Gym etiquette

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I dry my nether regions with a hair dryer at home. Much more pleasant than a towel

Deal with it

Have no problem with what other people do, but I have always liked rough towels, which is quite the opposite, I guess. None of this tumble drying towels to make them soft, both my wife and I like the feel of a rough towel. That might sound "suggestive", but it is not meant to be!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Have no problem with what other people do, but I have always liked rough towels, which is quite the opposite, I guess. None of this tumble drying towels to make them soft, both my wife and I like the feel of a rough towel. That might sound "suggestive", but it is not meant to be!

If you like it rough you should try drying yourself against a tree

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I can't stand men wandering around in the buff in changing rooms. Why do so many people do this? I don't wanna see that shit and I'm sure as hell they don't wanna see mine.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you like it rough you should try drying yourself against a tree

But that would probably have to involve Public Nudity. I would not want to inflict that on other people.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I didn't get on with the whole gym thing when I tried it. I'm quite a small framed fella and being surrounded by a lot of muscle bound blokes made me feel a tad uncomfortable.

Decided to invest in three excellent bits of kit:

- Pull up bar
- Set of dumbells
- Bench

I can do all the workout I need from the comfort of my home now.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Gyms are a waste of time and money.
Run,walk,swim do push ups,sit ups and pull ups.You will get fitter and slash the costs.
You also won't have to endure the changing room poseurs.

BTW.I bet women don't dry their front bottoms with a hairdryer.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I agree about the lack of need to urinate naked.

In the main it tends to be either pensioners or blokes who have trimmed themselves and have enormous schlongs who wander about with nothing on. It's even worse when they start having a conversation, always feel rude if I say nothing or slightly pervy if I reply.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can't stand men wandering around in the buff in changing rooms. Why do so many people do this? I don't wanna see that shit and I'm sure as hell they don't wanna see mine.

The worst I ever had was when I was sat down in the changing room after a workout and a bloke who look like his genitals had been transplanted from an elephant wanted to get to a locker and stood in front of me. I didn't know if he was looking for me to give him a compliment or feed it a bun, but it was an unnerving experience.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011

It's probably only the well endowed that do it, trying to make others feel inadequate.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Gyms are a waste of time and money.
Run,walk,swim do push ups,sit ups and pull ups.You will get fitter and slash the costs.
You also won't have to endure the changing room poseurs.

BTW.I bet women don't dry their front bottoms with a hairdryer.
Quite, get some free weights a chin bar across the door and a kettle ball, all those fancy machines are kack.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Yesterday, literally within 2 seconds of me finishing a set on the bench (fortunately it was actually my last set), this older guy came up to me and said "Make sure you take those weights off afterwards, I hate it when kids come in here and leave the weights on", which pissed me off as I always take the weight off anyway.

I hate how all old people make generalisations.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The worst I ever had was when I was sat down in the changing room after a workout and a bloke who look like his genitals had been transplanted from an elephant wanted to get to a locker and stood in front of me. I didn't know if he was looking for me to give him a compliment or feed it a bun, but it was an unnerving experience.

:laugh: :laugh:

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004

Thanks, coffee coming out of nose now

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The nice theory for gyms is to enforce etiquette by having people walk the job. However, few bother and the real issue is that often the worst offenders are the muscle bound meat head types who basically dare anyone to complain. Come the revolution bouncers should be banned from mainstream gyms so they can sweat, grunt,hog the weights, overload the stacks and deal roids to their hearts content in some little backstreet.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yesterday, literally within 2 seconds of me finishing a set on the bench (fortunately it was actually my last set), this older guy came up to me and said "Make sure you take those weights off afterwards, I hate it when kids come in here and leave the weights on", which pissed me off as I always take the weight off anyway.

I hate how all old people make generalisations.

I am old but don't go to the gym and so haven't ever said "Make sure you take those weights off afterwards, I hate it when kids come in here and leave the weights on"

I hate it when kids make generalisations :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The nice theory for gyms is to enforce etiquette by having people walk the job. However, few bother and the real issue is that often the worst offenders are the muscle bound meat head types who basically dare anyone to complain. Come the revolution bouncers should be banned from mainstream gyms so they can sweat, grunt,hog the weights, overload the stacks and deal roids to their hearts content in some little backstreet.

I used to go to a meat head gym in Warrington that was full of doormen. It was by far the best gym I've ever been to. Despite their scary looks, the blokes were all friendly and would always give advice to the less experienced lads. In my experience it's the knobs in the free weights area of the large chain gyms that tend to think that they're a bit special and don't need to tidy up their weights.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex

This has not been my experience. I've been a member of a few big muscle-head gyms in the past and I've found that they are usually the first to re-stack their weights as they don't like to have their workouts interrupted by looking for weights or removing them from weight stations. But this was in Canada and a number of years ago. I've only experienced university gyms and local Freedom Fitness gyms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports