davy Propper took drugs.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I've heard it does indeed skip a generation but that it is grandfather the mothers side.

Man, why don't you have different names for them.

In Swedish:
grandma on the mothers side = mormor (mothermother)
grandma on the fathers side = farmor (fathermother)
grandpa on the mothers side = morfar (motherfather)
grandpa on the fathers side = farfar (fatherfather)

Very practical. Weird that despite the endless riches of the English language there are still some not so smooth things.

Yes, such as male cousin & female cousin, those two should be distinguished from each other.

What's the Swedish for stepmother's father and mother. The third set of grandparents.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I just cannot even begin to imagine why anyone would even consider it. There must be some vanity gene that i completely lack.

Same goes for women with boob jobs, and worst of all, those ridiculous Botox lips. Are women with lips like Mick Jagger actually attractive to anyone?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Looks like an enviroment/marine science academic to me.

In my 50s and haven't cut my hair for a couple of years now, must be some kind of mid-life crisis and trying to revert to being in my 20s. A receeding hairline would keep the hair out of my eyes but I don't have that luxury.
Do you sport a manbun or a ponytail?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Conte went for a very expensive treatment where they implant individual hairs, including the follicles, after removing them from a donor. I believe the donor can be the same person, so repositioning hairs from one part of the head to another. I saw this on the Internet a couple of weeks ago. The clinic charges an insane amount per 200 hairs.
The donor hair has to be from the person getting the transplant, you cannot take someone else's hair and put it on your head, the hairs get rejected.

There are broadly two options; one where a strip of scalp is cut off the back of your head (which is almost always 'permanent' hair that we don't lose), and then the individual follicles (containing 1 - 4 hairs each) are removed from the strip and are then 'punched' into the scalp. The alternative process involves no cutting a strip of head off, but instead individually removing follicles from the back and side of the scalp and inserting elsewhere. The difference is simply cost (and having a scar at the back, that they try to hide in the fold of your head).

In both cases, a saline solution is pumped in between the scalp and skull to stretch out the skin* in the receiving area, so that the follicles can be clustered nice and close - you don't hair like a 1980's Barbie doll after all.

It works very well if you have thick hair, and obviously if your baldness isn't too bad then it'll be incredible. If you have very fine hair, and are very bald, then you're going to have mixed results which are much more dependant on your physiology. To the person earlier in the thread, I haven't heard of people having to go back and service it, that seems weird. If you have one quite young, then chances are your hair will continue to recede behind the newly transplanted hair - which is permanent hair. So you might end up with a weird gap that will need filling. If not obvious, the hair taken from the donor area is entirely transplanted, it does not grow back of course because the follicle has been moved.

Source: I spent many, many hours researching this when I was losing my hair in my twenties. I realised it didn't need to define me and take over my whole life, so just shaved it off and got used to looking different. I will say, I completely understand those that are wrestling with this, it's really weird as I'm a generally confident guy, and remained confident with thinning and then no hair. But I just didn't recognise or like the face I saw in the mirror. Your hairline makes a massive difference to how you look, as the photo of the Dragon's Den guy above shows.

Couple of years ago a friend went to Turkey** for a transplant and to be fair, it looks incredible***. It was about £2,000. When I was looking, that was the deposit and the actual cost was over £20,000 (another reason I didn't do it I guess).

*Immediately after the procedure (takes absolutely hours) you will look like a monster, as the ton of saline starts to drain away from your bulging scalp and down the inside of your face. That'll sort itself out after an hour or so - but you'll want to get home / to the hotel to go through that :)
**due to Covid restrictions he actually ended up having it done in their London clinic (same price as it would have been flying to Turkey and staying there)
***he has loads of thick, dark hair, so there would have been acres of it at the back to pluck from.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would love to see a pic of you swansman and I think I speak for 99% of NSC - in fact I’d like to see your house / village or town / family / friends - oh shit this now sounds weird.
He posted a pic of himself taken 10 years ago a while back. Not a million miles away from this:

1677341730432.png

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
An imaginary friend of mine was keen to see if anyones had one - how successful was it? How much?

Anyone had any other hair treatment for hair loss etc?

Just be keen to find out any stories and after seeing the teeth thread thought I’d see…
Losing a bit on the sides these days , thought about it and decided that if i did that what would be next so don`t think i`ll bother . But some like the great Jimmy white look pretty strange , but i guess they have improved since when he got his . Numan give a 180 day money back guarantee , so maybe worth a butchers , you mention the teeth thread , i lost a few on a building site accident so have a plate , purely as an aside when i was a lot younger i would often need to go to the dentist for a hair cut :lolol: whatever your imaginary friend decides , i wish him the best .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here