Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gym etiquette

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have never been to the Gym since 2003 when I visited one in Muswell Hill to see what they are like, while changing to go in I was sat down on the bench taking my shoes off when a massive black chap came and started talking to me about Brazil.... he had one leg on the bench one straight and was completly naked with his dang swinging in my face. Needless to say I put my shoes back on and called it a day that was my one and only visit.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
We can turn it into one.

I really hate when people do not restock their weights after using them. This was a massive problem at the University of Sussex gym. Lots of idiot undergraduate students would leave plates on the bars and dumbbells spread all over the floor and simply walk away. If you ever suggested to them that maybe they could replace their weights they gave you this blank, vapid look, typically followed by, "uh...."

You need to have boots on the ground inside gyms like that - telling people off. That's the only way.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I have never been to the Gym since 2003 when I visited one in Muswell Hill to see what they are like, while changing to go in I was sat down on the bench taking my shoes off when a massive black chap came and started talking to me about Brazil.... he had one leg on the bench one straight and was completly naked with his dang swinging in my face. Needless to say I put my shoes back on and called it a day that was my one and only visit.

what do you have against Brazil?

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex

This made me howl!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not wiping down the machine after use gets on my wick. Don't really want to sit in some fat blokes arse sweat

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
We can turn it into one.

I really hate when people do not restock their weights after using them. This was a massive problem at the University of Sussex gym. Lots of idiot undergraduate students would leave plates on the bars and dumbbells spread all over the floor and simply walk away. If you ever suggested to them that maybe they could replace their weights they gave you this blank, vapid look, typically followed by, "uh...."

You need to have boots on the ground inside gyms like that - telling people off. That's the only way.

Couldn't agree more. An key to any gym actually working is people putting the weights back. The moment everyone has to search all over the place for weights (the gym I go to is over 2 floors), it becomes pointless. I like to get in there, do my thing and get out feeling good. I don't want to spend 5 minutes between sets looking for the correct weight. As a continuation of this theme, I hate dumbbell hoarders - I understand needing 2 sets of dumbbells for drop sets, etc. But do you really need 4 or 5 sets at a time?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
agree with OP.

The other thing that annoys me is blokes who insist, in a crowded changing room, in spraying some disgusting aerosol spray all over the place. I assume it's deodorant or some such (why they need it rather than just washing themselves, beats me), but inevitably the sprays smell like toilet cleaner and I resent having to inhale these noxious fumes which make my eyes water.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Couldn't agree more. An key to any gym actually working is people putting the weights back. The moment everyone has to search all over the place for weights (the gym I go to is over 2 floors), it becomes pointless. I like to get in there, do my thing and get out feeling good. I don't want to spend 5 minutes between sets looking for the correct weight. As a continuation of this theme, I hate dumbbell hoarders - I understand needing 2 sets of dumbbells for drop sets, etc. But do you really need 4 or 5 sets at a time?

Cable stack monopolizers are right up there as well. I don't know why some people think they need 10 sets on the lat pull stack. My better half hates when she asks how many sets people have left and this is the answer. I tell her to ask if she can work in but she doesn't want to trouble anyone. You almost have to be a little obstinate with hoarders/monopolizers.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Another thing that gets me is blokes having a naked piss in the changing room toilets. I don't know why, but standing there at the urinals wearing nothing except a pair of flip flops and having a piss is just wrong.

Don't get me started on actual weight room etiquette. It pisses me off so much that I've splashed out on an olympic bar, squat rack and bench in my cellar - I only use the gym for swimming and spinning sessions now.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Another thing that gets me is blokes having a naked piss in the changing room toilets. I don't know why, but standing there at the urinals wearing nothing except a pair of flip flops and having a piss is just wrong.

Don't get me started on actual weight room etiquette. It pisses me off so much that I've splashed out on an olympic bar, squat rack and bench in my cellar - I only use the gym for swimming and spinning sessions now.

Spinning. You my friend are a headcase.

I love the occasional spinning class, but feck me, it kills. I do, however, like the fact that I can take off my shirt afterwards and ring out the sweat. There is something absolutely minging, but entirely satisfying about that.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Some inconsistency here?

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex

At least they were wearing flip flops. Most of the old men that go in the morning stand there in their bare feet.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I think I would rather do without the pictures - even if there were any.

I used to see someone fairly regularly drying between his toes with a hair dryer in the Gym changing rooms - I suppose it has something to do with Athlete's Foot, or avoidance of it. But he would always do it in a state of undress.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Real men also don't go to the gym.

Agreed, only posers, men going through a midlife crisis, and men told to or coerced by there better halfs.

Real men eat pies, drink real ale and fight on friday night down the local pub then go home have a kebab on the way and beat up their partners when they get in or fall asleep on the sofa in their undercrackers..... thats a real man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here